197 messages over 25 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18 ... 24 25 Next >>
Lykeio
United Kingdom
Joined 4055 days ago

120 posts - 357 votes 

Message 137 of 197
03 March 2014 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcW4ABcY3zI

Pertinent? Somewhat so in its focus on Indian education. More so for a wonderful
representation of what we deem Indian English. Honestly out of all the colonial accents I
find this the most pleasant. My Sanskrit prof was like that.

I think Linguaholic does indeed have a somewhat typical complex one finds with Indians.
Which is why I'm asking this to Horshod, do you feel your education in your native Indian
language has been neglectful? I'm curious. It would be a shame if after fighting so hard
for independence and recognition indigenous traditions are either thrust aside or
saffronised and corrupted by the right wing.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4720 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 138 of 197
03 March 2014 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
Lugubert wrote:

So, what makes English such an obstacle in India?

It is not an obstacle.
lichtrausch is flat out wrong. English is no longer a language of the elite. In
Bengaluru, taxi drivers, street vendors, shopkeepers speak basic English.

beano wrote:
The poor sectors of society vastly outnumber the prosperous so I guess
they see the English language as the preserve of the elite.

Knowledge of English signals education in India. That is it. It does not signal that
one is elite or rich. At best, it implies that the person is at least lower middle
class. but not always. I know of one poor woman who speaks English as she was taught in
a Christian school.

Regarding engineering and the English barrier: there are many many languages in India,
unlike Japan. There needs to be one common language in Engineering/Medical school.
Most students WILL have to learn a language different than their mother tongue. Its
just that this second language is now English.

The Bangaluru (Bangalore) example is not typical of India because it is a place with a
lot of tourists. Of course the shopekeepers , taxi drivers, etc speak basic English.
That's where they make their money. But travel to anywhere where tourists don't normally
go, and you'll find very few who speak English.

Lower-middle class is elite in India. People think that if they want to get ahead they
need English. That is what makes it "elite". And of course there are exceptions due to
circumstances, and there are relatively poor people with excellent English (especially in
areas where English is more dominant, like tourist towns, school towns, etc). But I know
people who will scrimp and save in order to send one of their children to an English-
medium school. They hope that the one child will be able to get a good stable job and
support the rest of the family, and they are certain that won't happen without English.
They may be wrong, but that's what they think.

Having said all that, I think that in the Hindi-speaking areas I know, Hindi is much more
respectable now than it was 20-30 years ago. In the 70s if you tried to speak Hindi with
a shopkeeper or taxi driver who knows even a little English, they would often get
offended. I was told that they assumed they were being treated like they were
uneducated. Now, that is just not the case, so by that measure Hindi has a much better
profile. I would hope that the case is similar with other regional languages.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4720 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 139 of 197
03 March 2014 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
Lugubert wrote:
lichtrausch wrote:
English is yet another element that is driving a
wedge between the upper and lower classes. In order to climb the socioeconomic ladder,
hundreds of millions of North Indians who speak either Hindi, or a language that is
closely related to Hindi, are asked to climb over another hurdle by learning
advanced English.

All over the world, kids learn English. They expect to be exposed to at least
some English when employed. There must be other problems in your system if
learning English is seen as a problem.

There probably have been changes, but when I went to school in Sweden, we were
taught English from age 11. (It's probably earlier now.) When I studied for my
engineering degree, almost all course books were in English, which I by then had had in
school for eight years.

So, what makes English such an obstacle in India?

"All over the world" means Europe and other wealthy places. An average village school
in India is in the local language, and if the kids learn much English it is of pretty
poor quality. And by 11 most will have left school anyway. What makes English such an
obstacle? Simple, they don't have the money you have in Sweden.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3893 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 141 of 197
03 March 2014 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:

Having said all that, I think that in the Hindi-speaking areas I know, Hindi is much
more
respectable now than it was 20-30 years ago. In the 70s if you tried to speak Hindi
with
a shopkeeper or taxi driver who knows even a little English, they would often get
offended. I was told that they assumed they were being treated like they were
uneducated.

I have never heard or experienced this.

Regarding lower middle class and English, yes it is true. There are two factors.
1. English does open doors, or rather, lack of English closes doors, as English is the
language of STEM fields in India.
2. Once a family has gained knowledge of English, and all of its concomitant benefits,
they do not want to lose it -- they want to ensure that their progeny has some
familiarity with it. As a result, they prefer sending their kids to schools which teach
english and have STEM texts in English. A side effect of this is that poor parents who
want their kids to be in the company of kids who would be studying hard and who would
be getting into good careers, these parents prefer sending their kids to such English
schools.
Its a cycle.

linguaholic_ch
Triglot
Groupie
IndiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4859 days ago

69 posts - 96 votes 
Speaks: English, Hindi, Bengali
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, French

Message 142 of 197
03 March 2014 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
I am simply stating what I see and observe among the majority of students. There are of
course exceptions and many students are well versed in English as well as their native
language. The education is native language is taught well and the syllabus is good, but I
feel that most of the urban people, speak English as they think it makes them
sophisticated. Many youngsters won't understand some affluent words of their native
language. I am just saying about the typical mindset of the modern youth. But of vourse
there are large exceptions.

Regional boards which teach English are basically geared at grammar, so children are
drilled in grammar, but not in speaking. When they grow up they tend to lose it, due to
it's inefficiency.

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3893 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 143 of 197
03 March 2014 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
Lykeio wrote:

Which is why I'm asking this to Horshod, do you feel your education in your native
Indian language has been neglectful? I'm curious. It would be a shame if after fighting
so hard for independence and recognition indigenous traditions are either thrust aside
or saffronised and corrupted by the right wing.

You are perhaps asking the wrong question to Horshod.
You should have asked if his native Indian language education has been MORE
neglectful than his English school education.

**Just an insight into Indian education: In high school we used to cut class
to.....study. The teachers used to hate that :D
2 persons have voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3893 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 144 of 197
03 March 2014 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
linguaholic_ch wrote:
I am simply stating what I see and observe among the majority of
students.

Your sample is limited. Now you know.

This discussion contains 197 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version