Germany
Joined 6954 days ago

368 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 9 of 100
05 January 2010 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
Katie wrote:

I did it today! I WIPED OUT my iPod! I now have ONLY Hungarian and classical music on my iPod! It took a lot of guts to do that, but it's about time I ensured I can't sneak any English into the time I have. It hurt... LOL, but it's done!

Wow...you have my full, sincere respect. My iPod is also my best friend, and I totally subscribe to AJATT's method, but this is the one step I am just not strong enough to take! Best of luck on your journey, and haha, as far as I'm concerned, you've already won the TAC for that action alone!
1 person has voted this message useful

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6507 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hungarian
Studies: French, German

Message 10 of 100
05 January 2010 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
LOL Thanks Sprachjunge! It was a 30GB iPod too (and just over 20GB of stuff on it) *sniff sniff*

And honestly, I clung to it for so long - likely the same as you - and for some reason, all of a sudden it just felt ok! It still hurt to do it, but it seemed to be a sacrifice I unknowingly became willing to take!

Edited by Katie on 05 January 2010 at 11:40pm

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6507 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 11 of 100
05 January 2010 at 11:35pm | IP Logged 
Jan 5, 2010

Today was one of those days that I mentioned in an earlier post... one where I had ZERO activity in the language.

I actually had a friend, who I have not seen in person for more than 2 or 3 years, come to my city for a short stay. Of course, we spent the whole day catching up - literally from early morning until she went to the train station at 9.45pm. By that point, I was of course EXHAUSTED.

One thing I noticed however, was that in a few instances throughout the day (I would say 3 or so times) while my friend was here, my thoughts were coming in Hungarian and I would kind of 'translate' it to English to say something??

Now, I have no idea if that is just a one off experience, or if I will experience more of that. Is that what it's like? Do you just somehow find your thoughts coming in another language? I haven't experienced it to that extent before.. yes, I have consciously converted my thinking to Hungarian and occasionally things would come to me naturally - but NEVER when I am with company and certainly never when I am in conversation with someone else!

I am not sure if what I noticed was happening more than that as of course, we were in quite constant conversation, catching up - perhaps I only noticed those times because they were moments where my mind shifted focus or something...?? Or perhaps, it does actually come to you in small bits like this and eventually build? I have not experienced this before (this is the first 'other' language I have ever learnt to this extent).

So, I am embarassed to place these stats up today, but that's the game of life! I would have felt terrible to ignore my friend on a once in a few years visit for the purposes of studying - as much as I enjoy that!

SRS - 0hr (Total since 01/01/10 - 2.4hr)
LISTENING - 0hr(Total since 01/01/10 - 9hr)
READING - 0(Total since 01/01/10 - 1.5hr)
SPEAKING/WRITING - 0hr(Total since 01/01/10 - 2hr)
GRAMMAR/CLASSES - 0hr (Total since 01/01/10 - 1hr)

TOTAL IMMERSION - 0hr (Total since 01/01/10 - 16.4hr)

CURRENT ANKI TOTAL - 677

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6507 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 12 of 100
06 January 2010 at 1:41pm | IP Logged 
Jan 6, 2010

Listening activities are going very well. I downloaded a number of free audio books including Poirot & Miss Marple, as well as some children's classics. It's good to switch from music every now and then and just listen to a bit of a story.

My next project is to find a Hungarian audio Bible online. I try to spend a small portion of my morning on Spiritual growth, to set me up for my day however, sometimes I have to get up and 'run' and it doesn't happen. I considered buying or downloading an English version, but with my new iPod rules, I guess it has to be Hungarian!!

Reading is also going well. I am not looking up every word at the moment, as long as I feel I am getting the general idea of the story - which is much easier to grasp with my current book, than the Virginia Andrews one I was reading. Don't get me wrong - I really want to read the VA one - but only when I am proficient enough to move through it quicker, I think!

Hmmmm... what else... I haven't added anymore Anki again. Really need to do that tomorrow I think. Anki motivation isn't exactly the highest right now. I know that I would like to improve my vocabulary, but I guess I'm not overly disappointed just yet, as I've been doing quite well with listening and reading. Speaking is getting there too - just a lack of opportunities lately with a hectic schedule.

Anyway, not much else that is very productive and useful to add, so here are my totals:

SRS - 0.1hr (Total since 01/01/10 - 2.5hr)
LISTENING - 2.65hr(Total since 01/01/10 - 11.65hr)
READING - 0.5(Total since 01/01/10 - 2hr)
SPEAKING/WRITING - 0.5hr(Total since 01/01/10 - 2.5hr)
GRAMMAR/CLASSES - 0hr (Total since 01/01/10 - 1hr)

TOTAL IMMERSION - 3.75hr (Total since 01/01/10 - 19.65hr)

CURRENT ANKI TOTAL - 677

I'll watch a bit of a movie tonight, so may amend totals in the morning - but not sure how much of it I'll watch - I tend to fall asleep after around 10 minutes at this time of night!

