Joined 5720 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 217 of 223
18 December 2009 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 
Success! No computer problems so far, so I can post my translation. The song is
Små Små Steg by Mitt Piano. My Swedish is still at a very low level, and this is a literal translation which will likely have some mistakes and probably can't be sung.

Stanna kvar
Snälla sov över här
Jag är din nu
Jag öppnar mig
Du får ta del av min förvirrade värld

Stay (or remain?)
Please sleep over night here
I am yours now
I open myself
You are may (or "are permitted") to take part in my confused (bewildering?) world

Nitton dar
Vi har väl känt varandra tillräckligt länge nu
Jag öppnar dörren
Snälla stanna här tills det blir ljus

Nineteen days(?) dar looks like a colloquial spelling, but I'm not sure.
We have known well each other sufficiently long now
I open the door
Please stay here til it becomes light

Det var när du sa:
Du tar ju bara små små steg
Det händer ingenting, det där
Du måste våga chansa mer
Våga se vart det bär

It was when you said
You took that only small small step
It happened nothing (Nothing happened) it's where
You must dare to take a chance more
Dare to see where it leads

Ner för gatorna
Över parkeringen
Håll ihop mig
Vi delar en taxi
Tio minuter, jag är din i kväll

Go down (?) the streets
beyond the parking (parking lot/car park)
keep together me
We share a taxi
Ten minutes, I am yours tonight

Följ med mig hem
Om du är osäker, så var osäker med mig
Bortglömda känslor, raderade tankar
Nu minns jag igen

Follow with me home
If you are unsure, then be unsure with me
Forgotten feelings (sentiments, emotions?) erased thoughts
Now recall I again

Det var när du sa:
Du måste våga chansa mer
Våga se vart det bär

It was when you said
You took that only small small step
It happened nothing (Nothing happened) it's where
You must dare to take a chance more
Dare to see where it leads

Have to go now, I'll finish this later.
EDIT: I would have finished this earlier, but I was very busy in the evening.

God natt och sov gott!
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 19 December 2009 at 11:18am

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6499 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 218 of 223
19 December 2009 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
Du får ta del av min förvirrade värld
You are (allowed to) take part in my confused world

'dar' is a colloquial spelling for "dagar" (days), but I have seen it before

Vi har väl känt varandra tillräckligt länge nu
We have probably known each other sufficiently long now

Snälla stanna här tills det blir ljus
Sweetie, stay here until it gets light (ie. sunrise)

You take after-all just small small steps

nothing is going to happen, ...

"det där" is somewhat difficult to translate, - literally it is "that there"

Good luck with your Swedish

Edited by Iversen on 19 December 2009 at 7:38pm

mick33
United States
Joined 5720 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 219 of 223
24 December 2009 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
Thanks again for the corrections Iversen. Well, I should've known that this week would not be a great one for my language studies, but I did practice Finnish pronunciation yesterday and Monday night I read an interesting article about "chorusing" that Doviende linked to in his Swedish log.

Since I won't post again until next week, I wish everyone a Merry Christmas.

Mick

mick33
United States
Joined 5720 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 220 of 223
31 December 2009 at 10:13am | IP Logged 
First, I hope everyone had a merrier Christmas than I did; I was so sick over Christmas that I couldn't really enjoy the holiday and language learning was definitely out of the question until Saturday.

Now for some good news: One of the Christmas gifts I asked for was a Spanish Bible and I got it! Now I need to use it in my studies.

Saturday I intended to make up for lost time by studying Swedish, Finnish, and Spanish, but what I actually did was read about Övdalsk (English-Elfdalian, Swedish-Älvdalska or Älvdalsmål). I read two interesting articles about Övdalsk; one was about field research but fortunately was not very technical, while the second article calls Övdalsk "The vernacular of Dalarna" but then declares that "Elfdalian is unique among the Nordic varieties spoken in the territory of Sweden. With these features, Elfdalian seems to fill enough criteria
to justify its recognition as an independent language, separate from Swedish." Övdalsk doesn't quite sound like Swedish to me, but I still need to learn more Swedish to really recognize the differences. So yes, I was once again tricked into reading yet another dialect vs. separate language debate. I'm not bothered by it this time; given that Övdalsk is only spoken by about 3,000 people in what looks like a beautiful though somewhat isolated rural region of Sweden.

