Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
197 messages over 25 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 ... 24 25 Next >>
Nemo
India
Joined 4946 days ago

1 posts - 21 votes

Message 65 of 197
03 November 2010 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
Hello all, this is my first post here. i am not really sure if i am doing the right thing as the last post here was nearly an year ago but i stumbled across this forum, this particular topic rather (incidentally i forgot how i reached here :|) and after browsing around and reading stuff, i actually like this place.

I am from India, New Delhi to be precise and would like to share my views regarding the topic.

First some facts, Hindi, though is the official language of India is not a native language for nearly 40% of the population, mainly south and in east.

English is thought in schools from kindergarten in all cities and even in rural areas, in govt run schools, English is to be taught from std V (now that the implementation is shoddy is another matter) so you can say nearly all indians that come in contact with a foreigner have a fair knowledge of English, unless of course the foreigner sets off to some rural area with the single minded approach of conversing with a local.

These two reasons are why hindi is not as important for a foreigner vising (mostly for economic reasons) india to know compared to chinese in china, but of course there are a no. of other reasons for anyone to pick this language, the rich texts, epics that hindi offers are stupendous.

I belong in the norther part of the country, from the hindi speaking belt actually, Delhi-UP and am proficient in both hindi and English and love using them but unfortunately not many share the same enthusiasm. Keeping the non hindi states aside as for them to not know the language is pretty obvious (funny story, i once ventured to the eastern most part of Bengal state and i found some locals there unable to understand hindi, was a bit shocking tbh), i am appalled at the way the native hindi speakers treat our language.

The idea that hindi is a language of backwardness while speaking English makes one an elite is very much present in our psyche. In fact i have had some spirited debates in my school years with a teacher (with huge colonial hangover if i may add) when she scolded me for conversing in hindi with my classmates (her reason being, 'its an English medium school'). I have also seen people giving interviews in English even if the reporter asks in hindi and in some cases even when the person speaking has a very obvious discomfort in speaking English.

This attitude saddens me. Its is, imo the biggest reason why hindi has a negligible presence in world linguistics, i mean we ourselves do not respect it, how can or why a foreigner will ?

I take a pride at our proficiency in English and that we have more English speakers than the whole of UK. In today's economic atmosphere its impossible to survive with out the knowledge of English, learning English should be encourages, by all means but at the same time one should not derogate one's mother tongue.

The best way to promote any language is by its texts and rich history. When i look around rarely, if ever, do i see my peers (18-25) are group showing an interest in hindi novels, poetry or even gossip magazines.

I dont like bollywood but i thank it for being the single biggest promoter of hindi, even though its mostly incorrect in grammar but then again, correctness is mostly subjective as languages evolve. This is one medium which can really catapult hindi as a language to the western world.

I apologize if my post looks like a one big rant (it probably is :p) but i had to write what i feel. I hope and want that coming generation of indians take pride in hindi and speak/use it more often.

nadia wrote:

I noticed that they spoke English quite a lot in the film and not always correctly... For instance, they often said "Avoid it" with the meaning "forget it", I s'pose, which I don't think I've ever seen/heard used by native English speakers. Or "finish the song" instead of "stop singing".

hey hi, good to see you have an interest in hindi movies, anyway, the terms you mentioned are mostly slang which obviously are almost never to be taken in a literal sense.
21 persons have voted this message useful

lichtrausch
Triglot
United States
Joined 5771 days ago

525 posts - 1072 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 66 of 197
03 November 2010 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
Nemo wrote:

The idea that hindi is a language of backwardness while speaking English makes one an
elite is very much present in our psyche. In fact i have had some spirited debates in
my school years with a teacher (with huge colonial hangover if i may add) when she
scolded me for conversing in hindi with my classmates (her reason being, 'its
an English medium school'). I have also seen people giving interviews in English even
if the reporter asks in hindi and in some cases even when the person speaking has a
very obvious discomfort in speaking English.

This attitude saddens me. Its is, imo the biggest reason why hindi has a negligible
presence in world linguistics, i mean we ourselves do not respect it, how can or why a
foreigner will ?

Good post and I especially agree with this part above. In my view, the worst neglect of
Hindi, indeed the root of Hindi's problems, is in the Indian education system. Hindi is
treated as utterly inferior to English as a language of instruction. The result is that
the prestige attached to Hindi is almost non-existent. The worship of English and the
neglect of Hindi are two sides of the same coin.
5 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6361 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 67 of 197
04 November 2010 at 12:50am | IP Logged 
Nice post Nemo. My Indian co-workers confirm what you said.
1 person has voted this message useful

Deji
Diglot
United States
Joined 5251 days ago

116 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Hindi, Bengali

Message 68 of 197
19 November 2010 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
Yes, good point, Nemo.

In 30 years of trying (less lately) to practice my hindi with hindi-speakers I could support your post with
countless examples but one sticks out in my mind.

Years ago I got into conversation with someone from North India, speaking Hindi. He was surprised and
remarked on my speaking, etc. Yes, I replied, I had been studying it etc etc. "Thank you" he said 'for taking an
interest in such a unsophisticated language"

!!!

Of course, later I thought of the perfect reply. "Who told you that? The English?" (which is unjust to many English
people, but the colonial British could take every opportunity to down the rebellious subjects and their entire
culture. Also easy to do if you never understood it in the first place.)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5156 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 69 of 197
19 November 2010 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
Deji wrote:
Of course, later I thought of the perfect reply. "Who told you that? The English?" (which is unjust to many English
people, but the colonial British could take every opportunity to down the rebellious subjects and their entire
culture. Also easy to do if you never understood it in the first place.)

Actually, it was English education which sparked the Bengali Renaissance, which lead to modern Indian literature.

At any rate, I don't think one can understand India today without studying its native languages and literatures. Indian literature in English is unrepresentative in a number of ways, and much of what is written in Indian languages remains without competent translation.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Deji
Diglot
United States
Joined 5251 days ago

116 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Hindi, Bengali

Message 70 of 197
20 November 2010 at 4:16am | IP Logged 
Well, I can tell you, my British cousins came out with some pretty astoundingly patronizing comments re Indian
culture!

On the other hand, not only did British education spark the Bengali Renaissance, but many English linguists (and
even missionaries) did very important early work with dictionaries in many Indian languages, not to mention
historical research, especially in the early days.

A complicated question. But basically I think there is no arguing that Hindi and Indian languages do not receive their
due.

Metamucil
Groupie
United States
Joined 5686 days ago

43 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 71 of 197
23 December 2010 at 4:35am | IP Logged 
Can anyone provide a list on which provinces specifically where Hindi is spoken as a native tongue? It's basically the north central part of India if I recall.

and where is it a secondary language? I'm assuming perhaps not eastern Bengal like Nemo mentioned and perhaps not Tamil Nadu. Or is the number and geographical spread of people who don't speak Hindi as a native or second language even wider and more complicated?

I still think it the most useful indian language to learn, I believe Bengali is the second most based on pure numbers.

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6760 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 72 of 197
23 December 2010 at 8:26am | IP Logged 
I also found Nemo's post very enlightening. It's sad to hear that Hindi speakers (and presumably, speakers of other Indian languages) feel that way about their own mother tongue.

Does anyone know if the situation is the same with Urdu speakers in Pakistan? I don't think I could feel very motivated to study a language whose speakers have such a great general command of English as in India, and who don't view their own language as worth studying to boot, but if this is not the case with Urdu then I might be interested in studying that.

Edited by Lucky Charms on 23 December 2010 at 8:26am

This discussion contains 197 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version