Taps
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4651 days ago

15 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 97 of 197
29 August 2011 at 6:07am | IP Logged 
This was interesting to read through. My school (Temple University) offers a couple of Hindi classes and I'm starting
one tomorrow. Can't wait!
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4720 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 98 of 197
29 August 2011 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
Deji wrote:
The thing is, in choosing a language to study, you need to take some factors into account--or at least be aware
of them upfront. Even learning Hindi can be problematic in terms of learning materials and exposure. Materials
you take for granted with European languages are for various reasons non-existent. Cultural gaps can be MUCH
larger.

Studying Hindi you will find a dearth of good language books--but they exist. Dictionaries are...not good. Often
badly printed in small blurry type, filled with archaic poetical terms and lacking 50-60% of the vocabulary that
you need.

You will not find books with parallel texts, or audiobooks. If you do find them, getting the printed text may be
difficult. You will not find Harry Potter or other known books translated into Hindi. Your best bet will be famous
Hindi writers translated into English.

At least you have a large thriving film industry in Hindi. You may find, however, that culturally and socially, the
people who you might hang out with, go for a drink with, (if you drink) are English speakers, (or are English
speakers with YOU), and the more deshi people are not really too keen on you.

So that is Hindi. For Marathi, and I imagine other languages like Konkani, Gujurati, Orima et al--all these
problems can only get worse. Fewer books and language resources, worse dictionaries, films with blurrier sound
tracks. (Smaller film budgets) Of course it does depend what you want to do in a language. The "oh-my-God-you
speak-our language!" points will be even more, I would guess. I actually know numbers of Konkani-speakers in
the US, but none of them would be up for chatting with me in learners-level Konkani, beyond "how are you, how
did you learn" Then the compliments would drift back into English.

Not that this would be the last word. At the end of the day, if your heart belongs to Telegu, go for it.

It has already been pointed out that Harry Potter is available in Hindi. There are other authors who are well known in India, who have books in both Hindi and English, such as Ruskin Bond.

There is also a good series of children's books, Karadi Tales, which are available in English and several Indian languages, and have audio CD's. They are for kids, but will be good for an advanced beginner/intermediate Hindi learner. The official website is Karadi Tales. The wikipedia page also mentions an animated Karadi Tales series from 2009, but I know nothing about it. Wikipedia Karadi Tales

The one thing I must really take you to task on is your statement that
Deji wrote:
You may find, however, that culturally and socially, the people who you might hang out with, go for a drink with, (if you drink) are English speakers, (or are English speakers with YOU), and the more deshi people are not really too keen on you.

Now if you mean desi people in Europe or America, you're probably right. But in India, there are loads of people who are happy, even thrilled, to talk Hindi to you. Beggar children can be very annoying to foreign tourists. However, engage them in conversation in Hindi, offer them a few of your biscuits, and you can practice to your heart's content. Taxi and rickshaw drivers are usually very willing to talk Hindi, if you dare to take their attention off the road! In India, don't hang out in bars, clubs, coffee shops and nice restaurants. Go to dhabas, tea shops and the like, and the patrons and owners will have little English, and will be delighted to speak in Hindi with you. Even in a city like Delhi, there are many people with little to no English at all, but these people are invisible to tourists and even most Indians. It's all about who you go to in India!
4 persons have voted this message useful

Mela_Verde
Australia
anonymousangela
Joined 5205 days ago

2 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Polish

Message 100 of 197
07 September 2011 at 2:30am | IP Logged 
My partner is Bengali from Kolkata but as he grew up in Australia, and his parents' common language was English, cannot speak it. I wanted to start learning Bengali but he tells me it is more practical to learn Hindi.
Not sure where to start...it seems very hard and I am quite intimidated by the look of the script!
3 persons have voted this message useful

michi
Nonaglot
Austria
Joined 5112 days ago

33 posts - 57 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, German, French, English, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese
Studies: Turkish, Arabic (Written), Serbo-Croatian, Indonesian, Japanese

Message 101 of 197
09 July 2012 at 9:46am | IP Logged 
I have been considering to learn Hindi for awhile. I am quite interested in India and learning at least a bit of the languages - in the case of India one of the languages - is for me an essential part of getting to know a country. In the case of India Hindi(-Urdu) is the most obvious choice of me. When I would travel to India therefor I would rather concentrate on Hindi speaking northern India. And no matter what other people tell me, I am sure most Hindi speaking people like it when you try to speak to them in their native tongue.

