horshod wrote:
I have always wished they had made Sanskrit our
national language or the official language of
communication, especially after recently reading
that Sanskrit lost by only one vote. That way all
states get to learn a new language. Plus it would
have been one of the biggest language revivals
ever.

Yeah. I guess. They resurrected Hebrew in Israel, didn't they?
English was a convenient choice for the founding fathers. Moreover, choosing Sanskrit might not have pleased the minorities who might have demanded that Persian and Arabic be made official languages as well. And then we would have ended up with 3 official languages that nobody speaks in India. :-)
Then again, standard Hindi has been sanskritised to the point where it is nearly incomprehensible to those of our fellow citizens (even those from the Hindi belt) who do not have the benefit of an education.

Edited by napoleon on 01 March 2014 at 3:42pm

1 person has voted this message useful

linguaholic_ch
Triglot
Groupie
IndiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4857 days ago

69 posts - 96 votes 
Speaks: English, Hindi, Bengali
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, French

Message 123 of 197
01 March 2014 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
napoleon wrote:
linguaholic_ch wrote:
No one is forced to learn a language.A Tamil
person doesn't have to learn Hindi unless
required.

Indeed.
And I'm very happy it's that way.
We should not forget what
happened in Bangladesh when they tried to impose Urdu on an unwilling populace.

linguaholic_ch wrote:

Hindi is a language that unites us all(the Indian citizens), and so it is not
hatred or compulsion.

Really? Why is it Hindi that unites us and not Bengali? Or any other Indian language
for that matter?
Our national anthem is in Bengali. What makes Hindi better than any other Indian
language?
It is this dilemma that has forced us to retain English's official status in
independent India. English, despite its colonial past, is perceived as neutral. It is a
compromise. And a rather good one.
Forcing Hindi on those who don't want it does not bring them closer. It merely pushes
them away.

Ofcourse, I am sorry for saying that only Hindi unites us all. Learning Languages is a
noble thing I believe and thinking it to belong to a particular community is a hoax.
Learning a language helps us with our brain keeping fit too. I believe an error lies in
the fact that the government classify people in India as minority but not as Indians.
This causes division and strife.
3 persons have voted this message useful

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4825 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 124 of 197
01 March 2014 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
linguaholic_ch wrote:

I believe an error lies in
the fact that the government classify people in India as minority but not as Indians.
This causes division and strife.

Well said. :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4758 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 125 of 197
02 March 2014 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
napoleon wrote:

English, despite its colonial past, is perceived as neutral. It is a compromise. And a rather good one.

It is not a good compromise if it means you are totally suppressing or even destroying in the process your native languages (and with it a huge part of your culture). It is merely either practicality taken to a nearly implausible extreme or an act of expediency by the government and the society.

And don't get me wrong, I get it. People will do what it takes to cling to an environment of security, and English brings that to such a ethnically diverse nation like India (for now... I think eventually if there are fundamental differences in the society they will come roaring out, especially when those societies really feel threatened. Language extinction is a major trigger of that!)

I don't want to sound so negative, and I am really no-one to judge as I am not Indian, but that is how I see it. English is no compromise at all, it is a plughole in a leaking dam. Unless the underlying problem is not fixed (ethnic rivalries within India), the problem will find its way out another way. And using English will never fix that, it will just have killed part of your heritage in an attempt to suppress your heritage coming out and creating tensions.

It would be like China adopting English or some other European language to appease the Cantonese, the Tibetans, the Uyghurs, etc.

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3891 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 126 of 197
02 March 2014 at 6:38pm | IP Logged 
outcast wrote:

It is not a good compromise if it means you are totally suppressing or even destroying
in the process your native languages (and with it a huge part of your culture). It is
merely either practicality taken to a nearly implausible extreme or an act of
expediency by the government and the society.

And don't get me wrong, I get it. People will do what it takes to cling to an
environment of security, and English brings that to such a ethnically diverse nation
like India (for now... I think eventually if there are fundamental differences in the
society they will come roaring out, especially when those societies really feel
threatened. Language extinction is a major trigger of that!)

I don't want to sound so negative, and I am really no-one to judge as I am not Indian,
but that is how I see it. English is no compromise at all, it is a plughole in a
leaking dam. Unless the underlying problem is not fixed (ethnic rivalries within
India), the problem will find its way out another way. And using English will never fix
that, it will just have killed part of your heritage in an attempt to suppress your
heritage coming out and creating tensions.

It would be like China adopting English or some other European language to appease the
Cantonese, the Tibetans, the Uyghurs, etc.

LOL. English is just a language. How is foisting Hindi on someone who speaks Tamil so
much better than letting English be an alternative?

Hindi is alive and well. Bollywood has ensured that the various language communities
are learning it by choice rather than resenting it for having had it forced on
them.

India has now the best of both worlds: people learning Hindi by choice, and prevalence
of English making it easier for the country to be a hospitable place for international
business.

And FYI, China is making a push to learn English. It is importing English teachers
from USA/UK to teach elementary school kids.

Edited by Gemuse on 02 March 2014 at 6:39pm

lichtrausch
Triglot
United States
Joined 5769 days ago

525 posts - 1072 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 127 of 197
02 March 2014 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:

India has now the best of both worlds

No it doesn't. I'm just going to talk about North India because the situation in South India is different. English is yet another element that is driving a wedge between the upper and lower classes. In order to climb the socioeconomic ladder, hundreds of millions of North Indians who speak either Hindi, or a language that is closely related to Hindi, are asked to climb over another hurdle by learning advanced English. And of course those North Indians who come from privileged families master this extra hurdle much easier in their expensive, exclusive private schools. In Japan, a talented engineering student who struggles learning English is able to have a good career and lead a fulfilling life. In India, that talented engineering student who struggles learning English will see his upwards path cut off and his dreams crushed.

Lugubert
Heptaglot
Sweden
Joined 6676 days ago

186 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Danish, Norwegian, EnglishC2, German, Dutch, French
Studies: Mandarin, Hindi

Message 128 of 197
02 March 2014 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
lichtrausch wrote:
English is yet another element that is driving a wedge between the upper and lower classes. In order to climb the socioeconomic ladder, hundreds of millions of North Indians who speak either Hindi, or a language that is closely related to Hindi, are asked to climb over another hurdle by learning advanced English.

All over the world, kids learn English. They expect to be exposed to at least some English when employed. There must be other problems in your system if learning English is seen as a problem.

There probably have been changes, but when I went to school in Sweden, we were taught English from age 11. (It's probably earlier now.) When I studied for my engineering degree, almost all course books were in English, which I by then had had in school for eight years.

So, what makes English such an obstacle in India?

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 197 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version