Germany
Joined 3891 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 169 of 197
04 March 2014 at 4:56pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:

Another change I've noticed over the years about W H Wheeler is that comics available
in Hindi at W H Wheeler seem to be either translated English comics like Batman (which
used to be available in English only), or kiddie stuff like Tinkle. Maybe some other
stuff too, but no Amar Chitra Katha in Hindi.    Back to the point of the thread, the
fact that you can get DC comics in Hindi is a sign that the profile of Hindi has
improved over the years.

I dont think the changing landscape of comics has anything to do with Hindi. Indrajal
comics used to be very popular, with the original English titles translated (very well)
into Hindi. As was Diamond Comics (original Hindi comics). There was a very lively
Hindi literature scene for children and young adults. Comics, magazines, novels.
Growing up in the Hindi belt, there was not even a hint that Hindi was somehow
"inferior".

DC comics is probably now in Hindi because their US revenues have been drying up. 30
years ago, they could afford to ignore foreign markets. Not anymore.
1 person has voted this message useful

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4825 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 170 of 197
04 March 2014 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
horshod wrote:
In fact I have never met a person who went to a "Saint X"
convent school and still spoke Marathi properly, or
even spoke Marathi at all. It took me months to
find out that most of them came from Marathi-
speaking families.

I'm curious to know your definition of proper Marathi. Is it the "shudh" version they speak on the news? ;-)
horshod wrote:

In my opinion, there is no
denying the fact that a lot of English medium
educated people come to regard English (and
anything "Western") as superior to most things
Indian/local, probably more so in the non-Hindi-
speaking states.

The anglicised elite are undoubtedly a self-hating lot.
However, I do not see how you can say the problem is worse in the non-hindi speaking areas.

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5870 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 171 of 197
04 March 2014 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
napoleon wrote:
The anglicised elite are undoubtedly a self-hating lot.
However, I do not see how you can say the problem is worse in the non-hindi speaking areas.

horshod wrote:
I have always wished they had made Sanskrit our national language or the official language of communication, especially after recently reading that Sanskrit lost by only one vote. That way all states get to learn a new language. Plus it would have been one of the biggest language revivals ever.

Excuse me for interrupting one of the most interesting and original exchanges since I've been here, but wouldn't the adoption of Sanskrit have increased (or sustained) enormously the self-esteem and national identity of Indians?

As a student of Indian culture (both formally and informally) for a few decades, I'm quite aware that this wouldn't have been easy or straightforward (nothing in India ever is), but it could have been more neutral, and it wouldn't have stood in the way of English as a "technical language".

On the other hand, it may be just a romantic idea... :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3891 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 172 of 197
04 March 2014 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
Luso wrote:

Excuse me for interrupting one of the most interesting and original exchanges since
I've been here, but wouldn't the adoption of Sanskrit have increased (or sustained)
enormously the self-esteem and national identity of Indians?

As a student of Indian culture (both formally and informally) for a few decades, I'm
quite aware that this wouldn't have been easy or straightforward (nothing in India ever
is), but it could have been more neutral, and it wouldn't have stood in the way
of English as a "technical language".

On the other hand, it may be just a romantic idea... :)

There are a significant number of Indians who are muslims (about 15% now). After the
very bloody 1947 partition of india (death toll 200,000 to 1 million), and during which
the Indian govt was trying to make India a place where all religions had equal status
(unlike Pakistan which was an Islamic state), it would not have been conducive to the
health of the nascent country to have been foisted an ancient Hindu language upon the
muslim population. It sure would not have been neutral. The only way it would have
been possible were if Urdu/Arabic had also been adopted. Pushing two languages on
states (especially on southern states in which both languages were alien) would not
have been practical (recall that India was dirt poor then, and that the partition was
very costly both due to lives lost, and due to the migration of millions of people).

Some schools still teach Sanskrit as a second language. But you know how that goes..

Edited by Gemuse on 04 March 2014 at 6:55pm

Lykeio
United Kingdom
Joined 4053 days ago

120 posts - 357 votes 

Message 173 of 197
04 March 2014 at 10:17pm | IP Logged 
The problem is that Sanskrit isn't in any way an "ancient Hindu language". It's an
ancient Indian language and the amount of secular work in it far, far far, oustrips the
so called religious work - which is varied in sect and religion anyway. This is my
major pet peeve with India, they've let the uneducated right wing nutjob pandits take
over. Wtf would Ashoka say? why aren't there more Aryabhattas and Sayanas? I've said it
before, but if you had less people bungling the Gita and more reading Narayana the
country would be happier.

A Sanskrit which stands on its own two feet, devoid of these disgusting saffronised
connotations, would have been an admirable replacement for English in coining higher
register vocabulary. It could have played the same role as Ancient Greek did for modern
in coining a national language - for Indo-Aryans at least, India is a big and varied
place. Note I'm not saying "adopt Sanskrit" but supplement the modern vernaculars with
it.

