Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5130 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 9 of 221
28 December 2010 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
Snovymgodom: Welcome to the team! I am assure we will benefit greatly from your experience with Russian.

Préposition: Merci, c'est très gentil det vôtre part. C'est fort probable que je vais en avoir besoin plûs tard. Je suis allé chez Gibert Jeune à Place Saint Michel à Paris pour acheter tout ce qu'ils avaient d'utile, (entre autre des collections bilingues de nouvelles et Le Petit Prince en francais et en russe).
1 person has voted this message useful

geordie
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4883 days ago

24 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: English*, French

Message 10 of 221
28 December 2010 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
Hi Solfrid. I'm honoured to be a part of your team. It looks like you have quite the
knack for learning languages. I will definitely pop by now and then to pick your brain!

J'espère que nous pourrons nous entraider dans les semaines/mois qui suivent. Mon
espagnol écrit n'est pas assez bon pour essayer maintenant, mais peut être un peu plus
tard. J'utilise le site http://www.lexilogos.com/keyboard/french.htm pour mes accents
quelques fois.

p.s. I LOLed at G6&%#ø?¤x cedille.

Go team Ж

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5130 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 11 of 221
28 December 2010 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
geordie wrote:
It looks like you have quite the
knack for learning languages. I will definitely pop by now and then to pick your brain!
Go team Ж

Mostly, I've just literally been at the right place at the right time, but I'm there if there is anything I can help you with, geordie!

Here comes today's rant. I won't write this much every time, but I have to take advantage of the fact that I am on holiday, It'l be shorter once my life gets back to its normal status of total crazyness after the holiday :)

ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES IN MY LANGUAGE STUDIES

We all have some points which work against us and some points in our favor whenever there is something we want to do. My personal challenges in learning foreign languages are being dyslexic and having no time to study.

Focusing on languages as a hobby next to :
-     the job as head of the international section of my company, which involves a bit of travelling plus we are in the middle of a reorganization
-     two active children
-     a workaholic husband who is totally absorbed by his hobby (steam engines)
-     a dying mother in need of a lot of care and a 90 year old father whose health is deteriorating
-     being legal guardian to two children who lost their father this summer
-     being head of the local rose association,
-     having a small personal business where I travel around the country giving lectures as well as producing rose jelly
-     running a show garden and
-     a severe need to do more exercising
means I have absolutely no free time in the conventional sense.

My method of studying is therefore called “The no available time method”. This involves exploiting every single minute I can grab to do a little studying, and sometimes do short nights. It is not an efficient method, but if life hands you lemons, make lemonade. On the other hand, it can help you survive boring task or traumatic times.
-     I’ve got to do housework? Pimsleur Russian, here we go!
-     I am rushing to a hospital three hours from here because my mother has been admitted? Umpteen lessons of Teach Yourself Russian in the car.
-     Ate something that didn’t agree with me? Lots of Russian verbs on the wall of my bathroom. LOL
-     Out walking in 18 degrees below zero to get to work? Russian conversation on my Ipod will make it more enjoyable.
-     Commuting on an overcrowded train? Revising grammar makes you forget the heat and the stress
-     Can’t sleep? Hey, a German novel will help you out

On the other hand I have a few advantages, like
-     A job where I get to practice at least some of my languages, can travel and where they pay for language tuition
-     A mass of resources, both from my days of studying languages, from my mother and from my work
-     A one tracked mind when it comes to focusing on something I am interested in
-     A few languages under my belt and practice in studying them
-     A family who is beyond being surprised at anything I throw at them, and who can actually actively help me practicing my languages at times
-     A strong passion for languages
-     And you guys!
What have I done the last couple of days?

RUSSIAN
Films: I finished watching Twilight in Russian, with Russian subtitles tonight. Not that I really caught much of the dialogue, only the occasional word, and a couple of times a full sentence – once I even caught two full sentences in a row (yes!!). But it is good to listen to normal speech, not a sentence created in a laboratory. The advantage of Twilight is that I know it so well that I don’t care if I do not catch everything. Plus it is entirely in Russian – not in English and Russian at the same time. Russian “dubbing” where the film is in English, and then same dispassionate person reads the texts in Russian alongside, drives me up the wall!!! I’ll probably watch this one repeatedly over the year, until I start understanding the full dialogue.
Listening: Listened to Assimil lesson 1-9 while driving to the hospital (50 min), and 10-12 while folding clothes (20 min). (I am revising the Assimil lessons I looked at earlier this year).

Vocabulary: I put 76 words from Assimil lessons 5-10 into Anki after battling with the system for half an hour. I am still wondering how to add new words into already existing word lists. It seems crazy that I must create a new word list each time. Can someone experienced help me out? I used it for the first time yesterday, and do not have the hang of it yet. Then I revised the words I put in yesterday (about 20).