God natt
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 03 June 2010 at 11:43pm

mick33
United States
Joined 5720 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 221 of 223
01 January 2010 at 12:55am | IP Logged 
My studies were sidetracked again! I knew I should study first then read emails and interesting threads in this forum.

Since this is the last day of 2009, I think it's time to look back on my TAC experience and what I learned from it. The first thing I realized was that I need to set specific goals for what I want to learn, so that I can have some way to measure my progress and more importantly to keep myself focused. My goals last year were:
mick33 wrote:
For my second post I will make mention of my language learning goals for this year and explain the methods I use to study languages.

My Goals
1a. To learn Afrikaans well enough to actually be able to carry on a coherent and intelligent conversation that could last more than a few minutes 1b. Stop mentally trying to translate spoken or written messages from Afrikaans to English or vice versa which leads me to 1c. Read and write well enough that I will only very rarely need to look up words in a dictionary. In short bring my knowledge and abilities in Afrikaans to nearly the same level as my knowledge and abilities in English. I fully intend to accomplish the above goal(s) by the end of 2009   

2a. Learn at least the basics of Spanish: starting with a little bit of grammar and vocabulary so that I can actually form correct sentences that are usable in everyday speech, listen to enough music and radio broadcasts to get used to how Spanish sounds and then begin singing along with the recorded songs to hopefully help improve my pronunciation.

3. Do scriptorium exercises in both Spanish and Afrikaans daily spending about a half hour on each language.
These weren't bad goals but I should have been more detailed in my plans.

Happy New Year to all!
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 02 January 2010 at 8:31pm

mick33
United States
Joined 5720 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 222 of 223
04 January 2010 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
My Final Post about TAC 2009 I know it's now 2010, but I started TAC 2009 late too.

After rereading this log yet again, I realize just how unorganized and inconsistent I sometimes was last year. In spite of that, I actually did learn a bit of 4 languages, something I never would have believed to be possible when I first joined this forum.

To be more specific, and more honest, I think made the most progress in Spanish. I think I am still at a very low level; that is to say I still very quickly switch to English when speaking and rely way too much on bilingual dictionaries when reading or writing. Some readers may consider my next statement blasphemous, but again I must be truthful and admit that the Spanish class was actually good for me, Why? Because I had to focus on Spanish for at least an hour a day which I may not have otherwise done. I know that months ago I complained about learning vocabulary words I may not often use, but now I realize that this is actually a good thing which can only help me in gaining and maintaining passive knowledge. Besides, I know plenty of English words I only rarely, or sometimes never, say and almost never encounter in reading.

I learned a little bit of Swedish and Finnish; but I'd rate my knowledge and skills in those languages as only barely above a smattering, meaning I can greet people and ask a few simple questions but wouldn't likely understand most responses and I can only read these languages if I have a dictionary close so that I can look up nearly every other word. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by this, I started these languages later in the year and spent a bit of time pondering whether to actually study them or not.

My knowledge of Afrikaans did not improve much and my goals (which I quoted in the previous post) were not quite met, I can write somethings without consulting a dictionary but I still mentally translate too often and my skills in Afrikaans are not close to "nearly the same level as my knowledge and abilities in English."

I had fun doing TAC, and learned that setting specific goals and making consistent effort are absolutely necessary for me to make further progress in these languages. Thank you to everyone who offered their advice, encouragement, or other comments. I hope everyone who read this log liked reading it as much as I liked writing it. I wish everyone luck in their language studies in 2010.

I have already began TAC 2010 today, but I will make my first "official" TAC 2010 post tomorrow. I wanted to simply rename this log, but I think since it's a new year I'll start a new one; 28 pages for my first TAC log is quite long enough.

Mick

Edited by mick33 on 05 January 2010 at 9:12am

2 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5720 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 223 of 223
05 January 2010 at 10:02am | IP Logged 
My 2010 TAC log can be found here.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 223 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version