Joined 5734 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 57 of 223
01 March 2009 at 1:58am | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
Serpent and a few others on this forum claim that Finnish is not difficult, it's just different, and I'm beginning to understand what they mean. One of the differences I've run into is: The fascinating, and daunting, 14 or 15 case endings, though I must add that many, perhaps half, of the cases do indeed correspond to prepositions such as "into", or "on" creating compound words like "talossa" (in the house) or "pöydalla" (on the table). While the cases are not really anything one should fear; ...
I definitely need to remember that Finnish is different, but not really difficult. I'm still not quite getting the pronunciation of k, p, and t right, because it is unusual for me to pronounce these letters in a slack manner, by which I mean to say without the puff of air English pronunciation requires. Maybe I'm being a little too hard on myself; I'm started Finnish about a month ago with no prior knowledge or experience with it whatsoever, therefore it will likely take a while to get better at pronouncing it.
mick33 wrote:
After I've gotten some sleep I will also write a little more about Finnish case endings.... I am also learning about stem-changing verbs in Spanish; that is verbs like "volver" which when conjugated can become "vuelvo", it also has other conjugated forms but I'm too tired to look those up right now.
Now to start discussing Finnish case endings. I wrote before that the case endings are nothing to dread, and I still think that's true. Why? I see them as being somewhat similar to the verb tenses and conjugations of Spanish or the compound words and separable and inseparable verbs of Afrikaans and Dutch, and these systems of inflection (or, perhaps modification) may offer me unique dimensions with which to express myself. So, now to actually discuss case endings. Case endings are suffixes. I know only a few basics, and none of the exceptions, of what are called locative cases. But I need some practice with these to get accustomed to them, so below is a list a what I have learned.

Locative cases

Inner locative cases denote inside or within: Illatiivi, Inessiivi, and Elatiivi.
1. Illatiivi (Illative) - adds an "n", corresponds with "into"
if root word ends in vowel the vowels is doubled Example: taloon (house-into)
2. Inessiivi (Inessive) - adds "ssa" or "ssä", corresponds to "inside" or "at". Example: koulussa (school-at)
3. Elatiivi (Elative) - adds "sta" or "stä", corresponds to "out of" or "from"
Example: pöydästä" (table-from)

Outer local cases denoting outside, or outer: Allatiivi, Adessiivi, Ablatiivi.
4. Allatiivi (Allative) - adds "lle", corresponds to "onto"
Example: talolle (house-onto) meaning building
5. Adessiivi (Adessive) - adds "lla" or "llä", corresponds to "at" or "on"
Example: koululla (school-at) also meaning building.
6. Ablatiivi (Ablative) - adds "lta" or "ltä", corresponds to "off" or from"
Example: pöydältä (table-from or -off)

Well that's six cases down and 8 to go. There's also other factors that come into play like consonant gradation and vowel harmony but I'm not ready to post about those aspects of Finnish yet. Spanish stem-changing vowels will wait until later tonight.

Mick

Edited by mick33 on 07 March 2009 at 11:08am

1 person has voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5734 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 58 of 223
01 March 2009 at 10:52am | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
   Spanish stem-changing vowels will wait until later tonight.

I did it again, I almost forgot to post something something about Spanish vowels that change stems! One thing I have noticed about Spanish is that initially it is very easy; the spelling is phonetic, there are accent marks to help with intonation if a certain word, "comó" to give one example, doesn't play by the pronunciation rules, and the genderization of nouns is, so far, easy for me to understand and remember. Verb conjugation may become a challenge; generally the verb conjugation rules in the present tense appear to be straightforward, except that the most commonly used verbs (ser, estar, ir etc.) are irregular, however the conjugation rules for other tenses don't seem to be nearly as simple. Am I whining? a little bit, but only because I want to progress faster than I am. I've done enough complaining, so here are a few stem changing verbs:

1. empezar - "to begin" the 2nd "e" changes to "ie"
2. volver - "to return" "o" becomes "ue"
3. entender - "to understand" "e" > "ie"
(I wonder how this one differs from "comprende".)
4. recordar - "to remember" "o" > "ue"

The stem or the root of "empezar" is "empe-" but when conjugated it is usually "empie-" thus:
yo empiezo
tú empiezas
Ud/él/ella empieza.
But, nosotros empezamos, and
vosotros empezáis which makes me wonder why the other forms change the stem,
and finally Uds/ellos/ellas empiezan.
This is not difficult once I've practiced it, but I've already encountered more exceptions in Spanish grammar than in both Afrikaans and Finnish.

