Triglot
Belgium
Joined 5707 days ago

980 posts - 1006 votes 
Speaks: French*, Dutch, German

Message 33 of 223
04 February 2009 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
Hi daraghM

wow!!!! your explanation's very interesting. Now I learned those words in English as well (motherhood etc), and the Dutch word kap does definitly means hood, like you wrote, but motherhood = moederschap, therefore it looks like there was a change k/sch. kap=hood like a hat, but not exactly in the word moederschap.

HI mdw009

No, I don't think because of the "ek is.." particularly, but the general language. Yes, there are nouns as well, simplifications of verbs and it seems very sweet and funny. I don't know abut Dutch that was spoken centuries ago, but i doubt that it was like Afrikaans: I suppose that Afrikaans was more simplified because of many of non-native-speakers, maybe little bit influenced by some languages in South Africa etc.. But, it's more similar with the Standard dutch than Westvlaams, I think. But it's possible that it's like ancient Dutch because I don't know. I hope that a person will tell us.
1 person has voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5733 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 34 of 223
05 February 2009 at 2:54am | IP Logged 
Well, I see I got some interesting and helpful comments in the last 24 hours. I should have given a context for "slagskape"; I came across this word in the Afrikaans Bible, but in a different passage than the one previously mentioned by DaraghM.

Romeine 8:36 "Soos geskrywe is: Om U ontwil word ons die hele dag gedood, ons is gereken as slagskape"
Romans 8:36 "As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter"

It looks like "slagskape" corresponds to "slaughter" in this context, but I'm still not certain that is correct. Thank you to Jar-ptitsa, mdw009 and DaraghM for the helpful insights.

As for how close Afrikaans is to Standaard Nederlands, that's a difficult question; not unlike the endless, and presently unresolvable, linguistic debates regarding the similarity of, say Russian and Ukrainian or whether the Romance languages are distinct languages or simply dialects. I thought I saw once that Google Books had a preview of the original Teach Yourself Afrikaans book published in the 1960s, which began with a preface that claimed that Afrikaans was nothing more than corrupted Dutch spelled incorrectly and having no grammar. I disagree; but I'm studying to be a psychologist, not a linguist, so what would I know about it? Below is a list of links where similarities between Afrikaans and Dutch are discussed by people who know about linguistics:

History of Dutch: I know it says History of Dutch, but these pages, maintained by Rina Loader of the University of Vienna also include some good information about Afrikaans and Frisian. Also has extensive information on Afrikaans in Europa(in Afrikaans)

http://www.unc.edu/depts/german/personnel/roberge-p.html: This article is probably too technical for those of us who aren't linguists, but Roberge does state that very little historical research on Afrikaans been done; which may or may not be a good thing.

An introduction to Afrikaans (and the discrimination it faces) Part of Marcel Bas's excellent site devoted to the Dutch and Afrikaans languages and cultures.

http://www.germanic.ucla.edu/faculty/Kirsner.htm: Provides more information on Professor Kirschner's approach to teaching and researching linguistics, but Kirschner does claim that Afrikaans is a sister language to Dutch.

I leave the never-ending "separate language versus dialect" debates (arguments?) to linguists; I can make better use of my time by learning various languages for myself, which I will get back to right now.

Lekker bly
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 06 February 2009 at 2:59am

mick33
United States
Joined 5733 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 35 of 223
06 February 2009 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
Finally, in my next post I will write (type) a vocabulary list for all three
languages that I'm learning. I also see that I reached 100 posts as of Tuesday, it only took
151 days.

Goeie nag
Mick
I had promised on Wednesday that my next post would contain a list of
vocabulary words in Afrikaans, Spanish and Finnish, but I hit a minor snag, I hadn't learned
any Finnish words yet, so I could not write out my list on Thurdsday. Now I have learned a
few Finnish words and phrases and, though it comes a day later than I intended, can now post
a trilingual list of greetings and words.

Afrikaans - Spanish - Finnish
goeie môre - buenas días - hyvää huomenta (good morning)
huis - casa - talo (house)
dankie - gracias - kiitos (thank you)
goeie middag - buenas tardes - hyvää iltapäivää (good afternoon)
universiteit - la universidad - yliopisto (university)
skryf - escribir - kirjoittaa[spelling?] (to write)
Oh no! it's getting late again, so after I've slept I'll just use the edit button to add to
my list.

Mick

Edited by mick33 on 08 April 2021 at 5:42am

mdw009
United States
Joined 5583 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Studies: Afrikaans

Message 36 of 223
06 February 2009 at 8:20am | IP Logged 
Mick - Are you focusing on Latin American Spanish or traditional. I've heard the reference that it is similar to 'English' English vs 'American' English; (You)plural - vosotros (Spain) vs ustedes (Mexico); car being carro in Mexico and coche in Spain.

