Diglot
United States
Joined 5249 days ago

116 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Hindi, Bengali

Message 89 of 197
01 August 2011 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
Great!! Glad to be proved wrong on this one.

I searched for many, many hours for "Hairi PaaTar" (or anything like it) in Bengali. No soap. I did finally find
Clinton's "মাই লাইফ" but it was in teeny-tiny print. And at the end of the day, I'd rather labor over reading Chaander
Pahaar" by Bhandhopadhyay, if I have to labor over something.
2 persons have voted this message useful

aquablue
United States
Joined 6191 days ago

150 posts - 172 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 90 of 197
03 August 2011 at 7:20pm | IP Logged 
So Hindi is the lingua franca of Mumbai then, or is it the language that is most used in
homes or would that be Marathi? It is a bit confusing.

Basically, Hindi is not spoken in the South much or is it?
1 person has voted this message useful

ihaveacomputer
Triglot
Canada
Joined 6642 days ago

21 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hindi, Punjabi
Studies: Urdu, Italian

Message 91 of 197
04 August 2011 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
Deji wrote:
and the more deshi people are not really too keen on you.

The "oh-my-God-you speak-our language!" points will be even more, I would guess. I
actually know numbers of Konkani-speakers in the US, but none of them would be up for
chatting with me in learners-level Konkani, beyond "how are you, how did you learn"
Then the compliments would drift back into English.

My experience with Punjabis has been completely different. Check out my
video and the comments people
have been leaving. Since uploading, I've been invited to speak at weddings, various
academic events and Sikh religious camps. My exposure was increased even more when a
well-known Youtube comedian asked me to act with him in
this video. I get recognised by
strangers when I leave my house, and people always have the kindest things to say (and
are eager to test out my abilities). The more "deshi" types tend to be even more eager
to speak with me; last week, a few Punjabi foreign students asked to take pictures with
me when we crossed paths in a coffee shop.

I do know that you mentioned practicing beginner's level Konkani, and the reaction one
has to a fluent speaker is markedly different than to someone starting out, but even in
that respect I originally found Punjabis quite accommodating. I can't really comment on
Konkani speakers, as all the Goans I know in the Greater Toronto Area are monolingual.
Their parents certainly know the language, though they seem to have thoroughly
abandoned it.

Edited by ihaveacomputer on 04 August 2011 at 12:54am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Deji
Diglot
United States
Joined 5249 days ago

116 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Hindi, Bengali

Message 92 of 197
04 August 2011 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
Aapke video bilkul kamal ki baat hai! Wah! And the comic video is a riot. It's a very funny video. I love the part
where you get more and more Punjabi-hero every time the camera cuts to you.

Agar mai itne accha Bengali ek din bolte parungi khubi khushi hogi. Aap kitne sal wahaapar the? Wahapar kis tara
kam karte the? I can get up in public and say "Aapke nimantran ke liye bahut bahut dhonyabad" (or same in
Bangla) but that's about it. You spent a year or more there, I take it?

My comments have less relevance for someone who lives there and interacts daily with people --which is the
ideal way of learning--than for someone learning a language in our native countries and perhaps visiting an area
for a shorter length of time. But you indeed do experience the "extra points" factor.

My experience is actually with Hindi and Bengali, and has more to do with people in the US, or people in the
classical music scene in India and the US. (I know quite a few Konkani-speakers, but I don't speak Konkani). It's a
lot easier to pick up a fluid command of the language when you spend time in India. I am also not surprised that
Punjabis would be helpful in this regard. Finding conversations in Bengali is more difficult for me the more well-
educated the people are. And these are the people I know! When I talk to someone and the two of us speak
English so easily, it's very hard to potter along in Bengali at my speed--both for me and them. If I could spend
more time in Calcutta, (say six months to a year) it would be fine, but that isn't in the cards. At any rate, I do get
to make a lot of Bengali/Hindi/Urdu speaking cabdrivers very happy. It's the same conversation each time, phir
bhi--

nakul2891
Bilingual Pentaglot
India
Joined 5421 days ago

7 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: Hindi*, Kannada*, Marathi, English, Sanskrit

Message 93 of 197
26 August 2011 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
aquablue wrote:
So Hindi is the lingua franca of Mumbai then, or is it the language that is
most used in
homes or would that be Marathi? It is a bit confusing.

