Joined 6642 days ago

21 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hindi, Punjabi
Studies: Urdu, Italian

Message 113 of 197
16 August 2012 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
Afgjasmine16 wrote:
Michi, recently Bengali's in India have been more open to
learning Hindi, I'm not sure how it is now. Bengali has a huge literary tradition and
the people of West Bengal are very proud of their language. Majority of North and
Central India you will not have problem getting around with Hindi and it will make
your trip easier. I've noticed some signs in India were completely wrong in English,
so reading the Hindi was a huge help. In India I've never had anyone get mad because I
went up to them speaking Hindi, they will just tell you nicely they don't understand,
but more often than not in North India you will be understood.   

Medulin, every Tamil I have met has spoken Tamil. Trisha Krishnan is only one example
(and I have heard rumors she is not fully Tamil) and majority of the time, the only
reason actresses are dubbed is because their voice doesn't sound "sweet" enough for
movies or the actress is North Indian (example: Shriya Saran) or just doesn't have
Tamil as native language. Majority of Tamils living in Tamil Nadu speak Tamil and will
be very proud and impressed if you speak to them in Tamil, if people in Tamil Nadu
don't understand Tamil, why are there so many Tamil movies, songs, tv shows and signs
written in Tamil?

There's a massive difference between spoken and written Tamil. I am not familiar enough
with the language to describe the extent of the diglossia, but it's definitely enough
to make written texts (not simple signs!) incomprehensible to someone without the
proper educational background. I had a group of English-educated, well-off friends from
Chennai who spoke perfect English and colloquial Tamil, but couldn't get through a
newspaper article on AIDS.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Mela_Verde
Australia
anonymousangela
Joined 5203 days ago

2 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Polish

Message 114 of 197
16 August 2012 at 6:09am | IP Logged 
We found while travelling around Kolkata, nearly everyone spoke a bit of Hindi. My boyfriend is from Kolkata but (sadly) cannot speak Bengali. He can speak the tiniest bit of Hindi, and directed taxi drivers, bought items from people in stores with that. They didn't seem to be offended and couldn't speak any English so that was the only medium everyone could be understood in I guess.

We would love (one day) for our children to learn Hindi or Bengali...he seems to think Hindi would be more useful for when we are visiting his relatives who live ALL over India, most of whom speak Bengali, but all of whom speak Hindi.

hibiki_kenshin
Diglot
Philippines
Joined 4494 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Tagalog*, English

Message 115 of 197
09 October 2012 at 9:26am | IP Logged 
I just noticed that even in foreign countries, Indians talk with each other in English. Maybe they are from different parts of India, and also i've seen Indian families (middle class looking) using English even with themselves.
1 person has voted this message useful

linguaholic_ch
Triglot
Groupie
IndiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4857 days ago

69 posts - 96 votes 
Speaks: English, Hindi, Bengali
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, French

Message 116 of 197
28 February 2014 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
Among many Indians, there is a class consciousness deciding the respect paid to a
language. Students who study in English medium schools, seem to avoid their own mother
tongue either because they think it is an inferior one or because they hate it. I have
seen this with myself. I use English for study and all purpose and I am strong in it,
but I don't know Bengali, my native language well. Although I speak it with my
parents, I really can't read with concentration atleast a Bengali novel or a page in
it.My vocabulary is low.Hindi is my second language and I know it fairly well.

So it's a sorry sight to see students hating their own mother tongue just because they
study English. Somehow we think that English makes us feel more sophisticated, but that
is not the case. We should consider how so many students in Bangladesh had been killed
in 1981 just for the desire to change the official language from Urdu to Bengali. No
doubt English is very important, and I love English with all my heart, but it is time
that Indian youths pay respect to Hindi and their native tongues. Prithee!

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3891 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 117 of 197
01 March 2014 at 11:05am | IP Logged 
Time and time again I see this rhetoric of Indians hating their native languages and not
respecting Hindi. I could not disagree more. I will write a detailed post on it some
time.

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4825 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 118 of 197
01 March 2014 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
Time and time again I see this rhetoric of Indians hating their native languages and not
respecting Hindi. I could not disagree more. I will write a detailed post on it some
time.

Why must an Indian Tamil be forced to learn Hindi?
India is a very large country.
Not all Indians are native speakers of Hindi.
Further, Hindi itself is no monolith. There are so many dialects: Maithili, Maghi, Bhojpuri...
My friend, I am afraid you are over-generalizing the very complex issue of languages and identity in India.

Edited by napoleon on 01 March 2014 at 12:36pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

linguaholic_ch
Triglot
Groupie
IndiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4857 days ago

69 posts - 96 votes 
Speaks: English, Hindi, Bengali
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, French

Message 119 of 197
01 March 2014 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
No one is forced to learn a language.A Tamil person doesn't have to learn Hindi unless
required. Hindi is a language that unites us all(the Indian citizens), and so it is not
hatred or compulsion.It is true what Gemuse wrote about the modern hypocrisy of many
Indians who feel so, especially in cities, where many people refuse to speak any other
language than English.

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4825 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 120 of 197
01 March 2014 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
linguaholic_ch wrote:
No one is forced to learn a language.A Tamil person doesn't have to learn Hindi unless
required.

Indeed.
And I'm very happy it's that way.
We should not forget what happened in Bangladesh when they tried to impose Urdu on an unwilling populace.

linguaholic_ch wrote:

Hindi is a language that unites us all(the Indian citizens), and so it is not
hatred or compulsion.

Really? Why is it Hindi that unites us and not Bengali? Or any other Indian language for that matter?
Our national anthem is in Bengali. What makes Hindi better than any other Indian language?
It is this dilemma that has forced us to retain English's official status in independent India. English, despite its colonial past, is perceived as neutral. It is a compromise. And a rather good one.
Forcing Hindi on those who don't want it does not bring them closer. It merely pushes them away.

Edited by napoleon on 01 March 2014 at 2:57pm

This discussion contains 197 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version