I got an old copy of Rosetta Stone LA Spanish from someone a couple years ago. Does anyone know whether it is really effective or mostly marketing hype? Any word on the effectiveness of 'Rocket Spanish', etc. (I imagine from my studies thus far with Afrikaans, that just consistently doing the work is probably the biggest factor in learning).

Mike

mick33
United States
Joined 5733 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 37 of 223
06 February 2009 at 11:45am | IP Logged 
I see that I failed to state that I am focusing mostly on Latin American Spanish since most of the Spanish speakers I'll interact with are from Latin America, usually Mexico. I don't know much about the different forms of spoken Spanish yet, but my Spanish teacher said that "vosotros" is heard only in certain regions of Spain and nowhere else.

I haven't used Rosetta Stone at all, because of it's high price, and the opinions of Rosetta Stone given in this room seem to be mixed. One of the most frustrating things about the commonly taught languages; like Spanish, German, or I assume English is that there is too much learning material to choose from, the link above may have more info on Rocket Spanish etc. I think you're absolutely correct, consistent study is the most important thing when learning a language.

Mick    

Edited by mick33 on 10 February 2009 at 3:25am

mick33
United States
Joined 5733 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 38 of 223
06 February 2009 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:

goeie middag - buenas tardes - hyvää päivää (good afternoon)
Oh no! it's getting late again, so after I've slept I'll just use the edit button to add to
my list.

Mick
I've decided to make additions to my list in a separate post, rather than using
the edit button.

goeie middag - buenas tardes - hyvää iltapäivää (good afternoon)
Hallo - ¡Hola! - Terve! (Hello)
ek is - [yo] soy - [minä] olen (I am) yo and minä can often be omitted
tafel - la mesa - pöytä (table)
goeie nag - buenas noches - hyvää yöta (good night)
jy/u - tu/su - sinä (singular form of you) "u" and "su" are formal terms
geld - dinero - raha (money)
vader - padre - isä (father)
vriend - amigo - ystävä (friend)
aangename kennis - mucho gusto - hauska tutustua (nice to meet you)
hoe gaan dit met jou? - ¿Cómo estás - mitä kuuluu[only with friends] (how are you?)
vrou - la mujer - nainen (woman)
ons - nosotros - me (we)
julle - vosotros/ustedes - te (plural form of you) vosotros only in Spain
hulle - ustedes - te (they)
ja - sí - kyllä/joo [joo is informal] (yes)

The above list demonstrates that I only know a few Finnish words, all of them have been
listed. I've learned many more Afrikaans and Spanish words and phrases, but I'll post more
of those in the future.

Mick

Edited by mick33 on 08 April 2021 at 5:43am

Jar-ptitsa
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 5707 days ago

980 posts - 1006 votes 
Speaks: French*, Dutch, German

Message 39 of 223
07 February 2009 at 9:09am | IP Logged 
I think that you chose very good because those languages are in different groups, therefore it will be not very difficult prevent muddle up. this is a problem when you learn for example Dutch and German, although, the advantage of learn such similar ones is that it's possible guess many things and learn quickly all the for example word order.
2 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5733 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 40 of 223
10 February 2009 at 3:41am | IP Logged 
Jar-ptitsa wrote:
I think that you chose very good because those languages are in different groups, therefore it will be not very difficult prevent muddle up. this is a problem when you learn for example Dutch and German, although, the advantage of learn such similar ones is that it's possible guess many things and learn quickly all the for example word order.
Jar-ptitsa, that's one of the reasons I chose these languages; they are in different groups. Another reason is the spelling for all three languages is phonetic, usually once one learns how letters are pronounced in these languages, it's easy to spell most words, with only a few surprises, not at all like English where words are often spelled one way and pronounced very differently. Is German also a phonetic language?

Monday I found my first "false friend". Afrikaans and Spanish both have the word "leer". In Afrikaans it can mean "learn" "teach", or "leather" depending on context though I've most often seen it used as the first two. In Spanish "leer" means "to read" as in to read a book, which is interesting too, because the corresponding Afrikaans word is "lees". I wonder how many more "false friends" I will come across. I'm still struggling a little with Finnish pronunciation because I'm unsure about how to pronounce the double consonants and vowels. I think I just need to listen to more Finnish and I'll figure it out.

Mick

Edited by mick33 on 16 February 2009 at 4:34pm

This discussion contains 223 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version