223 messages over 28 pages: 1 2 35 6 7 ... 4 ... 27 28 Next >>
mdw009
United States
Joined 5583 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Studies: Afrikaans

Message 25 of 223
02 February 2009 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
Nice forum. I just came across it while searching for Afrikaans material. I've pretty much been in the same boat. Mostly reading articles with Kromhaut dictionary in hand for a couple years. I also visit Beeld and Die Burger; also PRAAG - I know, it gets political. My problem is I tend to print out articles and translate them, and then instead of reviewing again and again, I move on to the next one. I think any language can be rather difficult just by virtue of the necessary vocabulary. I'll feel good about an article, then try to read another with a host of new words. I'm glad to hear that the Afrikaans.US site will have more information soon. I'll try the Radio Sonder Grense - Thanks
1 person has voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5733 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 26 of 223
03 February 2009 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
mdw009 wrote:
Nice forum. I just came across it while searching for Afrikaans material. I've pretty much been in the same boat. Mostly reading articles with Kromhaut dictionary in hand for a couple years. I also visit Beeld and Die Burger; also PRAAG - I know, it gets political. My problem is I tend to print out articles and translate them, and then instead of reviewing again and again, I move on to the next one. I think any language can be rather difficult just by virtue of the necessary vocabulary. I'll feel good about an article, then try to read another with a host of new words. I'm glad to hear that the Afrikaans.US site will have more information soon. I'll try the Radio Sonder Grense - Thanks
I'm very glad to see someone else here learning Afrikaans. I forgot all about PRAAG; there were some good articles there last time I visited, but my policy is to focus on the language itself and leave language activism to the native speakers. As for the vocabulary, I guess it depends on the individual, I've had little trouble with it; then again I'm also studying Dutch off and on, and most of the words are very similar.

Mick

Edited by mick33 on 03 February 2009 at 4:08pm

mdw009
United States
Joined 5583 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes

Message 27 of 223
03 February 2009 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
Yes - I've noticed they are rather similar; of course the Dutch has the gender article issue - that's a nice thing about Afrikaans. The word order/sentence structure is something that tests me. I'm always wanting to write or speak via English rules. Earlier today, I was looking at some song lyrics, by a band called Foto Na Dans (Photo after dance):

"Verduur, verduur die glimlag vriend, dit sal jou binnekort verslaan". Literal translation (I believe) is "Endure, endure the smile friend, it shall you shortly defeat". Not sure, but I believe the intent is that <it shall shortly defeat you>, as opposed to <you defeat it>. Wat dink jou?

Mike

mick33
United States
Joined 5733 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 28 of 223
03 February 2009 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
mdw009 wrote:
Yes - I've noticed they are rather similar; of course the Dutch has the gender article issue - that's a nice thing about Afrikaans. The word order/sentence structure is something that tests me. I'm always wanting to write or speak via English rules. Earlier today, I was looking at some song lyrics, by a band called Foto Na Dans (Photo after dance):

"Verduur, verduur die glimlag vriend, dit sal jou binnekort verslaan". Literal translation (I believe) is "Endure, endure the smile friend, it shall you shortly defeat". Not sure, but I believe the intent is that <it shall shortly defeat you>, as opposed to <you defeat it>. Wat dink jou?

Mike
Afr: Ek sal hierdie bespreking gebruik om Afrikaans te oefen. Afrikaans woord orde is 'n bietjie soos beide Nederlands en Engels grammatika, miskien meer soos Nederlands met soms vereenvoudiging. Ek sal nie grammatika nou verduidelik nie, graag klik hier om oor grammatika te lees. Ek dink jou vertaling is goed. Ek kan nie enige verbeteringe maak nie. Wat is die liedjie se naam?

Lekker dag
Mick

Eng: I'll use this dicussion to practice my Afrikaans. I think Afrikaans word order is sort of like both Dutch and English grammar, but maybe more like simplified Dutch. I've already written a little about Afrikaans grammar here. I think the translation is good and I can't make any improvements to it. I also wanted to know the name of the song.
NOTE: The English translation of my message is not exact, but I think it's pretty close.

