Germany
Joined 6953 days ago

368 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 41 of 100
06 February 2010 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
Hey Katie,
I just wanted to say good luck again and you definitely have people following your log! I was in the language bookstore that is right around the corner from my dorm, and yesterday I went there just to browse and moon over books that I plan to purchase when I finish the ones I'm working on--I know, it's so sad, it's like a Starbucks for me.

I found myself lingering in the Hungarian literature section, getting a feel for the script, and wondering, "There must be something to this language such that it has excited Katie so much..." Crazy, huh?

Upon reflection, although I stick by my main points in that post I wrote, I also very much agree with what Sprachprofi wrote concerning different types of learning, to give your brain something to chew on.

And there was one vital point that I think I should have emphasized: What will be ultra-beneficial will be a very STRONG PASSIVE understanding of Hungarian in a lot of contexts. Certain active production scenarios just take practice: it took me a few times before I got my "bank patter" or "supermarket patter" down (although there were always bad days :). But I think it is important to be able to accurately comprehend what the bank teller or supermarket clerk is saying--and that, in this age of Internet, podcasts, and Skype--does not necessarily take immersion.

1 person has voted this message useful

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6506 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hungarian
Studies: French, German

Message 42 of 100
06 February 2010 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
Sprachjunge wrote:

And there was one vital point that I think I should have emphasized: What will be ultra-beneficial will be a very STRONG PASSIVE understanding of Hungarian in a lot of contexts. Certain active production scenarios just take practice: it took me a few times before I got my "bank patter" or "supermarket patter" down (although there were always bad days :). But I think it is important to be able to accurately comprehend what the bank teller or supermarket clerk is saying--and that, in this age of Internet, podcasts, and Skype--does not necessarily take immersion.

Oh no! I agree with you! I thought about it and really realised that, as I said, I could get my way around those conversations - but in a long winded way I think. I figure that will be frustrating for me and for the other person. I'm just going to pick a situation and learn the vocab etc for it each week.

I can still do things to learn more in Hungarian. I'm not the sort of person who likes to leave it to chance - and after the effort I have made with this language I have no intention of letting it slide! I'll still be doing grammatical activities (repeating stuff I've covered and maybe even coming into a better understanding), translating songs, learning situations... that sort of stuff - but it's not what I would really class as studying.

I think in some ways it might be a good thing to start another language - because now I am saying "okay I'm devoting 3 of my 7 days to learning German" and my mind says, "you have to do as much as possible on your 4 days!!!" - so I'm sure I'm going to make the most out of those days. And I find myself wanting to read a bit etc in Hungarian each night - like I miss it or something. So, maybe it's a really good thing! We'll see! :)

BTW - Go for it! LOL Get the Hungarian books!! ;)

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6506 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 43 of 100
06 February 2010 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
Sprachjunge wrote:
Hey Katie,
I just wanted to say good luck again and you definitely have people following your log! I was in the language bookstore that is right around the corner from my dorm, and yesterday I went there just to browse and moon over books that I plan to purchase when I finish the ones I'm working on--I know, it's so sad, it's like a Starbucks for me.

OH, and you're telling this to a person who spends at least 2 hours every time she goes to a bookstore... I'm in Heaven around books. I love them!

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5930 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 44 of 100
07 February 2010 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
Katie wrote:
Sprachjunge wrote:
Hey Katie,

OH, and you're telling this to a person who spends at least 2 hours every time she goes to a bookstore... I'm in Heaven around books. I love them!

Haha, I'm the same way too. I have tried to stop myself lately from going to the bookstore because even though I really don't need any more books right now, I always go to the language section and almost always come out with a new book that I don't need--that or I just spend a long time standing there wishing, "I wish I didn't have so many books that I have to get through already so that I could buy this book, or this one."

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6506 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 45 of 100
10 February 2010 at 12:43pm | IP Logged 
February 7-10, 2010

Where is the year going?! Phew! I can hardly believe it!

Okay, so Feb 7th was a Sunday, so it was an assigned Hungarian day. Actually, to be honest, I can't really say I did too much. I spent the morning with my Hungarian friends, and did some shopping with them - but after that, I had to work (from lunch time). It was long and laborious work (we had to pull up a sprung floor and relay it - not fun!). Of course, during that time I didn't have any Hungarian company. So apart from the morning, I didn't do too much.

Mon Feb 8th was again a Hungarian day. I did a lot of chatting on Skype, reading my Hungarian books, reading some stuff online, and watched a DVD too.

Tue Feb 9th - German day. The beginning stages of my German studies have been quite slow. I've been checking out Germanpod101. It seems quite good (I'm currently on a trial), but it is expensive in my opinion - and the online study doesn't entirely suit me. I managed to go to the library and found Hugo's German in 3 Months program. I will give it a go and get started tomorrow on my next German day. Other than that, I relistened to CD 1 of Michel Thomas. It's interesting and I like it in some ways - but I think I'm more of a visual learner - so I really feel I'm missing something by not studying from books. I have some Hungarian friends looking for materials for me - as I thought it'd be interesting to study a little of my German in Hungarian. This probably isn't something I can do 100% of the time, but I'd like to try!

