Joined 5227 days ago

100 posts - 145 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, Italian
Studies: Spanish, French, Russian

Message 49 of 197
10 January 2010 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
Paskwc wrote:
Impiegato wrote:

I have also thought about this. One should not underestimate the respect factor and I
also imagine that the business is generally conducted like this:
Indian v foreigner: English
Indian v Indian: often Hindi, rarely English (dependning on the regions in which the
businessmen/women are grown up).

Is this division correct?

Speaking Hindi in contact with Indians means that you will understand both the formal
discussions and the informal ones. A lot of important decisions are often made in
informal groups. The business meeting represents the formal one, where English probably
will be spoken with a foreigner.

Yes and no. If two Hindi speaking business men meet, they may use Hindi out of
convenience or to gain favour with each other. At the same time, they may just speak English to establish that they are competent, serious, world class, etc. In this sense,
the use of English is as important as proper attire, grooming, and behaviour.

What strikes me reading your message is that it implies that English is a prestigious language in India and that Hindi seems to be less prestigious. From a strictly pragmatic point of view, it would be better to speak Hindi if both the Indian businessmen feel like doing so and think that Hindi is the language they really prefer (if Hindi is the language they prefer emotionally, the language they prefer to express nuances and the language their minds use to think).

What I mean is that the tendency might be like in the Maghreb region in the northern parts of Africa: French is traditionally used in the courts, by the authorities and in business, but people speak an Arabic dialect or a Berber language at home. Nevertheless, I have heard that the situation is slowly changing in Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia: Moroccan Arabic, Algerian Arabic and Tunisian Arabic tend to replace French also in the public life and in business.

Do you mean that there are Indians doing business with other Indians using English instead of Hindi only because English is considered a prestigious language showing that you are well-educated and so on? Hindi is actually more spread in India and no Indians have as far as I know English as mother tongue, whereas hundreds of millions speak Hindi as mother tongue.

Edited by Impiegato on 10 January 2010 at 10:30pm

1 person has voted this message useful

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5716 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Swedish, Haitian Creole

Message 50 of 197
12 January 2010 at 4:09am | IP Logged 
Quote:
Hindi is actually more spread in India and no Indians have as far as I know English as mother tongue, whereas hundreds of millions speak Hindi as mother tongue.

While lots of people may speak Hindi, there are also people that speak Marathi or Bengali or Gujarati, etc, that don't speak Hindi (and for political/emotional reasons, don't want to speak Hindi). For those people, English is a neutral language that can be used for communication. This is my guess as to why the situation is like this.

zerothinking
Australia
Joined 6166 days ago

528 posts - 772 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 52 of 197
15 January 2010 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
Because you only learn Hindi if you want to talk to Indians probably because you will be
going to India. I don't want to talk to Indians. I want to talk to hot Polish chicks and
Norwegian models. lol

Kshatriya
India
Joined 5545 days ago

13 posts - 26 votes
Studies: French

Message 53 of 197
15 January 2010 at 6:26am | IP Logged 
Tombstone wrote:
jbbar wrote:
For starters, English is the co-official language of the Indian union and basically it's de facto national language. The federal government uses English. Communication between the individual states has to be conducted in English. The economically most developed states are located in Dravidian South India where people tend to dislike the Indo-Aryan Hindi language and prefer to use English instead.
jbbar

-- If this is accurate, it is a valid answer to the question this thread is based on.

If English rivals Hindi for popularity and usage in its home country...

Nope, it isn't correct for majority. Out of four south Indian states, only one state which is state of Tamil Nadu don't want to learn or speak in Hindi, reason, political influence, nothing else. But, the other 3 states likes and speak Hindi from their heart. They are taught Hindi in their college, they like to watch hindi movies etc etc etc, but all this is not there in state of tamil nade. IRONIC.
If you know Hindi, you can survive in almost all the states in India. Majority of the people know how about Hindi.
English is used in the center government, because and only because of the state of tamil nadu. They are too proud of their language, because it is as much older as sanskrit and they have written texts as old as 5000 years. Hindi is a mixture of sanskrit and persian, so is not a pure Indian language, is one of the reason not liked by people of Tamil nadu.
Being a democracy, India cannot force anything on the people.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Kshatriya
India
Joined 5545 days ago

13 posts - 26 votes

Message 54 of 197
15 January 2010 at 6:27am | IP Logged 
zerothinking wrote:
Because you only learn Hindi if you want to talk to Indians probably because you will be
going to India. I don't want to talk to Indians. I want to talk to hot Polish chicks and
Norwegian models. lol

Yeah, must be the reason why so much Indian bashing is going on in Australia. Anyways, thanks mate.

Kshatriya
India
Joined 5545 days ago

13 posts - 26 votes

Message 55 of 197
15 January 2010 at 6:31am | IP Logged 
lynxrunner wrote:
Quote:
Hindi is actually more spread in India and no Indians have as far as I know English as mother tongue, whereas hundreds of millions speak Hindi as mother tongue.

While lots of people may speak Hindi, there are also people that speak Marathi or Bengali or Gujarati, etc, that don't speak Hindi (and for political/emotional reasons, don't want to speak Hindi). For those people, English is a neutral language that can be used for communication. This is my guess as to why the situation is like this.

If an Indian is educated and he/she can speak English, he/she can also speak Hindi, without a doubt. On the uneducated people who has some other language as their mother tongue, cannot speak Hindi. English is the common language only for the people of Tamil Nadu and Kerela, not any other state. Even the Tamil people now started learning Hindi, still a minority though.

Deji
Diglot
United States
Joined 5234 days ago

116 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Hindi, Bengali

Message 56 of 197
16 January 2010 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
It is very hard for a Westerner to keep a conversation going on in Hindi. The minute you have a problem--hop!
Indians go back to English. Or maybe you didn't have a problem, but we're back in English anyway. I hear that the
younger generation is speaking English IN THEIR FAMILIES.

You are better off speaking with uneducated people, but then god knows what kind of ludicrous accent you are
picking up. I mean ludicrous for you, not for them.

This discussion contains 197 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version