However I am curious about the rest of India, where Hindi is not the native language of the population. I know there has been resistance against making Hindi the sole national language, but I have gotten the impression that this resistance mainly comes from the state of Tamil Nadu with its strong Tamil tradition. Other states seem to have much less problems with the idea of Hindi as the national language of India.

Do people in the rest of India normally learn Hindi in school? Do they speak or understand it better than English? Do they like it when a foreigner adresses them in Hindi, even if it is not their mother tongue. Of course India is a large country and I can imagine there are enormous regional differences. But maybe some of you can give me some first hand experience.

decamillisjacob
Canada
Joined 4543 days ago

38 posts - 63 votes 

Message 102 of 197
09 July 2012 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
I believe it's because English has taken centre stage as the language of law (to an extent), advanced education, science, and business---especially with India's call centre phenomenon. Hindi also, despite its official status, isn't the mother tongue of most Indians either, statistically-speaking, and is often laced with English.

Take a look at the diaspora, too! For example, in Vancouver, ethnic majority dictates Punjabi takes precidence over Hindi. In BC's education system in fact, Punjabi is a third language option (after French) as well as the medium of several local Indian hertiage schools---not Hindi. Punjabi is also known by a lot of local Pakistanis as well as Afghans who migrate to the Panjab region of southern Pakistan.

Edited by decamillisjacob on 10 July 2012 at 6:12pm

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4479 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 103 of 197
10 July 2012 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
In Kerala (the state next to Tamil Nadu), people learn Hindi in school, but they prefer Tamil (Tamil language and Tamil movies). So, more people speak Tamil (which they learn on their own) than Hindi (which is an obligatory subject because of politics). Hindi is not popular in West Bengal either, as well as in Karnataka (in Bangalore Hindi is considered an intruder and an enemy to the state's language: Kannada), and in Andhra outside Hyderbad (in Hyderbad, Hindi-like Urdu is the language of Muslims, Telugu is the language of Hindus).

Hindi is the language of the poorest parts of India (M. Pradesh, U. Pradesh, Bihar) and the language of Bollywood (which is not popular in Southern India, because, Kerala, Tamil Nadu and A. Pradesh have their own movie industries).

For Southern India, the combo Tamil+English is much more useful than Hindi.

Edited by Medulin on 10 July 2012 at 12:06am

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4827 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 104 of 197
10 July 2012 at 11:40am | IP Logged 
Medulin wrote:
Hindi is not popular in West Bengal either, as well as in Karnataka (in Bangalore Hindi is considered an intruder and an enemy to the state's language: Kannada), and in Andhra outside Hyderbad (in Hyderbad, Hindi-like Urdu is the language of Muslims, Telugu is the language of Hindus).

Hindi is the language of the poorest parts of India (M. Pradesh, U. Pradesh, Bihar) and the language of Bollywood (which is not popular in Southern India, because, Kerala, Tamil Nadu and A. Pradesh have their own movie industries).

For Southern India, the combo Tamil+English is much more useful than Hindi.

I wonder where you get your facts from.
Politics and public opinion in India is not so cut and dried as some would have us believe.
Its as clear as mud, even for me.
If one were to follow your reasoning to its logical conclusion, one could claim that Hollywood should not be popular outside the boundaries of the US as most countries possess film industries of their own.
Despite the small matter of regional film industries, Hollywood continues to entertain the world.
Why should the position of Bollywood be any different in India?

Edited by napoleon on 10 July 2012 at 11:44am

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 197 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version