Australia
Joined 6506 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hungarian
Studies: French, German

Message 33 of 100
26 January 2010 at 2:19am | IP Logged 
Jan 24 - 26, 2010

I'm not sure where the last couple of days went! I was a little unwell on 24th so I spent most of it sleeping and watching DVDs (in Hungarian of course). The other two I did... oh wait... much the same :P except minus the sleeping and doing some paperwork instead.

I've been spending so much time chatting on Skype with new people. I went to a new website (well, new for me) which links together people for language practice. I got up the nerve and sent a heap of emails to people, and now I have about 5 different people who I regularly chat with. It's been great because I feel like I'm getting in so much practice!

I'm currently sitting on 67.799 hours of immersion, and my target for this timeframe was 50 hours (as of yesterday & not including what will be today's totals). So I've been able to add in around 18 hours extra immersion. I'm really happy with this!

Tomorrow I'm back at work, so it will be a test to see what happens with my studies. Hoopefully I can keep it all up, but of course, we will have to wait and see! I'm trying to be super organised, so hopefully it won't be too challenging!

I've still had no luck in finding an audio Bible in Hungarian, so I've relented and downloaded an English one. This is because I feel that it is equally important that I take care of my spiritual health (ask Jim Rohn! He says it's really important!!!), and it remains to be the only English thing on my iPod. As soon as I find a Hungarian version, I will take this one off and put it on in its place. Until then, I will have to persevere!

Okay, well I guess that's all I have to report at the moment. I'd like to do some grammatical study today, so I might head off and do that now :)

Oh, I did want to report on what my studies have involved. Not surprisingly, my enthusiasm for Anki died off already. I just can't stick with it! I will just have to be happy with learning vocabulary as I go along, because it just isn't happening. I'm not overly concerned. I know I'll learn it. And if Anki isn't working for me, then it just isn't. Nothing I can do about it, but I'm refusing to make my studies a chore. I love studying language and I intend to keep it that way!

DVDs have been a mainstream. In fact, I think I've watched more DVDs these holidays than I did all year! LOL But in saying that, it's sure to change when I'm back at work.

Other than that, Skype has played a large role, speaking with my Hungarian friends and family has been equally as large... and reading... over these holidays, I've really picked up on my reading. Prior to this it somewhat frustrated me to read because I found it too difficult, but I'm really getting there with reading!

So, it seems, just using everyday sources has been my main focus. And it has been truly enjoyable! I've picked up my grammar books every now and then, broken down some songs & magazine articles.... beginning to really do everything I really wanted to do with a foreign language!! :)

1 person has voted this message useful

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6506 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 34 of 100
31 January 2010 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
Jan 27-31, 2010

Oh boy! Busy week! Of course, the 27th saw the return of school kids and thus my return to work. It has been somewhat of a challenge to do immersion work this week, purely because, being the start of the year, there is so much to do. It should settle over the coming weeks.

I spent basically all day yesterday at my friends' house visiting my Godson,so I was mostly communicating in Hungarian & hearing Hungarian.

Other than that, I've done a bit of reading, watched the remainder of the Gilmore Girls Season 2 DVDs and covered a bit of grammar. It hasn't been as much as I would like, and I'm really looking forward to getting myself a little more organised.

The thing is, though, I refuse to schedule time to do my language studies. This is because I refuse to make it a chore. I love to learn languages - but doing the thing I feel like doing, WHEN I feel like doing it. I can tell myself I need to do something every day and that is easy, but I know that if I schedule to do "this" activity at "this" time, I won't do it. So I schedule everything else in my life (during the weekdays only - I leave weekends for free choice, unless I have a lot to get done and I'm working too).

I'm starting BootCamp this week (YIKES!), so I don't know what to expect as a result of that - and what effect it will have on me. Hopefully all will be good. I guess, at least I have the guarantee that in time it will be good for me! LOL

Anyway, that's it for me. Basically, this week I'm aiming to do a bit more reading and some small amounts of grammar study. And of course to converse! I just felt I really lacked in reading last week, and I actually missed it!

CURRENT IMMERSION HOURS: 78.049hrs
TARGET HOURS FOR THIS TIME PERIOD: 60.00hrs

~ribbit
United States
Joined 5829 days ago

17 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English

Message 35 of 100
01 February 2010 at 6:03am | IP Logged 
Katie,

I agree with you about not scheduling language studies. If I do that, I feel like it's homework, I have to do, now. And then it's no fun anymore. I generally get most of my studying in at night after my kids have gone to bed. If I'm listening to audio stuff (like the French MT course I'm doing right now), I like to jump on the exercise bike while I listen. It actually helps keep me MORE focused on the language instruction that way.

I find it amazing how much time you find to work on your Hungarian. It's so obvious how much you love the language. =)

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6506 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 36 of 100
01 February 2010 at 11:47am | IP Logged 
Hi Kerrie! Thanks for the encouragement! :)

I honestly feel like I don't do enough study - but I try the best I can. I have so many goals and so many things to do to reach those goals that unfortunately, it doesn't leave me all that much time. I just squeeze in what I can.

But yeah, becoming fluent in Hungarian is a major goal of mine, and it really means a lot to me for so many different reasons.

I had my first day at BootCamp today (my way of ensuring that I keep my scheduled time for exercise - as I am not consistently keeping this timeslot). Wow! It was great! But of course, I probably won't be able to move tomorrow morning. LOL

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6506 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 37 of 100
03 February 2010 at 3:44am | IP Logged 
Feb 1-2, 2010

Well, as per my other thread, I've been considering adding another language as I feel like I'm not 'studying' per se anymore. The best I do is a little grammar work to recap here and there, but the bulk of my work is watching movies, reading, etc... using as many native materials as I can to move ahead.