Edited by mick33 on 11 March 2009 at 8:19am

mick33
United States
Joined 5733 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 29 of 223
04 February 2009 at 3:05am | IP Logged 
Afr: Ek het 'n Afrikaans woord gevind wat ek kan nie verstaan nie. Die woord is "slagskape". Ek dink nie dat "slagskape 'n belangrike woord is nie, maar dit is nog frustrerend. Ek het oormôre middag 'n toets in my Spaans klas, ek hoop ek het genoeg studeer gedoen. Julle kon nou sê ek het 'n bietjie "wanderlust" omdat ek het laaste naweek soms artikels oor Hongaars taal (of Magyar) gelees, egter ek weet ek het geen tyd om Hongaars te geleer nie, wat kan ek sê oor hierdie "wanderlust", Hongaars is baie fassineerend. Wanneer ek het die Finse taal geluister, ek dink Fins het sommige wonderbaarlik klinke, maar ek kan nog nie dit uitspreek nie, die dubbel klinkers en medeklinkers is ietwat buitengewoon. In my volgende boodskappie ek sal 'n drietalige woordeskat lys skryf.

Eng: I've found an Afrikaans word that I can't understand; "slagskape. I doubt it's a significant word. I will take my second Spanish test tomorrow and I hope I've done enough studying for it. You can probably say I have wanderlust, I spent some of last weekend reading about Hungarian though I can't really look at Hungarian now, but it is fascinating. Finnish sounds amazing, but I'm not yet ready to pronounce Finnish words , the double vowels and consonants seem unusual. Finally, in my next post I will write (type) a vocabulary list for all three languages that I'm learning. I also see that I reached 100 posts as of Tuesday, it only took 151 days.

Goeie nag
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 06 February 2009 at 3:02am

Jar-ptitsa
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 5707 days ago

980 posts - 1006 votes 
Speaks: French*, Dutch, German

Message 30 of 223
04 February 2009 at 5:02am | IP Logged 
Yes, I think as well that the Afrikaans grammar is a simplified Dutch one, but the Ducth one is a simplified German. Dutch and English are very similar, therefore Afrikaans also, althugh this is more like a dialect of Dutch in my opinion. I like very much Afrikaans: especially some words which look like the Dutch ones but how a baby say them. Also, it's very funny that the verbs don't change for the persons, therefore you say "ek is..." this is nearly bizarre LOL!!

"Slagskape", the word which you dont' udnerstand. I don't know it as well, but I can tell you, that "slag" (Dutch) is battle, and if I must guess it, maybe slagskape is a cap (type of hat or protection in the battles) or maybe a place: cape, where there was in history a battle. As in English, this words are similar in Dutch: kap/cap and kaap/cape. "Slagen", the verb, is to hit, and "slagroom" is whipped cream.
2 persons have voted this message useful

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5960 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 31 of 223
04 February 2009 at 8:31am | IP Logged 
The word features in the Afrikaans Bible,

Sagaria 11:4
So sê die HERE my God: Wees herder van die slagskape

Zecharia: 11:4
Thus saith the LORD my God; Feed the flock of the slaughter;

so I'm guessing slagskape means slaughter. :-)

I think -kape corresponds to the English word -hood, as in words like motherhood, childhood and victimhood. This is just a wild etymological guess. The dutch word kap means hood.

Edited by DaraghM on 04 February 2009 at 8:39am

2 persons have voted this message useful

mdw009
United States
Joined 5583 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes

Message 32 of 223
04 February 2009 at 9:09am | IP Logged 
Mick - Ek is jammer. Ek weet nie die woord "slagskape" nie. Ek saamstem - dit klink soos "slaughter". Die liedjie se naam is "Verkleur en Vermom", which I believe is something like 'change color and disguise'.

Jar-ptitsa - I have heard Afrikaans referred to as "baby Dutch" before. Is this because of the 'ek is', or are there nouns as well that reflect this. Also - isn't Afrikaans (basically) the same Dutch that was spoken centuries ago?

This discussion contains 223 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version