Triglot
France
Joined 5265 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, German

Message 65 of 221
01 February 2011 at 8:34am | IP Logged 
I am glad to hear you enjoyed the Ukraine. Getting addicted to a place, I think, can never be a bad addiction.
I admire you for resisting the urge to look up vocabulary. I have a big problem with that, you could say I'm addicted to my dictionary... I'm sure having all these roses makes up for eating your veggies anyway!
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 66 of 221
01 February 2011 at 1:05pm | IP Logged 
joanthemaid wrote:

I admire you for resisting the urge to look up vocabulary. I have a big problem with that, you could say I'm
addicted to my dictionary... I'm sure having all these roses makes up for eating your veggies
anyway!

I am afraid no admiration is in order. We are not talking about strength of character here, but of pure
laziness. Plus too much curiosity as to what is happening next to be willing to be slowed down by looking
up words. Obviously this only works for languages I know fairly well. I would not get much out of reading
Russian without looking up the words. :-)

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5276 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 67 of 221
01 February 2011 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

I am however going to Ukraine for a week in April, and that I do really look forward to. It gives me a goal to work
towards. Funny, last year at the same time, I had never visited the Ukraine, and now I am planning my third visit.
This is becoming addictive!

Have you heard of Ambergh International? : http://www.ambergh.com/ (click on Russian courses). They offer
courses in different cities in Russia, Ukraine, and Latvia, and you can opt to stay in student rooms, with a family
or something else which I can't remember. I'd imagine the course paired with staying in a country where Russian
is spoken would help exponentially.

By the way, (and I know this is a bit late, I didn't read it in your log until recently), I'm sorry to hear about your
mom :(. I know what it's like to lose someone close, and I hope that you'll be okay. Here's one big internet hug
from the US.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 68 of 221
07 February 2011 at 1:44pm | IP Logged 
@ Ruskivyetr

I'll have a look at it for future reference, but this time I am staying with a Ukrainian family and I am bringing my husband and kids, so I doubt that I will have the opportunity to to any extra studying.Thanks a lot for both that link and for your kind words.

ITALIAN/RUSSIAN/FRENCH

As I suspected "Les Yeux Noirs" was not in Russian, even though the salesman had sworn to me that it was. That is, a little bit was, but most of it was in Italian, and I could not chose to remove the French subtitles. It was either in French, or in Italian with French sibtitles. They obviously do not like giving you a free choice. Since I have not listened to Italian in a long time, I did not mind that much, but if it had not happened to be one of my target languages, I would have been furious. It must be 20 years since I last saw the film, and I remembered very little, so it was nice to see it again, and a relief to see that I understood most of the Italian.

It was a bit weird having French subtitles. Whenever we can, we always put English subtitles on instead of the Norwegian ones at home, for practise, and even my 11-year old is fine with that, but watching Italian and Russian with French subtitles felt definitely weird. I am quite used to the Russian/French combination since I have about 10 Russian books in French, but Italian/French felt confusing.

I keep up my regular routine of listening and reading a little Russian whenever I can - 5 minutes here and 5 minutes there - not sure how effecient it is, but it is the best I can do.

Oh, and I am going to Brussels tomorrow, so I will get to practise some French and hopefulle a little Spanish (colleagues from Spain and Portugal attending the meetings).

I have hurt my ancle, so right now I am trying to plan how to get through the trip on cruches or in such a way that I do not need to walk at all - you can do anything if you plan ahead. I am praying that the foot is well enough for tomorrow that I can leave them behind (the cruches, not the feet :-). Everyone who do not know me well assumes it is a skiing accident and I hate getting questions about it, since the reason is simply that I walked for 11 hours on a hard flat surface with only socks on, cleaning out my mums flat. It doesn't quite have the same flair about is as a skiing accident, though hopefully the effect won't last so long.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 07 February 2011 at 6:40pm

Alexander.Stoma
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6098 days ago

59 posts - 63 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, Belarusian*, EnglishB2
Studies: Spanish

Message 69 of 221
07 February 2011 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
Hi Cristin!
Hi guys!

I am pleased to accept the Cristin's invitation to join your team. Some words about me
and my goals in TAC 2011 you can find in my log TAC 2011 Team Ж alex.stoma - En Sp
Gm

Edited by Alexander.Stoma on 08 February 2011 at 5:41am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 70 of 221
10 February 2011 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
Welcome Alex!

Just a quick update, I'm in Brussels, and have spoken a lot of French. Two different people complimented me and said they thought I was from Switzerland, since my French accent was so good, and I was so fluent. I am sure they meant it as a nice compliment, but after having watched "Les petits Suisses" when I was a kid, rolling over laughing at the really adorable, but also really funny accent, I struggled to take it as such.

However I got to see CSI Los Angeles in French, and watched some random English film with Dutch subtitles. (So I am not doing Dutch, but I couldn't let go of the opportunity - hey, I'm a language geek!)

Alexander.Stoma
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6098 days ago

59 posts - 63 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, Belarusian*, EnglishB2
Studies: Spanish

Message 71 of 221
10 February 2011 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations!

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Welcome Alex!

Just a quick update, I'm in Brussels, and have spoken a lot of French. Two different
people complimented me and said they thought I was from Switzerland, since my French
accent was so good, and I was so fluent. I am sure they meant it as a nice compliment,
but after having watched "Les petits Suisses" when I was a kid, rolling over laughing
at the really adorable, but also really funny accent, I struggled to take it as such.

However I got to see CSI Los Angeles in French, and watched some random English film
with Dutch subtitles. (So I am not doing Dutch, but I couldn't let go of the
opportunity - hey, I'm a language geek!)

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5364 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew, Biblical Hebrew, Russian, French

Message 72 of 221
10 February 2011 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
That is great that you get to travel so much and use your target languages. I hope your ankle feels better soon.

This discussion contains 221 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version