Don't get me wrong, I love being at this point. I can really start to make Hungarian a general part of my day and a normal part of my lifestyle - like reading the paper in the morning (now to just get my hands on some regular resources like magazines etc!). And I enjoy jumping in and doing a little grammar work every now and then - but in saying that, the most regular I really sit down to do this is maybe once a week. I don't see the benefit in doing any more than that, as I'm only recapping.

So, I'm technically not studying... if you get what I mean... My plan is to buy the new grammar activity book that is out, and spend one session a week doing a section of the grammar book (it should be good because it will have new activities that I haven't covered yet - so it might 'trick me out' a little! :P). Other than that, just stick to the regular immersion type stuff...

Which leaves me with a 'learning' hole! In the meantime, until I make a decision with another language, I'm going to use a suggestion from my other post. I'm going to choose a 'situation' and test myself out on how much I could do in that particular situation, and then learn any extra vocab etc... basically getting ready to be able to handle anything! I think I could get my way around with basic language in most situations, but the more I think about it, the more I think "that's not good enough!". So that should keep things a little more fun for a while...

Edited by Katie on 06 February 2010 at 11:35am

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5930 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 38 of 100
05 February 2010 at 5:33am | IP Logged 
Hi Katie,

I just commented in your other log about learning 3+ languages, but I just wanted to give you my encouragement here too. I think you’re doing great and you have some a very admirable amount of motivation for Hungarian. Reading your log has made me want to continue learning my languages more. In fact, it has even made me put Hungarian on my hit list (for no apparent reason other than you seem to like it so much), albeit under ‘low priority.’ I really hope that you can achieve your goals in Hungarian and any other languages you may choose to study.

Best of luck,

Philip

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6506 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 39 of 100
05 February 2010 at 11:51am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
Hi Katie,

I just commented in your other log about learning 3+ languages, but I just wanted to give you my encouragement here too. I think you’re doing great and you have some a very admirable amount of motivation for Hungarian. Reading your log has made me want to continue learning my languages more. In fact, it has even made me put Hungarian on my hit list (for no apparent reason other than you seem to like it so much), albeit under ‘low priority.’ I really hope that you can achieve your goals in Hungarian and any other languages you may choose to study.

Best of luck,

Philip

That is so unbelievably kind of you, Philip! Thank you so much! I will head over and read the log shortly and I look forward to hearing what you have to say :)

BTW, I'm honoured that I would entice you to even CONSIDER to learn Hungarian, let alone put it on your hit list! It really is a beautiful language. It's so much more descriptive and meaningful than English (only in my own opinion of course!). That's what I truly love about it. It's incredible. And I think so many people are scared away by the stories on how hard it is to learn. Seriously, if I can do it, anyone can! :)

It is encouraging to hear that you are enjoying my log - and actually reignites some motivation to keep going with it. I often wonder if I'm writing pointlessly, or if someone out there is reading it! ;) Hopefully there is something worthwhile in amongst my entries!

And if and when you get to Hungarian, I'll be happy to share any ideas, resources, tips, connections etc to help you on your way - just ask! :)

Thanks again!

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6506 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 40 of 100
06 February 2010 at 11:52am | IP Logged 
February 3-6, 2010

Oh the days are going quickly!

Okay, so for those of you have not seen my other post ("Question for those learning 3+ Languages"), I've been considering beginning to learn another language. I was weighing up between French & German, but have now decided to give German a go.

I have decided to devote 3 days a week to German and 4 days a week to Hungarian, although on my German days, until I am up to a level where I can read etc, I still intend on doing some evening reading, etc in Hungarian.

I guess you can say that my overall plan is to make my Hungarian much more of a natural part of my life. I don't want to keep it as special 'assigned' time. I want it now to be more of a natural part of my day. This'll take a fair bit of effort on my part, but I'm sure I'll get there.

Don't get me wrong - I have by no means stopped studying Hungarian. I hope to spend a decent wad of time on one of those assigned days each week studying Hungarian grammar - but as mentioned earlier, the bulk of the 'studying' phase is over and it's really immersion that will take me any further. So I intend to continue to maximise on that.

It has also left some 'brain time' free for me, and I think it'll be good to try out a new language. I'll see how it goes. As I've always said, at least for now Hungarian is my main focus, so if it affects my Hungarian studies in a negative way, then I'll stop for a while longer.

As for German, I managed to borrow Michel Thomas German from the library today. I listed to CD 1 - but on my next German day I will listen to it again. I also signed up on GermanPod101 and did some activities there. It seems like a quite good website.

In case you didn't guess.. today was a German assigned day! ;) However, I was at my friends' house for a few hours today and was happily chatting in Hungarian with my friends' mum for a bit! And of course, tonight I'll be reading a little more :)

I'm not too sure what else to update - it's still quite hectic as far as work goes and I'm looking forward things settling a bit more.

Oh! I decided I needed new glasses. I narrowed down that I was mostly getting those massive headaches when I was wearing my glasses (I am short-sighted, so I have to wear them all the time - but over Christmas holidays, I didn't bother to wear them except when driving etc, because I can see up close fine). I thought it might have been because they are quite scratched and perhaps my eyes were trying to focus on the scratches instead.... anyway, I went to the optometrist to get a new pair, and had my eyes retested. The real problem is that my eyes have improved somewhat - and the glasses are now too strong!!! I was quite happy to hear about the improvement as my last test indicated that they had become a little worse.

So I ordered two new pairs of glasses (a more 'fun' pair and a more 'mature' pair) and 2 boxes of contact lenses - and best of all, all of this cost me just over HALF of what I paid for my last single pair of glasses!! WOOHOOO!!!! :) They should be here in about a week, so I'm super excited and ready to lose the headaches asap!!!

This discussion contains 100 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version