United States
Joined 5734 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 145 of 223
01 August 2009 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
More about Finnish conjugation. Now that I've already listed the conjugation for "olla", since I consider the verb "to be" and it's equivalents in other languages to be very important and perhaps wishing to prove once again that I am overwhelming my brain by filling it only semi-useful information; (after all who discusses verb conjugation in any language? No one, excepting language teachers) I can now list the conjugation for other verbs I like.

Those who think everything about Finnish is difficult may be happy to learn that the verb conjugations seem, even more than Spanish conjugations, to follow a pattern that is usually pretty consistent

Ajaa - to drive, as in a car or a bike.
minä ajan
sinä ajat
hän ajaa
me ajamme
te ajatte
he ajavat

and of course how could I leave out
Syödä - to eat
minä syön
sinä syöt
hän syö
me syömme
te syötte
he syövat

I forgot the negative conjugations! Oh well, I know what I'm writing next time. Also, I will explain more about the conjugation pattern I alluded to.

Nähdään taas
Mick
EDIT: I found a fairly good online Finnish dictionary here it has Finnish-English, Finnish-Swedish and Finnish-Spanish dictionaries but the site is written in Finnish

Edited by mick33 on 12 August 2009 at 1:38am

1 person has voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5734 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 146 of 223
05 August 2009 at 1:20am | IP Logged 
I'm supposed to be studying Spanish, but I don't really want to right now, but I will study it later. I've spent the last few days studying Spanish and math Yuk!, and my brain may have had enough of these two subjects for awhile! Earlier this afternoon I had a sudden urge to study Swedish and Finnish, and I decided not to fight against this desire, but rather indulge it, though I will need to get back to math and Spanish soon so I don't fail the classes.

Now, as promised in the above post, I will explain the conjugation pattern for Finnish verbs in the present tense, and list the negative conjugations for the verbs "ajaa" and "syöda".

First the present tense conjugation pattern
verbs that end in "aa" (according to my way of classifying verbs, a grammar book or teacher probably organizes them differently)
ajaa (to drive)
minä add -n ajan
sinä add -t ajat
hän double the final vowel in the infinitive form(though this doesn't hold true for irregular verbs like "olla", or verbs with different forms) ajaa
me add -mme ajamma
te add -tte ajatte
he adds -vat ajavat

I know I repeated part of the same list that was in the previous post, but this way I can see the conjugation pattern more clearly. This pattern seems to be basically the same for all verbs and tenses, though the different tenses and verb forms have other changes as well.

In the negative conjugation all the pronouns make "ajaa" become "aja"

minä en aja
sinä et aja
hän ei aja
me emme aja
te ette aja
he eivät aja

Negative present conjugation, as far as I can tell, is always the same; that is "ei" always conjugates the in the same ways, but I can't always predict what form the verb that follows "ei" will take.

Next the present tense conjugation for syödä (to eat)
note that both the d and the ä are dropped

minä syön
sinä syöt
hän syö
me syömme
te syötte
he syövät
Negative conjugation: "syödä" becomes syö" after the conjugated "ei"

This project is taking longer than I expected, and I haven't even posted any sentences yet! But how can I ignore Swedish? Therefore, this is my last post about Finnish negation and verb conjugation for a little while, though I will be studying it.

Mick

Edited by mick33 on 05 August 2009 at 2:01am

mick33
United States
Joined 5734 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 147 of 223
05 August 2009 at 2:42am | IP Logged 
Afr: Ek moet my gewete skoonmaak! Ek voel baie skuldig, want ek het hierdie maand geen Afrikaans studeer nie. Dit is verleë, ek kan skaars glo dat dat het ek die taal ignoreer. Ja, ek is baie besig met skool en ander tale, maar nog hierdie dinge is nie goede ekskuse nie. Ek moet meer ywerig en ingerig wees. Môre sal ek soms interesant artikels lees, en ook sal ek elke week twee artikels lees.

I just realized I haven't studied Afrikaans at all this month, FOR SHAME! How could I have neglected Afrikaans? I can think of no acceptable excuses for this. So I will have make certain that I find at least two things to read in Afrikaans every week. Even if this week, and next week, it will be difficult to do this I cannot neglect Afrikaans anymore.