What actually gave me the idea, was that I decided to watch a DVD I have here at home, in German. Now it has German voice-over and German subtitles, English subtitles & Hungarian subtitles - but no Hungarian voice-over. I started to watch it and had the German subtitles - but it was kinda pointless watching it that way. So I switched to English. As I was switching, I saw Hungarian on there and it got me thinking: why not try to listen to the German and read Hungarian - because then I'm working both languages! It worked really well and I really felt like I got something out of it! I got to hear spoken German and familiarise myself with the sounds somewhat, while working my Hungarian in understanding what was actually being said! :) It was fun.

Today has been a Hungarian day again. I have had some chatting in Hungarian, some reading, watching another movie (which I'm about to go and finish off) and listening to some Hungarian music.

I'm actually extremely excited because I just bought the grammar activity workbook I've been talking about on Amazon just now. It will take a couple of weeks to arrive, but I can't wait! Sooooo excited about that! I will look forward to doing some of the activities. It'll make me feel a bit more 'in control', if that makes sense - actually learning and not just trying to soak up more of the language. Anyway, it'll make reviewing grammar much more exciting I think!

Tomorrow I'll be hitting my German day again. As I mentioned, I got Hugo, so I'll start that program and see how it goes. They didn't have Teach Yourself at the library, which I was really surprised about, but anyway! I also tried to buy Teach Yourself German & the CDs along with my Hungarian grammar workbook, but it came up on checkout and said that I could order it (something about it cannot be sent to my address??)... so I didn't get it :(... I'll have to keep looking for a copy...

That's it for now! :)

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6506 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 46 of 100
14 February 2010 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
Feb 11-15, 2010

Hi again everyone! Well, I just got back from my weekend away for work last night. Of course, while I was there, I wasn't able to use or study any of my languages, apart from maybe a small amount of Michel Thomas German on the plan on the way there. Oh, and I did do some reading of a Hungarian reference book for gymnastics that I borrowed from my friend - I was writing new training programs - probably about 30 minutes worth.

Other than that, I got home today to my copy of Teach Yourself German, my new Grammar book and some bits and pieces. Last week, I attempted to assign days to each language (so having 3 German days and 4 Hungarian days). To be honest with you, I found that every Hungarian day, I felt like doing German, and every German day, I felt like doing Hungarian! LOL I'm not sure what that's about!

Anyway, I thought I'd try this week to mix it up a bit more. Perhaps if I do just an hour or so each morning of German, then move on to Hungarian, it will keep me satisfied for the moment. There's a limit to the activities I can do in German, as I barely know a word at this point. Mostly it is study from a learning guide, reading the grammar book, and listening to Michel Thomas. On the other hand, I can listen/watch/read all forms of media in Hungarian.

So that's my goal this week. Hopefully by the end of the week, I'll have a clear idea of whether this way of studying is good for me or not. I imagine it is only because I'm still in the 'excited' stage of learning a new language - but still, I'd rather do some work on both languages each day than to spend my Hungarian day doing only a small amount of Hungarian and wanting to do German (but stopping myself becaust it's my 'Hungarian day') and vice versa on a German day!

So far this morning, (Mon 15th Feb) I've completed Chapter 1 of Teach Yourself German (which arrived on the weekend). I'm about to add in the vocab into Anki (I occasionally open Anki - but maybe I'll be more keen with the new studies happening - who knows!), I'll some more of my grammar book.. and I printed out some worksheets from online for basic German, so I'll take a look at those too.

Then I would like to move onto some Hungarian work. I would like to do some Anki reps, followed by going onto magyarora.com and choosing some worksheets to go through. I'll try to do these worksheets until my new grammar workbook arrives (probably 4-6 weeks).

Anyway, must be off now! I'll report back later to advise what else I've been up to!

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5930 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 47 of 100
15 February 2010 at 12:09am | IP Logged 
Katie wrote:
To be honest with you, I found that every Hungarian day, I felt like doing German, and every German day, I felt like doing Hungarian! LOL I'm not sure what that's about!

Yes, this is how I often felt when I first started my schedule. It was actually a bit annoying, but I think you can get used to it. If not, tweak the days so that they fit what you find works for you. I must have gone through probably ten versions (or more) of my own schedule before arriving at my current one.

Katie wrote:
Anyway, I thought I'd try this week to mix it up a bit more. Perhaps if I do just an hour or so each morning of German, then move on to Hungarian, it will keep me satisfied for the moment. [...] I'd rather do some work on both languages each day than to spend my Hungarian day doing only a small amount of Hungarian and wanting to do German (but stopping myself becaust it's my 'Hungarian day') and vice versa on a German day!

Well, since you only have two languages that you're working on, this shouldn't be too problematic for you. I often wish that I had more time so that I could work on each of my languages every day, but alas, it is not so. I hope it works out for you anyways, whether you choose to stick with the schedule-based study or the two-language-a-day study.

--Philip

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6506 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 48 of 100
15 February 2010 at 3:25am | IP Logged 
Thanks Philip! We'll see how it goes over the week. And yes, I am lucky in that I'm only studying two languages! I have no idea what I'd do if I was studying more than that! LOL

This discussion contains 100 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version