Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

You know you’re a language nerd when...

  Tags: Language Geek
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
3735 messages over 467 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 48 ... 466 467 Next >>
Jadoo1989
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 3794 days ago

51 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Irish, French

 
 Message 377 of 3735
20 February 2010 at 8:08am | IP Logged 
When you've managed to read all 378 messages in this thread over 48 pages in what seemed to be relatively little
time. (It seems like I managed it in 30 minutes, but I'm pretty sure it took longer)

Which leaves a good one - When you lose sense of time because you're too busy either reading this forum or
studying your TL.

When watching the olympics, you pay special attention and show extra pride to the country where your TL is
spoken, leaving everyone else around you astonished as to why you feel compelled to follow the medal count of a
country you've never been to.

Edited by Jadoo1989 on 20 February 2010 at 8:12am

3 persons have voted this message useful



Rikyu-san
Diglot
Senior Member
Denmark
Joined 3689 days ago

213 posts - 413 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English
Studies: German, French

 
 Message 378 of 3735
20 February 2010 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
I am not sure if I remembered to add this one, but I am guilty as charged for these four levels of language wormery:

... when you walk back and forth in your home with your mp3 player and headphones listening to a portion of TL audio, speaking in your trget language and get encouraging looks and comments from the rest of your family.

... when you take it to the next level and walk down the street with your mp3 player and headphones listening to a portion of TL audio, speaking enthusiastically in your target language and receive curious and slightly worried looks from passerbys.

... when you take it even further and walk around in the local supermarket with your mp3 player and headphones listening to a portion of TL audio, speaking in your target language as you shop for your daily dose of dairy products.

... and when you take it all the way and even do it while waiting in line to pay for the goods. Thus the restless and slightly impatient silence in the queue is broken when you say things like, "In den sauren Apfel beissen... Gesund wie ein Fisch im Wasser... Im Gänsemarch gehen... Auf Granit beissen..."
1 person has voted this message useful



kyssäkaali
Diglot
Senior Member
United States
Joined 3714 days ago

203 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish

 
 Message 379 of 3735
20 February 2010 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
Rikyu-san wrote:
I am not sure if I remembered to add this one, but I am guilty as charged for these four levels of language wormery:

... when you walk back and forth in your home with your mp3 player and headphones listening to a portion of TL audio, speaking in your trget language and get encouraging looks and comments from the rest of your family.

... when you take it to the next level and walk down the street with your mp3 player and headphones listening to a portion of TL audio, speaking enthusiastically in your target language and receive curious and slightly worried looks from passerbys.

... when you take it even further and walk around in the local supermarket with your mp3 player and headphones listening to a portion of TL audio, speaking in your target language as you shop for your daily dose of dairy products.

... and when you take it all the way and even do it while waiting in line to pay for the goods. Thus the restless and slightly impatient silence in the queue is broken when you say things like, "In den sauren Apfel beissen... Gesund wie ein Fisch im Wasser... Im Gänsemarch gehen... Auf Granit beissen..."


Wow! Don't you feel self-conscious? I speak to myself in Finnish everyday, but only when locked up inside my room. I could never do it out in public unless I had someone else to speak with.
1 person has voted this message useful



Rikyu-san
Diglot
Senior Member
Denmark
Joined 3689 days ago

213 posts - 413 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English
Studies: German, French

 
 Message 380 of 3735
20 February 2010 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
A little bit, but I used to be much more self-conscious in the beginning. But in Denmark, like elsewhere where mobile phones with headsets and Captain Speaking blue tooth gadgets are now common, it is not as far out as it used to be. Once when people were talking to themselves aloud, other people thought they were crazy. Now all they have to do is wear a headset... I guess I fall into that category.

I am not shouting, by the way, only speaking when prompted in order to practice pronouncation and tip-of-the-tongueness. So one can do it and be almost inaudible if one wants.

However, I can't wait until I begin shadowing Chinese...

Imagine if I walked up and down the aisles in the supermarket between tuna cans, wine bottles and vegetables, pacing back and forth, speaking loudly. Now THAT would be something! (He he).

Edited by Rikyu-san on 20 February 2010 at 10:30pm

1 person has voted this message useful



Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
Senior Member
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3717 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

 
 Message 381 of 3735
20 February 2010 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
Rikyu-san wrote:
I can't wait until I begin shadowing Chinese...Imagine if I walked up and down the aisles in the supermarket between tuna cans, wine bottles and vegetables, pacing back and forth, speaking loudly. Now THAT would be something! (He he).

Fantastic stuff...and you've gotta do it just like this! ;)
1 person has voted this message useful



Rikyu-san
Diglot
Senior Member
Denmark
Joined 3689 days ago

213 posts - 413 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English
Studies: German, French

 
 Message 382 of 3735
20 February 2010 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
I am considering doing some shadowing with German fairy-tales.

Shoppers, beware!

Scene: a shopping mall in a galaxy far far away... a language nerd (yours truly) enters the scene. He begins shadowing:

"Da kamen zum Küchenfenster zwei weiße Täubchen herein und danach die Turteltäubchen, und endlich schwirrten und schwärmten alle Vögel unter dem Himmel herein und ließen sich um die Asche nieder... Excuse me, sir, do you know where the slug shop is? 2nd floor? Thank you, sir... Und die Täubchen nickten mit ihren Köpfchen und fingen an pick, pick, pick, pick, und da... excuse me, sorry, no this is not the escalator to the first floor, it is the one to the parking lots. Where was I? Oh yes... fingen die übrigen auch an pick, pick, pick, pick, und lasen alle guten Körner... No, I am not one of the Bremer Stadtmusikanten... in die Schüsseln. Und ehe eine halbe Stunde herum war... no, you have not seen me on TV, and neither in the Starwars cantina... waren sie schon fertig, und flogen alle wieder hinaus."

What a wonderful day.


1 person has voted this message useful



Johntm
Senior Member
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3583 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

 
 Message 383 of 3735
21 February 2010 at 6:54am | IP Logged 
Jadoo1989 wrote:
When you've managed to read all 378 messages in this thread over 48 pages in what seemed to be relatively little
time. (It seems like I managed it in 30 minutes, but I'm pretty sure it took longer)

Guilty. And it has been said in this thread quite a few times before.
1 person has voted this message useful



canada38
Tetraglot
Senior Member
Canada
Joined 3656 days ago

304 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Japanese

 
 Message 384 of 3735
24 February 2010 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
When you have 8GB of language files stored on your hard drive!


2 persons have voted this message useful



This discussion contains 3735 messages over 467 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467  Next >>


Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version

You cannot post new topics in this forum - You cannot reply to topics in this forum - You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum - You cannot create polls in this forum - You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page was generated in 0.5313 seconds.


DHTML Menu By Milonic JavaScript
Copyright 2019 FX Micheloud - All rights reserved
No part of this website may be copied by any means without my written authorization.