Groupie
United States
Joined 5577 days ago

77 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian, Latin

Message 97 of 223
25 April 2009 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
I was wondering what materials you've been using to learn Afrikaans. I've been studying it on the side for about a month, but I'm not very impressed with my "Teach Yourself Afrikaans".
1 person has voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5733 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 98 of 223
26 April 2009 at 5:12am | IP Logged 
couragepiece93 wrote:
I was wondering what materials you've been using to learn Afrikaans. I've been studying it on the side for about a month, but I'm not very impressed with my "Teach Yourself Afrikaans".
Welkom couragepiece93, Ek is baie bly dat jy ook Afrikaans leer. Yes, I do use Teach Yourself Afrikaans sometimes, I think it's ok as an introduction to Afrikaans but more sources are necessary. I've mentioned some links in the Collaborative Writing room. I must go study some math right now, so I'll probably repost the links here later on tonight.

EDIT: Well it's after midnight on the West Coast of North America, so I am again posting in the wee hours of Sunday morning. I know I have indeed already posted various links to websites I use to help me learn Afrikaans; however these links are scattered throughout this log, my first log and a few other posts. I think it may be quite helpful to have one list of links for Afrikaans, so here they are.

Afrikaans.us As far as I know this is still the best website there is for learning Afrikaans.

Rieme woordeboek A printed dictionary would definitely be better, but this site is still very helpful.

interpret.co.za Another online dictionary, not as easy to use as the one above, it seem to work best when given three or four letters contained in the word I want to find, e.g. I just typed in "bloe" then I get 100 potential matches, but all I really wanted was the word "bloed". This site also has an online translator for English- Afrikaans and vice versa, but it's not good at all, it can mangle both languages into nearly incomprehensible jibberish; so I no longer use it.

Die Bybel The Bible society of South Africa has both Afrikaans translations of the Bible available to read online and they also sell copies of it, though I still do not know if they will ship overseas, since they never replied to my email inquiry.

Woes A place to post writing in Afrikaans, I think it's mostly geared towards creative writing.

Litnet This one seems to be more academic, and can have dull political commentary, but there are good articles to be found if you don't mind spending a lot of time searching.

RSG Online radio station that sometimes plays too much music, but there are interesting shows as well.

Radio Uitsaaines This station plays only music, but unlike RSG I think they still broadcast entirely in Afrikaans.

I did promise to write more about Afrikaans grammar, mostly as a review for me but that will have to be in my next post since I stayed up too late.

Goeie nag
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 24 February 2012 at 9:50am

mick33
United States
Joined 5733 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 100 of 223
26 April 2009 at 9:24am | IP Logged 
Vai wrote:
you weren't mistaken: nominals ending in -e take -tta in the partitive. that just happens to also be the abessive ending.
Thanks, I was still somewhat confused seeing "tta" for the partitive and abessive, but it makes sense now.

Edited by mick33 on 26 April 2009 at 9:25am

mick33
United States
Joined 5733 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 101 of 223
29 April 2009 at 2:24am | IP Logged 
About a month ago, I wrote that I had found a very intersting paper written in Afrikaans about the human brain; though I never made any more mention of it. The paper is entitled "Die vroeë idnetifisering van neurosielkundige leerversteurings by graad 1 leerders" or "The early identification of neuropsychological learning disabilities in grade 1 learners" and can be found here. I started reading it, since I am studying psychology, but had to stop; the paper is too advanced for me to understand. But I still have the link so when I can read it when I'm ready, though I don't when that will be.

Now to get into Afrikaans grammar. In my previous log I only touched on the very basic past, present and future tenses; just to quickly review "sal" is used for future tense and, unlike Standaard Nederlands, "het" often denotes past tense. But aside from those two helping verbs there are more: "wil/wou", "kan/kon", "moet/moes" and "mag/mog".

I'm hungry so I'll return later tonight to continue this post.

Edited by mick33 on 25 October 2009 at 9:21am

mick33
United States
Joined 5733 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 102 of 223
29 April 2009 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
About a month ago, I wrote that I had found a very intersting paper written in Afrikaans about the human brain; though I never made any more mention of it. The paper is entitled "Die vroeë idnetifisering van neurosielkundige leerversteurings by graad 1 leerders" or "The early identification of neuropsychological learning disabilities in grade 1 learners" and can be found here. I started and reading it, since I am studying psychology, but had to stop; the paper is too advanced for me to understand. But I still have the link so when I can read it when I'm ready, though I don't when that will be.

Now to get into Afrikaans grammar. In my previous log I only touched on the very basic past, present and future tenses; just to quickly review "sal" is used for future tense and, unlike Standaard Nederlands, "het" often denotes past tense. But aside from those two helping verbs there are more: "wil/wou", "kan/kon", "moet/moes" and "mag/mog".

I'm hungry so I'll return later tonight to continue this post.
I'm back, and I need to add something to the list of helping verbs, along with "wil/wou", "kan/kon", "moet/moes", "mag/mog" , there is another form of "sal", that is "sou" (there is also a conjugated form of "het", it is "hê", but I don't know how to use it yet).

I'll start first with "sal/sou". Reusing a sentence I've already thought up to give an example of how "sal/sou" can be used; "Ek sal my fiets ry" (literally "I will my bike ride"). Obviously "sal" refers to an action which is certain to happen, but what does it mean if I instead write; "Ek sou my fiets ry"? It means "I would my bike ride"; but "sou" is often misunderstood for two reasons, it is often incorrectly translated into English as "should", and maybe more importantly, "sou" is most often used in the present tenses to denote an action that is either unlikely, or is not going to occur. One more thing in the past tense, "sou" can be used with "het", but "het" will be at the end of the sentence now; thus to make the sentence above past tense using "sou" I get "Ek sou my fiets gery het" (I would my bike ride had).

With the other helping verbs; "wil/wou", "kan/kon", "moet/moes" and "mag/mog" for example "wil" is "want to" in the present tense, while "wou" is "wanted to" thus "Ek wil drink" and "Ek wou drink" note that when "wou" is used "het" is not and "drink" does not require the prefix "ge-".

I'm sleepy now so I will continue this explantion/review for me in one of my posts next week. I hope that in my next I can write something in Finnish, and maybe something about Spanish too.

Hyvää yöta
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 19 January 2011 at 6:50pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6512 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 103 of 223
29 April 2009 at 11:52am | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
[QUOTE=mick33] About a month ago, I wrote that I had found a very intersting paper written in Afrikaans about the human brain; though I never made any more mention of it. The paper is entitled "Die vroeë identifisering van neurosielkundige leerversteurings by graad 1 leerders" or "The early identification of neuropsychological learning disabilities in grade 1 learners" and can be found here.

Thanks for that link, - it's the first thing I have seen about neuropsychology in Afrikaans.

Edited by Iversen on 29 April 2009 at 9:47pm

mick33
United States
Joined 5733 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 104 of 223
29 April 2009 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
mick33 wrote:
[QUOTE=mick33] About a month ago, I wrote that I had found a
very intersting paper written in Afrikaans about the human brain; though I never made any more
mention of it. The paper is entitled "Die vroeë identifisering van neurosielkundige
leerversteurings by graad 1 leerders" or "The early identification of neuropsychological
learning disabilities in grade 1 learners" and can be found
112715/unrestricted/00front.pdf">here.

Thanks for that link, - it's the first thing I have seen about neurophysiology in Afrikaans.
You're welcome, Iversen. Now if only I could find more interesting things to read in
Afrikaans on the internet.

Edited by mick33 on 05 August 2023 at 2:08am

This discussion contains 223 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version