Goeie nag
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 05 August 2009 at 5:50pm

mick33
United States
Joined 5734 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 148 of 223
06 August 2009 at 2:45am | IP Logged 
Sp:¡Ay de mi! Estoy cansado, porque estudié español para cuatro horas. Necesito estudiar matemáticas también, pero no quiero estudiar nada nunca. Tengo que muchos examenes la semana próxima, después de no clases para un mes. ¡Excelente! Un mes sin clases ¿Qué debo hacer? Ojalá que pasearía mi bicicleta y estudiaría afrikaans, español, finlandés y sueco. Quiero ir de las vacaciones cortas, sino no tengo ningún dinero.

I'm complaining (a little) about how much studying I have to do, and don't really want to. But after next week, no classes for a whole month! What will I do? I don't know, I always say I'll ride my bike a lot and do more language study when I have breaks from school but sometimes those things don't happen. I want to take a vacation but I have no money and I don't want to travel anywhere that's nearby.

I think I need to learn the subjunctive mood in Spanish very soon. I know it's supposed to be difficult, but the above message seems very awkward without it and the conditional tense I did use is probably incorrect.

I should learn a little more Swedish too; the only thing I can confidently say or write, after about two months, is "Jag heter Mick". This is not a bad start, but I cannot claim I'm making great progress either. I do know more Swedish words, I just can't figure out how to use them yet.

Nos vemos
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 30 September 2009 at 11:48pm

mick33
United States
Joined 5734 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 149 of 223
09 August 2009 at 1:40am | IP Logged 
Finally, a little progress in Swedish, after studying Spanish most of the day. I think it's weird; studying one language for more than an hour makes me want to study a different language, which was what happened on Tuesday with Finnish first and then Afrikaans. It seems I don't tire of studying in general, rather I tire of studying any one subject too long. It's official, I really am a nerd! (Something I've never actually wanted to admit before).

This also means I was wrong on Wednesday; I can write a few things in Swedish, though my vocabulary is still very basic. What I mean is that I can now write something like "Klockan är kvart över sexton, och jag är lite trött" or "It's 4:15 p.m and I am a little tired". I know it's not much; but still this is progress and as frustrated as I've been lately with math, I need to acknowledge that I can actually learn and retain some new knowledge. Obviously the part of my mini-project where I learnt negation in Swedish had to be postponed; I should've known better, I wasn't ready yet.

Mick

Edited by mick33 on 11 August 2009 at 1:02am

mick33
United States
Joined 5734 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 150 of 223
11 August 2009 at 2:07am | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
I think I need to learn the subjunctive mood in Spanish very soon. I know it's supposed to be difficult, but the above message seems very awkward without it and the conditional tense I did use is probably incorrect.
What was I thinking? I know I can't learn the subjunctive mood this week; I have another paper to write for my Spanish class, and to write this paper I have to learn the imperfect tense instead.

I think the imperfect tense was the one I unintentionally used in my last paper, so it's nice to actually learn it. The imperfect tense is the other past tense in Spanish, and it describes actions which were started in the past but are ongoing. The conjugation pattern for verbs ending in "ar" seems a little weird, Why should cantar conjugate using the suffix "aba"? Especially when "er" and "ir" verbs use the suffix "ía". This may not be easy to remember.

Cantar
(yo) cantaba
(tú) cantabas
(Ud./él/ella) cantaba (HMM this is the same as for "yo", but maybe there's a way to distinguish between the two pronouns)
(nosotros) cantábamos
(vosotros) cantabais
(Uds./ellos/ellas) cantaban

Out of time for this evening again, so I'll post more about the imperfect tense later on this week.

Buenas noches
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 25 September 2009 at 8:31pm

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5657 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 151 of 223
11 August 2009 at 1:42pm | IP Logged 
Hi Mick, It's interesting to read your conjugation schemes! Of course I know the Spanish one, but I like to recapitulate.

About Finnish, would you say that it's a logically structured language? Are there many exceptions to the grammar rules? How many cases does Finnish have? (Turkish has 6!)

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 11 August 2009 at 1:44pm

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5657 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 152 of 223
11 August 2009 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:

My first list of Swedish words
jag - I
ofta - often
vi - we
kanske - perhaps
tala - speak
dansa - dance
månad - month
onsdag - Wednesday
igen - again
eftermiddag - afternoon
nu - now
där - there
mig - me
igår - yesterday

As far as I can estimate Danish right now, I see some similarities with Danish.

Fasulye

This discussion contains 223 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version