Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

You know you’re a language nerd when...

  Tags: Language Geek
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
3740 messages over 468 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 221 ... 467 468 Next >>
nikorizzo
Diglot
Newbie
United States
Joined 2972 days ago

26 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, Greek, French

 
 Message 1761 of 3740
18 June 2011 at 4:56am | IP Logged 
GRagazzo wrote:
When you're at school and blurt out a cuss-word only to realize that the teacher is right
next to you and heard what you said,so you get nervous and think you will get in trouble
and then realize you said 'cazzo' and are then overwhelmed with joy in the fact that you
spoke naturally in your target language.


I do that too! Well, in Chinese at least...
1 person has voted this message useful



LebensForm
Senior Member
Austria
Joined 3098 days ago

212 posts - 264 votes 
Studies: German

 
 Message 1762 of 3740
18 June 2011 at 5:48am | IP Logged 
nikorizzo wrote:
GRagazzo wrote:
When you're at school and blurt out a cuss-word only to realize that the teacher is right
next to you and heard what you said,so you get nervous and think you will get in trouble
and then realize you said 'cazzo' and are then overwhelmed with joy in the fact that you
spoke naturally in your target language.


I do that too! Well, in Chinese at least...


Haha, me too, but, in German. =)
1 person has voted this message useful



Phantom Kat
Diglot
Senior Member
United States
Joined 3111 days ago

160 posts - 253 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Finnish

 
 Message 1763 of 3740
18 June 2011 at 6:01am | IP Logged 
I probably sound like such a little kid, but...

- when you start a new file in your Pokemon game and name all of your Pokemon after fitting Finnish nouns in order to add more words to your vocabulary.

- Kat
2 persons have voted this message useful



Jinx
Triglot
Senior Member
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 3741 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

 
 Message 1764 of 3740
18 June 2011 at 6:40am | IP Logged 
Levi wrote:
Kafea wrote:
When you print and laminate this chart
http://www.starr.net/is/type/altnum.htm
to keep next to your computer because you need these letters so often and can't keep the keyboards simultaneously open on a shared computer.

...when you've instead designed and installed your own custom keyboard layout capable of typing in pretty much any language that uses the Latin or Cyrillic alphabet.


When, instead of either of these, you've downloaded a particular keyboard layout that can create the diacritics for every language you're studying, including Esperanto (I'll take this chance to show off my ĉ, ĥ, ĵ, ŝ, ŭ...), and you can't imagine why anyone would need a chart, because you've memorized how to type all the accents for your various languages and can produce them as quickly as normal typing.

P.S. If your method of "showing off" to your sister is writing this on her Facebook wall: "Ķẽšŧṟėľ... ąṝĕ ¥ơű ǰe̊āłøủș ɵƒ ṁę þǯ©ảǚšȩ Ỉ çąṉ țÿ¶ë £¡ḱê ṫḫı§?"

EDIT: Wow, my "e" with a line through it doesn't even show up! That makes me feel strangely proud of myself!

Edited by Jinx on 19 June 2011 at 7:01am

2 persons have voted this message useful



Kafea
Groupie
United States
Joined 2980 days ago

78 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Smi

 
 Message 1765 of 3740
18 June 2011 at 7:39am | IP Logged 
When, instead of either of these, you've downloaded a particular keyboard layout that can create the diacritics for every language you're studying, including Esperanto (I'll take this chance to show off my ĉ, ĥ, ĵ, ŝ, ŭ...), and you can't imagine why anyone would need a chart, because you've memorized how to type all the accents for your various languages and can produce them as quickly as normal typing.

P.S. If your method of "showing off" to your sister is writing this on her Facebook wall: "Ķẽšŧṟėľ... ąṝĕ ¥ơű ǰe̊āłøủș ɵƒ ṁę þǯ©ảǚšȩ Ỉ çąṉ țÿ¶ë £¡ḱê ṫḫı§?"



When you are jealous of someone who can write like this. How on earth did you do that?
1 person has voted this message useful



GRagazzo
Diglot
Senior Member
United States
Joined 3009 days ago

115 posts - 168 votes 
Speaks: Italian, English*
Studies: Spanish, Swedish, French

 
 Message 1766 of 3740
18 June 2011 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
When you read your "Italian Step by Step" book by Charles Berlitz in between games of
Halo
1 person has voted this message useful



LebensForm
Senior Member
Austria
Joined 3098 days ago

212 posts - 264 votes 
Studies: German

 
 Message 1767 of 3740
18 June 2011 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
I am using a German keyboard atm... I like the fact I can do ü ö ä or ß with just one finger and not the alt and a bunch of numbers...

YKYALN when you find speaking German with an Italian accent incredibally entertaining and your not even drunk...

When you're at dinner with your family and your mom notices your quiet and asks what are you thinking about, and without hesitation, you blirt out, "the past tense of haben"

When you say you are too tired to go out tonight with your boyfriend because you have been staying up late chatting with a guy from Germany to which you feel like your "cheating" on your boyfriend

Edited by LebensForm on 18 June 2011 at 11:23pm

3 persons have voted this message useful



Bao
Diglot
Senior Member
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 3814 days ago

2256 posts - 4045 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

 
 Message 1768 of 3740
18 June 2011 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
It probably has come up before, but every time I see this thread I want to make a survey asking for every member's definition of nerd and geek.
(Words do matter to me. I never go out without at least one pocket dictionary.)

... when you happily supply your language teacher with vocabulary.


2 persons have voted this message useful



This discussion contains 3740 messages over 468 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468  Next >>


Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version

You cannot post new topics in this forum - You cannot reply to topics in this forum - You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum - You cannot create polls in this forum - You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page was generated in 0.8428 seconds.


DHTML Menu By Milonic JavaScript
Copyright 2019 FX Micheloud - All rights reserved
No part of this website may be copied by any means without my written authorization.