Regardless, English is still very important for its international roles and in this
sense India has been lucky. I really am glad to hear that as a vernacular Hindi is
still going strong, in response to the earlier poster who answered my queries.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5870 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 174 of 197
05 March 2014 at 4:44am | IP Logged 
I was thinking of Sanskrit as a classical language of India, not as some piece of religious weaponry.

Anyway, if it was considered at the time, it must have had its virtues.

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3891 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 175 of 197
05 March 2014 at 4:59am | IP Logged 
Lykeio wrote:
The problem is that Sanskrit isn't in any way an "ancient Hindu
language". It's an
ancient Indian language
and the amount of secular work in it far, far far, oustrips
the
so called religious work - which is varied in sect and religion anyway.

If you would read up on what being a Hindu means, you would find that a Hindu is
someone from around the Indus river. It is not necessarily a religion. Someone can be a
Christian AND also a Hindu; or an atheist AND a Hindu. Sanskrit is a thus a Hindu
language.

Lykeio wrote:
This is my
major pet peeve with India, they've let the uneducated right wing nutjob pandits take
over.

The problem is not with the right wing "nutjobs", the problem is with the leftwing
charlatans who, to appease followers of Abrahamic religions, have been suppressing
classical Indian (Hindu) culture and history. It is a tragedy that most Indians who
classify themselves as non-Hindus (read followers of Abrahamic religions) view ancient
Indian culture and language as something alien, and not of their own.

Pakistan SHOULD have had Sanskrit as a studied language as it is in the heritage of its
people (irrespective of their religion). But their whole identity was built upon
rejection of everything traditional Indian.

The situation is not as bad amongst the Abrahamics in India, but a form of the same
rhetoric runs through, and unfortunately has been allowed to develop by the left
wingers.

The partition tragically gave credence to this logic that what was traditional
Indian was not in the heritage of all Indians. A gigantic mistake.

Edited by Gemuse on 05 March 2014 at 6:46am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Lykeio
United Kingdom
Joined 4053 days ago

120 posts - 357 votes 

Message 176 of 197
05 March 2014 at 10:21am | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
Lykeio wrote:
The problem is that Sanskrit isn't in any way an
"ancient Hindu
language". It's an
ancient Indian language
and the amount of secular work in it far, far far, oustrips
the
so called religious work - which is varied in sect and religion anyway.

If you would read up on what being a Hindu means, you would find that a Hindu is
someone from around the Indus river. It is not necessarily a religion. Someone can be a
Christian AND also a Hindu; or an atheist AND a Hindu. Sanskrit is a thus a Hindu
language.

Always amusing, comments like this. I'm a trained Classicist, I can happily read Greek
(whence the term came into English) as well as old Persian and Avestan (which possibly
gave them). More importantly I know Sanskrit, Pali, a few prakrits as well as (modern
tongues like)Hindi and Punjabi. I'm quite aware of what Hindu originally meant. I'm
sure you're also aware that for over a century now the term has been strictly
religious. A Sikh or a Jain will not take well to being called Hindu. Sanskrit it not a
Hindu language. Sanskrit is an INDIAN language.

Quote:
The problem is not with the right wing "nutjobs", the problem is with the
leftwing
charlatans who, to appease followers of Abrahamic religions, have been suppressing
classical Indian (Hindu) culture and history. It is a tragedy that most Indians who
classify themselves as non-Hindus (read followers of Abrahamic religions) view ancient
Indian culture and language as something alien, and not of their own.

Right. It's not the left wing smashing mosques and killing Muslim families in riots,
shamefully common occurrences in modern India. It's not the left wing foisting shite on
schools about how the Vedas are 30,000 years old and the Ramyana contains nuclear
warfare and the Mahabharata evidence of test tube babies. It's not the left wing
banning history books because they don't like what they say, no matter how well argued.
Would you let creationists run wild in your country? I certainly would take to the
streets. India has a larger problem with their equivalent.

Maybe if "Indian culture" wasn't white washed, painted to be what it never was, treated
as some ahistorical unchanging monolithic thing and suborned by the right it would be
more accessible. Two of the best Sanskritists I know are of Muslim heritage (I don't
know their practicing status). Pound for pound with a better understanding of ancient
India than any pandit. How do you think they would have faired in India?

Quote:
Pakistan SHOULD have had Sanskrit as a studied language as it is in the heritage
of its
people (irrespective of their religion). But their whole identity was built upon
rejection of everything traditional Indian.

The situation is not as bad amongst the Abrahamics in India, but a form of the same
rhetoric runs through, and unfortunately has been allowed to develop by the left
wingers.

The partition tragically gave credence to this logic that what was traditional
Indian was not in the heritage of all Indians. A gigantic mistake.

Partition was a gigantic mistake and Pakistan ought never to have existed. Its
certainly coming back to bite everyone in the ass now. On the other hand given the
increasingly evil treatment of these people in India I can see why it was argued for.
The Indians hardly got Nehru's India as promised either.

But this is going well beyond language learning and the history of said languages.

This discussion contains 197 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version