Basically, Hindi is not spoken in the South much or is it?

India has 28 states,and nearly each state has its own unique language ,hindi is the national
language (apart from the northern states whos state language is hindi itself),so most people
know their state language,hindi and English.

Language of communication depends on the level of business,i mean a local vendor speaks the
local language and the language in the big companies,is English.

So people in Mumbai,might speak marathi at home,hindi while they are travelling and English at
their offices.

However hindi isnt popular in the southern states,where the state language is dominant.
2 persons have voted this message useful

translator2
United States
Joined 6728 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 94 of 197
26 August 2011 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
I would be interested in knowing is how many people are monolingual speakers of Hindi and/or bilingual speakers of just Hindi and English. In other words, how many speakers know just Hindi (and possibly English), but no other Indian language?

Emerald
Triglot
United Kingdom
languagedabbler.blog
Joined 6054 days ago

316 posts - 340 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Gujarati*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 95 of 197
27 August 2011 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
translator2 wrote:
I would be interested in knowing is how many people are monolingual
speakers of Hindi and/or bilingual speakers of just Hindi and English. In other words,
how many speakers know just Hindi (and possibly English), but no other Indian language?

From personal experience of living in India, I would think a lot of people in Madhya
Predesh and Uttar Pradesh regions use Hindi as a native language. Another thing usually
happens is when people move to different region - like Punjabi who move to Gujarat and
don't know Gujarati, would use Hindi instead as a common language with the natives of
that region.

Saim
Pentaglot
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4892 days ago

124 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: Serbo-Croatian, English*, Catalan, Spanish, Polish
Studies: Dutch, Portuguese, Italian, Occitan, Punjabi, Urdu, Arabic (Maghribi), French, Modern Hebrew, Ukrainian, Slovenian

Message 96 of 197
28 August 2011 at 11:15am | IP Logged 
Deji wrote:
The thing is, in choosing a language to study, you need to take some factors into account--or at least be aware
of them upfront. Even learning Hindi can be problematic in terms of learning materials and exposure. Materials
you take for granted with European languages are for various reasons non-existent. Cultural gaps can be MUCH
larger.

Studying Hindi you will find a dearth of good language books--but they exist. Dictionaries are...not good. Often
badly printed in small blurry type, filled with archaic poetical terms and lacking 50-60% of the vocabulary that
you need.

You will not find books with parallel texts, or audiobooks. If you do find them, getting the printed text may be
difficult. You will not find Harry Potter or other known books translated into Hindi. Your best bet will be famous
Hindi writers translated into English.

At least you have a large thriving film industry in Hindi. You may find, however, that culturally and socially, the
people who you might hang out with, go for a drink with, (if you drink) are English speakers, (or are English
speakers with YOU), and the more deshi people are not really too keen on you.

So that is Hindi. For Marathi, and I imagine other languages like Konkani, Gujurati, Orima et al--all these
problems can only get worse. Fewer books and language resources, worse dictionaries, films with blurrier sound
tracks. (Smaller film budgets) Of course it does depend what you want to do in a language. The "oh-my-God-you
speak-our language!" points will be even more, I would guess. I actually know numbers of Konkani-speakers in
the US, but none of them would be up for chatting with me in learners-level Konkani, beyond "how are you, how
did you learn" Then the compliments would drift back into English.

Not that this would be the last word. At the end of the day, if your heart belongs to Telegu, go for it.

Oriya, not Orima.

I don't think the resources for larger Indian languages like Punjabi and Bengali are really that many orders of magnitude less than those for Hindi-Urdu. If you get yourself into an immersion situation in the country, and manage to befriend locals, then it would be better to learn the regional language (except for some small exceptions like Mumbai where Hindi-speakers dominate). Personally, I'm going for Urdu before Punjabi because my grandmother lives in Islamabad and I don't want to miss out on conversing with non-Punjabis. If she lived in Lahore it'd be a different story.

Regarding your own personal experience, I've found that at a beginner's level it's always hard to keep practicing with bilingual people. You just have to be tenacious, and when you get over that beginner's hump and into conversational no Konkani will seriously have any reservations chatting with an Anglophone. I'm also certain you could find a Konkani language partner over the internet, as there are many Indians looking to improve their English.

This discussion contains 197 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version