Mick

Edited by mick33 on 17 March 2009 at 10:05am

mick33
United States
Joined 5734 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 59 of 223
07 March 2009 at 11:07am | IP Logged 
This past week I ran in to a few problems with studying my languages, because school assignments took up too much time on Tuesday and Wednesday, leaving me with only one hour total for languages on those days. The good news is that I now have enough experience with wordlists (Iversen's method) to post something about them. I've been using scriptorium to increase my Afrikaans vocabulary however about 2 weeks ago I realized that I did not always remember the words I was encountering and therefore I would look up a word in the dictionary one day and then look up the same word again two or three days later, in fact I even looked up "verlaat" 3 times in two days. Clearly I needed to do something more to improve my ability to retain vocabulary. I had already read a little about the wordlists but had not actually done them yet, and decided to make some. What I am doing is writing down 5-7 Afrikaans words in the first column then writing a corresponding English word then the Afrikaans word; so I might write "ek - I - ek" then I decided to make things slightly more challenging so I added Spanish thus one of the next columns could have "ek - yo - ek". I also say the words aloud as I write them and then when I'm done writing the wordlist I repeat the words aloud again. These lists really help me because now I have another way to interact with words and only need the dictionary for new words. My Finnish vocabulary is still very limited so I cannot make a word list for Finnish yet, but I expect to have one in the next few weeks.
mick33 wrote:
Well that's six cases down and 8 to go. There's also other factors that come into play like consonant gradation and vowel harmony but I'm not ready to post about those aspects of Finnish yet.
I'm also learning about some other Finnish cases; such as the partitive which appears to be rather important. Vowel harmony looks pretty simple, but I don't quite understand consonant gradation yet. I'll post something about Spanish later.

Mick   EDIT: I corrected an embarrassing mistake, when I mentioned wordlists I wrote that I decided to make things a little more challenging by making one list Afrikaans- Spanish-Afrikaans and gave the example "ek - tu - ek" which is incorrect. I can't believe I missed this, it now reads ek - yo - ek which is correct.

Edited by mick33 on 19 January 2011 at 6:32pm

mick33
United States
Joined 5734 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 60 of 223
12 March 2009 at 1:06am | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
I'll post something about Spanish later.
When I typed that, I had planned on posting something later on the same day, but obviously that didn't happen. I have now decided that Spanish is, at first, easy to learn but the level of difficulty starts to increase gradually. I also wrote in an earlier post that Spanish conjugation is easy, and only a few of the most commonly used verbs have slightly irregular conjugation. However, the verb "ir' is driving me crazy; how does one verb go from "ir" in its infinitive form to "voy" "va" "vas" vamos" etc when conjugated in the present tense?!?! AAARRGG!

Now that I'm done complaining, I also wrote my first paper in my Spanish class. I hope I get good marks on it, but still, I need to learn how to use "ir" correctly. Since the paper only had to be 3 paragraphs, I will post a copy of it here and hopefully review it to correct any errors, just for my personal benefit.

¡Hola! Me llamo Mick. Soy de Victorville, California. Yo tengo treinta y tres años y soy rubio, alto, delgado y simpatico. Yo soy estudiante a Pierce College y proximó trimestre tomo tres clases, matemáticas, sexualidad humano y español. Sólo tengo cuatro hermanos menores, una hermana y tres hermanos. Mi hermano Júan es de San Antonio, Tejas. Tiene treinta y uno y es pelirrojo, tranquilo, fuerte y muy inteligente. Él es un estudiante a Universidad Indiana, y estudia optometría.   

Vivo en Lakewood, Washington. Me especialización en universidad es psicología. Yo qiuero aprender historia y lenguas extranjeras. Pienso historia y lenguas extranjeras es interesante . No me gusta la clase de matemáticas, creo matemáticas es muy difícil. Me gusta comer pollo y espaguetis y bebo el jugo de naranja o leche. Mi amigo Mateo vive en Spanaway y él es estudiante a Pierce College tambien. Él tiene vientiséis anos y es bajo, moreno, gordo y trabajador. Mateo gusta tomar películas y televisión.

En los ratos libres, me gusta mucho escuchar y bailar la música y leo libros. Yo juego baloncesto, fútbol, y fútbol americano. Pero tambien paseo en bicicleta. Mi familia y yo tomamos televisión y visitamos los parientes. Yo no decido dónde quiero ir en el verano de 2009, pero deseo viajar mi hermano Júan en Indiana.

I may post a summarized English translation in another post, but now I want to study Finnish.

Mick

Jar-ptitsa
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 5708 days ago

980 posts - 1006 votes 
Speaks: French*, Dutch, German

Message 61 of 223
13 March 2009 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
Hola Mick

He leído tu mensaje en español, y no lo puedo corregir todo porque mi nivel tampoco no es alto, pero quiero ayudarte donde pueda:

simpático
el trimestre próximo tomaré tres clases,
Sólo tengo cuatro hermanos menores: una hermana y tres hermanos.
Tiene treinta y un años
Él es estudiante en la Universidad de Indiana   
Mi especialización en la universidad es psicología.
Pienso que la historia y lenguas extranjeras son interesantes
creo que matemáticas es muy difícil.
años
A Mateo le gusta ver películas y televisión.
me gusta mucho escuchar la música, bailar y leer libros.
pero deseo viajar a mi hermano Júan en Indiana.

