Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 97 of 221
17 April 2011 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
RUSSIAN/SPANISH

I am going to Ukraine tomorrow, so I am super excited about that! I have been listening to A LOT of Russian lately – some that I had already gone through before (Pimsleur, Teach yourself Russian) and some that was new or too advanced for me (Assimil).
I got a compliment for my Russian the other day. I called a Ukrainian friend in Belgium with whom I have always spoken French, and had decided that I was going to start out in Russian, so the conversation went as follows:
-     Hello Nadia, it’s me, Cristina, from Norway.
-     Oh, but you speak Russian!
-     No, I speak Russian quite badly.
-     No, you speak it very well, where have you learned it (followed by a lot in very quick Russian which I did not catch, so I had to go into French…)

So, not terribly impressive, but I take a compliment anywhere I can :-)

I also received the Spanish book on Russian grammar a couple of days ago, and it is amazing! The title says that it is only about cases and prepositions, but I do not think the author has actually read that, so it is about most aspects of Russian grammar. I opened it yesterday morning, and I did the first 20 exercises before breakfast, and could hardly put it down. It does not give translations for all the words they use, so I do not think I could have used it when I knew less Russian, but it is very good for my current level. It is the first time I do Russian from a Spanish book, so that feels a bit weird. I am so used to all my French books on Russian language and grammar. Another ten exercises went down this morning, and I am bringing it to Ukraine so I can do more while I am there.

And tomorrow is my birthday! That is, not my biological birthday, that one is in May, but tomorrow I have been here on this forum for a whole year, and right now I can hardly imagine my existence without it. So I want to send a big birthday hug to those of you who read my log, and I hereby invite all of you to stay at my house for a few days whenever you happen to be in Norway.

1 person has voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5937 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 99 of 221
17 April 2011 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
С Днём Рождения, Кристина! Я желаю что твоя поездка в Украину будет замечательная и что ты будешь говорить много с твоими друзьями по-русски (или по-украински?). Счастливого пути!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 100 of 221
17 April 2011 at 7:59pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, Ellasevia, for the congratulation! I will definitely try to speak to them in Russian and not in Ukrainian!!!

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5130 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 101 of 221
17 April 2011 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
I was going to congratulate you tomorrow of course but since you’re leaving I’ll do it now to make sure you read it before you leave.

Поздравляю с днём рождения! (if that was wrong it’s Wiktionary’s fault. If it was correct I totally figured it out myself) I feel honored to almost share my forum birthday with you! Удачи in Ukraine and many happy linguistic returns!

Edited by ReneeMona on 17 April 2011 at 8:22pm

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5642 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 102 of 221
18 April 2011 at 6:15am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristina, I wish you good and language-intensive holidays in Ukraine! Remember that's a privilege to travel to foreign countries, so you should really enjoy it.

Best wishes,

Fasulye

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5361 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 103 of 221
18 April 2011 at 6:34am | IP Logged 
¡Enhorabuena con tu cumpleaños de este foro! Que te lo pases muy bien en la Ucrania.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5351 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 104 of 221
18 April 2011 at 10:51am | IP Logged 
Happy Forum Day, Solfrid! I hope you have a wonderful time in Ukraine, and return reinvigorated and inspired, with more than enough skills to interpret Battleship Potemkin (lol). ;)

Счастливого пути! (Bon voyage!)

This discussion contains 221 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version