Triglot
France
Joined 5265 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, German

Message 193 of 221
01 November 2011 at 10:21am | IP Logged 
just a really silly Spanish show I'm addicted to (which I've been watching since I came to this forum) : http://www.rtve.es/television/aguila-roja/capitulos-completo s/primera-temporada/
It's about a guy in Renaissace Spain who somehow know japanese martial arts and fights with a katana, and is out to avenge his wife and discover about his origins (as well as saving his friends and towns again and again).

Edited by joanthemaid on 01 November 2011 at 10:23am

1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5351 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 194 of 221
01 November 2011 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
Big congratulations on hitting the 1,000 posts mark, Solfrid! You're a great inspiration to everyone here, and I look forward to celebrating your next milestone very soon...1,000 votes!! :D

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 195 of 221
11 November 2011 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
A very special week indeed. In the line of “Fools rush in where angels fear to tread”, I picked up the phone and called Ziad Fazah, who according to Guinness book of records holds the world record of languages spoken, 59 in total. We may have a slightly different definition of what it is to speak a language, as he counts also languages that he has known, but does not actively speak right now, but it was a very interesting conversation. It is not every day that I get to speak 5 languages with the same person within 40 minutes.

He had no problem communicating in the languages we spoke. Both his French, English and Spanish were really good, and his Italian and German were good enough to carry a conversation without problems. He was a kind and gentle man, and I think he was genuinely pleased that someone called him and talked in different languages.

RUSSIAN
I am in the 6 week challenge with Russian, but not doing terribly well. I am plodding on though. I am doing a bit of Pimsleur and Michel Thomas daily.

SPANISH
I am getting Spanish conversation fairly regularly, so together with English, that is the language which it costs me nothing to keep up.

FRENCH
Still some radio practice, and a good part of the conversation with Ziad Fazah.

ITALIAN
Started a Poirot book, “I primi casi di Poirot” and reading a little when I get the chance. Also a bit of the conversation with Ziadh. I could do with some more practice, though. I used to consider myself fluent. Now I am not.

GERMAN
Only about 5 minutes of the conversation, but it drove home to me that German is a language I really, really need to work on.

TURKISH
Only a few minutes done. Still do no not know if I will be well enough to go to Turkey on Sunday.
----------------------------------
Otherwise I almost got a heart attack today. My daughter left for Denmark, and 1 hour and 15 minutes before the plane left, she called me frantically from the airport, because I had given her her sister’s passport. Since the airport is an hour and 15 minutes drive from our house, that was a bit of a predicament. I told my daughter to ask my husband to run to Oslo central station, told her and my sister to go through the security check, while I grabbed her passport and run for the car. After having broken a considerable amount of traffic rules (driving to Oslo on a Friday afternoon in the rush hour is not for the faint of heart) I managed to get there in 15 minutes, double parked the car, sprinted into the railway station, gave the passport to my husband who jumped on the high speed express which takes 19 minutes to the airport , and by way of two airport security officers he managed to handle the passport to my daughter, who then sprinted to the gate – and caught the plane just in time. I need less stress in my life!

3 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5351 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 196 of 221
12 November 2011 at 3:31am | IP Logged 
Sounds like an Olympic relay race and Smokey and the Bandit all rolled into one...well done on beating the odds, and hope your daughter has a good time in Denmark. I bet you could do with a chilled glass of wine when you got home after all the craziness. :)

(Congrats on hitting the 1,000 votes mark too!)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 197 of 221
12 November 2011 at 8:25am | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:

(Congrats on hitting the 1,000 votes mark too!)

Thank you! I can't believe I've actually got my 4th cup. I still feel like a beginner here.

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6035 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: French, Greek, Italian, Russian

Message 198 of 221
12 November 2011 at 2:24pm | IP Logged 
Too bad the Nordic Passport Union does not apply when you go by plane. I hardly ever fly within Scandinavia and therefore tend to forget about this fact. Glad to hear it came to a happy ending, though ...

//aloysius

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 199 of 221
13 November 2011 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
@aloysius - Yes, you can go to Denmark without passport, but you can't get on the plane!

I am really, really mad at myself right now. In May I planned a trip to Turkey, starting today, but since I have been ill for a month, I thought I would not get to go, and I have studied almost no Turkish. And in an hour I go to Turkey anyway, kicking myself all the way to the airport for having forgotten what little I had learned. I am an idiot :-(

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 200 of 221
14 November 2011 at 8:33pm | IP Logged 
I am outside Antalya right now, and we are proceeding to Pamukkala tomorrow. We got here at 4 in the
morning, so I am a tad punch drunk right now. The people are nice, the food is good and the 8 and 1/2
words of Turkish I have been able to retain have been quite useful :-) We are on a bus tour of the worst
touristy kind, where you are driven around like cattle and led into a bunch of shops. Normally I have a black
belt in shopping, but right now I do not have the energy to. On the good side we get to see a bit of Turkey
for an extremely reasonable price. I hear French, German and Russian around me, and the guiding is in
English, so it is quite international. I have spoken both English, French and German today, but I have not
deared to speak any Russian. Funny that when I am in Russia and Ukraine I will quite happily use what
little Russian I know, but I am scared to death to use it with Russians abroad. I suppose it is because I
assume that Russians abroad speak English, whereas in Russia and Ukraine a lot of them don't and are
quite happy to communicate with me in my horrible Russian. As in Greece there are lots of Russians here.
There are even commercials in Russian in the streets here and there. I get more and more convinced that
Russian is the language for the future in Europe. I never see Mandarin or Japanese used anywhere I have
been.

This discussion contains 221 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version