Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

You know you’re a language nerd when...

  Tags: Language Geek
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
3740 messages over 468 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 125 ... 467 468 Next >>
Pau20
Triglot
Newbie
MexicoRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3266 days ago

9 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, English, Italian
Studies: French, German

 
 Message 993 of 3740
10 August 2010 at 7:41pm | IP Logged 
Levi wrote:
...when you just can't understand how people make it to adulthood without knowing that they speak Portuguese in Brazil.


Yeah, that's so annoying... once an Italian taxi driver asked me what language we speak in Mexico.
2 persons have voted this message useful



johntm93
Senior Member
United States
Joined 3373 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

 
 Message 994 of 3740
10 August 2010 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
Pau20 wrote:
   
johntm93 wrote:
Pau20 wrote:

-Your ipod has songs in more than 4 languages
For some reason I feel bad, because as far as I know I only have songs in 3 languages (if you couldn't guess, they're English, Spanish, and oddly I have a few in German even that somehow got on there before I started with German)
Now if we count language courses, I think I could blow 4 out of the water.



Hahahaha don't feel bad, maybe I exaggerated!...Some songs that are in a language I'm not familiar with I don't even know what they say, I just like the way they sound...But there's a cool Dutch rap song called "eeyeeyo" you should have, if you like that genre.
I'm actually listening to it right now. I like it, it may go on my iPod soon.
1 person has voted this message useful



ibraheem
Groupie
United States
Joined 3411 days ago

84 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Mandarin

 
 Message 995 of 3740
11 August 2010 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
kyssäkaali wrote:
Levi wrote:
Pau20 wrote:
-Your ipod has songs in more than 4 languages

...and no songs in English.


Seconded! I just can't enjoy music in English for some reason.

Makes for some awkward conversations when people ask what kind of music you like. "Umm... well I don't listen to any bands you'd know of, let's put it that way."


There is alot of great music in English though it is not played on the radio.
3 persons have voted this message useful



PaulLambeth
Senior Member
United Kingdom
Joined 3419 days ago

244 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Icelandic, Hindi, Irish

 
 Message 996 of 3740
11 August 2010 at 2:03am | IP Logged 
ibraheem wrote:
kyssäkaali wrote:
Levi wrote:
Pau20 wrote:
-Your ipod has songs in more than 4 languages

...and no songs in English.


Seconded! I just can't enjoy music in English for some reason.

Makes for some awkward conversations when people ask what kind of music you like. "Umm... well I don't listen to any bands you'd know of, let's put it that way."


There is alot of great music in English though it is not played on the radio.


Totally agreed. Most of the music I listen to is English but it's never on the radio. On a similar topic:

When you're going through an Irish folk band's music and pick out the ones with Irish Gaelic titles to listen to first.
1 person has voted this message useful



johntm93
Senior Member
United States
Joined 3373 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

 
 Message 997 of 3740
11 August 2010 at 4:27am | IP Logged 
ibraheem wrote:
kyssäkaali wrote:
Levi wrote:
Pau20 wrote:
-Your ipod has songs in more than 4 languages

...and no songs in English.


Seconded! I just can't enjoy music in English for some reason.

Makes for some awkward conversations when people ask what kind of music you like. "Umm... well I don't listen to any bands you'd know of, let's put it that way."


There is alot of great music in English though it is not played on the radio.
This is SO true. Underground music is never played on the radio, but you can find crap from Gucci Mane and Soulja Boy on there any day.
1 person has voted this message useful



Thaorius
Diglot
Groupie
ArgentinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3589 days ago

40 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishB2

 
 Message 998 of 3740
11 August 2010 at 4:55am | IP Logged 
... when you are chatting with one of your best friends, and he says goodbye, so you say
goodbye too, only you make a typographical error (1 letter). Your friend does not assume
it was a typo, nor that you made up the word, nor asks what you meant; he asks what
language that's in!!!
3 persons have voted this message useful



kottoler.ello
Tetraglot
Senior Member
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4049 days ago

128 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian, Mandarin, French
Studies: Japanese, German

 
 Message 999 of 3740
13 August 2010 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
When you get far hornier for languages than members of the opposite sex.

2 persons have voted this message useful



deej
Tetraglot
Newbie
United Kingdom
Joined 3384 days ago

31 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: Hindi, English*, Italian, French

 
 Message 1000 of 3740
14 August 2010 at 1:48am | IP Logged 
When you're not happy with the amount of time you're spending in your target language,
despite spending your whole day listening to music, watching films, learning vocab,
watching TV, reading books and speaking to others in that language, so you decide to
maximise your time by constantly thinking in your target language instead of your native
tongue, despite the fact that you've only been learning it for a few days.


2 persons have voted this message useful



This discussion contains 3740 messages over 468 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468  Next >>


Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version

You cannot post new topics in this forum - You cannot reply to topics in this forum - You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum - You cannot create polls in this forum - You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page was generated in 0.5469 seconds.


DHTML Menu By Milonic JavaScript
Copyright 2019 FX Micheloud - All rights reserved
No part of this website may be copied by any means without my written authorization.