Ojalá contribuyere un nativo, sería mejor :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5734 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 62 of 223
16 March 2009 at 8:51am | IP Logged 
Afr: Ek het laaste week nog een boodskap hier geskryf, maar die goeie nuus is dat ek het al drie tale gestudeer. Ek is baie bly dat hierdie skool semester sal binnekant einde, omdat skool het baie gestres gewees. Ek dink volgende semester sal beter wees. Ek hoop ek kan wiskunde begryp, wiskunde is vir my gewoonlik moeilik.

Jar-ptitsa wrote:
Hola Mick

He leído tu mensaje en español, y no lo puedo corregir todo porque mi nivel tampoco no es alto, pero quiero ayudarte donde pueda:

simpático
el trimestre próximo tomaré tres clases,
Sólo tengo cuatro hermanos menores: una hermana y tres hermanos.
Tiene treinta y un años
Él es estudiante en la Universidad de Indiana   
Mi especialización en la universidad es psicología.
Pienso que la historia y lenguas extranjeras son interesantes
creo que matemáticas es muy difícil.
años
A Mateo le gusta ver películas y televisión.
me gusta mucho escuchar la música, bailar y leer libros.
pero deseo viajar a mi hermano Júan en Indiana.

Ojalá contribuyere un nativo, sería mejor :-)
Jar-ptitsa, Baie dankie vir jou verbeterings om te my Spaans, ek waardeer enige hulp ek kan kry, en ekskuus asseblief my laat antwoord.

Ek het nie Fins vergeet nie, ek sal in my volgende boodskap vokaal harmonie verduidelik.

Eng: Last week I only posted once here but I did study all three languages. This quarter of school will be ending this week. Hopefully next quarter will be less stressful, I just hope I can understand the math class I'll be taking.

Thank you to Jar-ptitsa for making some corrections to my Spanish.
I haven't forgotten Finnish, my next post will include something about vowel harmony.

Mick

mick33
United States
Joined 5734 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 63 of 223
17 March 2009 at 10:03am | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:

I haven't forgotten Finnish, my next post will include something about vowel harmony.
One intriguing aspect, for those who speak Indo-European languages, of Finnish is vowel harmony. Finnish has 8 vowels (I'll write about diphthongs later) and these 8 vowels fall into 3 categories:

Back Vowels: a,o,u. Front Vowels: ä,ö,y. Neutral Vowels: e,i.
Back vowels can only mix with other back vowels so to inflect "talo" (house) using the inessive case, which is the ending ssa/ssä, "talo" must become "talossa". Front vowels can only mix with other front vowels so "pöytä" (table) inflects in the same case to become "pöydässä". Neutral vowels can mix with either front or back vowels, but when a non-inflected word has only "e" or "i" then the case ending must use only back vowels so Helsinki would inflect to become Helsingissä (this also gives an example of consonant gradation, because the "k" is changed to "g"). Vowel harmony is also found in other languages such as Hungarian and Turkish, but I believe that Hungarian has more vowels and that its system of vowel harmony is more complex. I think vowel harmony is actually fun to learn, and it seems to be another example of Finnish simply being different rather than difficult.

Mick

Edited by mick33 on 04 June 2009 at 7:17pm

mick33
United States
Joined 5734 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 64 of 223
19 March 2009 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
I've read a little bit about Limburgs and I will most likely post more about that in my own log. Limburgs seems to be a tonal language, which I didn't know, and indeed I never knew that any Indo-European languages were tonal languages.
The quote above is from a post I made in Iversen's log, Jar-ptitsa had said she might write something in Limburgish (or Limburgs) and this made me curious to find out more about Limburgish. I decided to write about Limburgish here so I don't interfere too much with Iversen's log. I first went to Wikipedia, I know it can be updated by anybody, but I actually went to the pages that were in Dutch and Limburgish and found links to sites with some good information, mostly in Dutch. This is also a good way for me to learn a little more Dutch too as the best information on Limburgish seems to be in Dutch.

As I already wrote; Limburgish is a tonal language, with two tones and it is recognized by the EU as a regional language, that is spoken in provinces in Belgium and The Netherlands, both provinces are also named Limburg and perhaps also in the bordering area of Germany. Though it falls somewhere between Dutch and German, in written form it looks closer to Dutch, though with different spelling.

I see it's nearly 2 a.m., and I need to get some sleep. I'll continue this later on.

Mick

Edited by mick33 on 24 March 2009 at 5:35pm

This discussion contains 223 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version