~ribbit
United States
Joined 5830 days ago

17 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English

Message 13 of 100
06 January 2010 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
Katie, I can't read ANY Hungarian, but this site might be able to help.

Hangzó Biblia

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6507 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 14 of 100
06 January 2010 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
Hi ~ribbit! Thanks for your help! I took a look at this site yesterday. Unfortunately it says that the audio Bibles are not available at the moment... but I'll keep it bookmarked and hope for the best! :)

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6507 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 15 of 100
07 January 2010 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
Jan 7, 2010

Today was one of those days where I was out and about all day and didn't keep a record at all of what I was actually doing.

I listened to audio books & music, did a little reading, and was consciously translating my thoughts into Hungarian for a good part of the day. I also finished the evening by watching part of a movie. However, as I did not keep exact records, I will not be adding it to my log. Truthfully, I have no idea if I listened to 2 hours or 3 hours of music, 1hour or 2 hours of audio book... just no concept of the time at all, as I was "on the run" all day.

So, I will need to begin taking some sort of notebook with me when I go out, so that I can record what I'm doing. At home, I use a timer because I just don't have a very good concept of time, and I want to have as accurate as possible records, but it's a really loud one, so I don't think I can take it out in public with me! LOL

I will have to have a look closer at my iPod and see if there's a function on there I can use... hmmmm....

Edited by Katie on 08 January 2010 at 11:07am

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6507 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 16 of 100
08 January 2010 at 11:07am | IP Logged 
Jan 8, 2010

I mixed things up quite a bit today. As I’m not getting in a lot of speaking practice at the moment, I decided to go back and do Pimsleur again. Once I’ve finished it perhaps I will move onto the audio for either FSI or Assimil. I know that I won’t pick up any new vocabulary from Pimsleur, but perhaps in the later lessons of FSI & Assimil I will start to hear some new words!

Overall, it’s just an opportunity to speak a little more and also to focus on pronunciation. It’s better than nothing! Of course, I’m still trying to talk my way through activities and translate my thoughts. It’s getting easier to do however, it gets a little ‘boring’ to just do that.

Unfortunately, I’m not having the experience I was hoping with my friends’ non-English speaking parents here. Why? Not because of them – they are lovely! But purely because, as they are from Hungary and one of them has never been to Australia, they are doing a lot of “tourist” stuff – going all over the place to see everything. I have been on one or two trips with them, but I don’t want to intrude and go on every trip! I also don’t want to intrude too much on a short space of time that they have together (it will likely be another couple of years before they see each other again). So unfortunately, it’s not really the opportunity I was hoping it would be. Nobody’s fault – but I will use it the best that I can.

Reading is going really well at the moment. I came across a chapter today which seemed to be filled with quite a lot of words that I was unfamiliar with. It’s like every few chapters, it covers a topic that I am not familiar with and therefore do not have the vocabulary for. I haven’t experienced any drop in motivation because of this, so I’m happy and continuing on.

Music & audiobooks are all going great. I LOVE NOX! My current favourite song is Eskü – I could honestly listen to it a million times over. Perhaps I’ll post up my translation of the song once it is complete.

I also might have a go at listening and reading Harry Potter (book & audio together) again tonight. I was previously doing this, but for whatever reason, didn’t continue. It depends, as I was keen to watch a DVD tonight (although for some reason, I keep falling asleep when I put on DVDs!).

I also started to work through all of the grammar activities in Teach Yourself. I was originally going from book to book and doing the same topic over and over (reading it in each book & doing whatever activities each book had) however, I was getting annoyed with this process, so I’ve decided just to work through the grammar from start to finish in each book, one at a time. I was a lot happier doing this today.

I’m also changing the way I keep my records on here, as it was getting too confusing. I actually think I’ve messed up the totals somewhere along the line here, so I am switching to an easier record.

I am focusing more on the total immersion result. My goal is to complete a minimum of 2 hours per day, so every now and then I will add up what I ‘should have’ studied if I stuck to my 2 hours per day minimum and what I actually have studied. As you can see, I’m just over 7.5 hours ahead at the moment, which I’m very happy with. Hopefully I can keep the ball rolling!

SRS - 0.5hr
LISTENING – 2.5hr
READING - 0.5
SPEAKING/WRITING - 1hr
GRAMMAR/CLASSES – 0.5hr

TOTAL IMMERSION - 23.633 (of planned 16hrs)

CURRENT ANKI TOTAL - 813

PS - Tonight will likely see some further immersion ... either DVD, audio book & reading or maybe some chatting on Skype... I'll edit if I feel it's worthwhile in the morning. As I mentioned, usually I start and only get 15-20 minutes in before I fall asleep anyway! [TOTALS EDITED TO INCLUDE 1HR OF WATCHING DVD]

Edited by Katie on 08 January 2010 at 10:14pm

This discussion contains 100 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version