Did I mention that I also suffer from computer dyslexia/allergy? I can just look at anything PC related – software or hardware - and it goes kaboom.

SPANISH

I started reading a Spanish book day before yesterday on the plain home from Spain, a really big one of 620 pages. It is called “Las rosas de Somerset” (or The Roses of Somerset in the original language). It was said to be in the spirit of “Gone by the wind”, and being an old fan, I went for it, but frankly the only common trait was that a cotton farm was involved. Fortunately I am a quick reader (plus I spent half the night on it) and it was quite a page turner, so I finished it last night.

GERMAN
I figured I might just as well get going with my German reading, and have just read the first chapter of “EIN NEUER JOB FÜR DEN RABBI”. I love crime novels, and have a huge soft spot for Jewish culture, so I figured it would be a perfect kick off.

"Godt begynt er halvt fullført" , as we say in Norwegian (Well started is half ended). May it turn out to be true :)

2 persons have voted this message useful

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5277 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 12 of 221
29 December 2010 at 1:57am | IP Logged 
Solfrid,
Might I just say, all your responsibilities make you an amazing person already, but balancing that AND learning
RUSSIAN...wow. There are literally no words I can use to express my amazement.

Which language is your base for Assimil? I'm assuming French, but they also have a Spanish (and I also notice your
profile puts your Spanish level above your French).

Dieses Buch, das du auf Deutsch liest, kenne ich nicht. Ich liebe auch Krimis, und ironischerweise ist meine Mutter
eine Polnish Jude (also ich bin auch. Wenn die Mutter jemandes jüdish ist, ist er dann ganz jüdisch). Ich will jetzt
dieses Buch lesen :). Wobei hast du es gekauft?

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5938 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 13 of 221
29 December 2010 at 2:16am | IP Logged 
ruskivyetr wrote:
Solfrid,
Might I just say, all your responsibilities make you an amazing person already, but balancing that AND learning RUSSIAN...wow. There are literally no words I can use to express my amazement.

Да, я согласен: ты -- удивительная женщина! Твоя учеба русского языка очень интересная, и я буду читать этот "лог" в этом году. Удачи, Solfrid Cristin!

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5352 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 14 of 221
29 December 2010 at 2:47am | IP Logged 
The "no available time method" (aka Cristin-do) is an art, to which you've brought bundles of pizzazz and creative flair over the last year. I hope you manage to jump the ravine in Russian this year and make great progress in all your goals.

And incidentally, to reassure you that you're not alone in some of these capers, I've got pages from "First 1000 Words in Russian" plastered up on the bathroom wall (and British Sign Language on the fridge too lol). ;)

Edited by Teango on 29 December 2010 at 2:50am

dragonfly
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 6275 days ago

204 posts - 233 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, Mandarin

Message 15 of 221
29 December 2010 at 9:22am | IP Logged 
You are really an amazing woman!
I am also trying to squeeze my language studies into my life with two little children, housework, a job and job-related studies, but I'm afraid I don't manage as well as you do. What impressed me was the speed you covered the book with! Do you practice any techniques of speed-reading?
Удачи!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5130 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 16 of 221
29 December 2010 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
Guys - you make me blush. But thank you for all your kind words.

Ruskivyetr: French is my base for Assimil. Yes my Spanish is better than my French, but in the 20 lessons I
have read, I do not think there have been more than 5 unknown words, so it is no problem.

The "Rabbi"-series is written by the American writer Harry Kemelman. It is not new, because I read it at
least 20 years ago in Norwegian, and there are lots of books in the series. I think I have read 4-5 of them
in different languages. It is nice, because not only do your get a murder mystery, but you get to know quite
a lot about the Jewish faith, and about the tasks of a Rabbi, which is kind of exotic for me.

Ellasevia: Thanks for your encouragement, I am not quite up to answering in Russian, but at least I
understood everything you wrote!

Teango: Good to know that I am not the only one to use all available space for language purposes. :)

Dragonfly: What makes you think I manage well :). I feel like I am learning at the pace of a snail on
morphine, but as long as I actually do have some progress, I'll be happy.

And I do not use any special speed reading techniques, but I was always a very quick reader. When I was
a kid I read approximately 4 books a day (regular size books, big letters).

Can any of you help me out with any terms of endearment in Russian, by the way? The only one I know is
"daragaja". Oh, and it would be nice to specify whether the terms are appropriate for a child, or for the man
in your life. They may not serve for both :)

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 29 December 2010 at 2:09pm

This discussion contains 221 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version