United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5352 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 201 of 221
15 November 2011 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
Pamukkale was good fun and full of Russian speakers when I visited about 10 years ago. Although be warned, my feet were killing me afterwards (as you have to take your shoes off to walk on the mountain in order to preserve its natural beauty). Don't miss out on the hot spring containing ancient ruins too - very relaxing! :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5130 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 202 of 221
15 November 2011 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
@Teango, we will be going tomorrow morning to see Pammukkale proper. I can't wait.

I may be the only Norwegian woman to come home from a holiday in Turkey with the phone number of a
Russian babushka. And to be immensely happy about it! Why so happy? Well because today I had my first
conversation in Russian outside of Russia or Ukraine with someone that I had not payed to speak to me,
and who also seemed to be extremely happy to speak Russian with me, and who gave me lots of
compliments.   The fact that the combined knowledge in English, French and German of the three
generations of women was less than my Russian, might have played a tiny role :-). I butchered the
language totally, and I did not have even a single sentence which was totally correct, but I managed to talk
to them, and both the grandmother and the mother of the family insisted on getting my contact details so
we could contact eachother again. I doubt if anything will come out of it, but I was so happy to actually get
to use my Russian. We also learned 5 words of Turkish, and since 4 of them were among my 8 1/5 I was
the only one who was able to pronounce them properly.

Our guide has a thick accent and his grammar is - eh - creative, but he does a great job explaining the
origin of the words for Ankara, Istanbul, Pamukkale and Antalya. I am really enjoying this trip, even if we are
freezing our tails off. We are also learning a lot of history , and I asked so many question that a lady in my
group asked if I was a historian. :-))

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4805 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 203 of 221
16 November 2011 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations on your Russian success!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5130 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 204 of 221
16 November 2011 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
@ Cavesa Thank you. An insignificant step to mankind, but a huge step for me.

Otherwise I am in a bit of a shock right now, as we were in a car accident today. We are all right, but got
really scared. I am immensely impressed by Turkish police and paramedics though.

I have talked a bit of French today, with some French tourists who asked me if I was French. I love it when
that happens, even if it is usually just after a minute, and with background noice. I was also happy to be
able to help out a Polish lady who was stuck, and didn't know how to ask for help. That felt really good,
even if most of our communication was non- verbal.

Pamukkale was beautiful. Yes my feet hurt after walking barefoot on the mountain, like Teango said, but
unfortunately I did not get to swim in Cleopatra's pool. I will have to come back with my girls.

Our guide claimed that in the time of the Ottomans everyone spoke Arabic, and then they changed to
Turkish in the 20ies. That sounds strange, to say the least. I always heard that Ataturc changed the
alphabet from Arabic to Latin. Impressive in itself. But to change a whole language, for a people of 50-60
millions, of whom several are analphabets? That seems really strange.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5130 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 205 of 221
17 November 2011 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
I think I solved my " how do you make 60 million Turks change their native language" - mystery. According
to a little book in German I bought yesterday, the Turcs used to speak Turkish but write Arabic. What
Atarurc did was to make them write in Turkish with the Latin alphabet instead. That is still a formidable task.
I could not for the life of me figure out how he could make everyone change their language, even if my
guide insisted that this was the case when I asked him about it again this morning.

I have been to a Turkish hamam ( bath) today. Since it is 44 years since I was last scrubbed, washed and
dried by someone else, that was quite an experience. I also went to Virgin Mary's house and to Efesos
today, so I am full of impressions. Oh- and I ate fasulyes today - guess who I thought of then :-)

espejismo
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4847 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 206 of 221
17 November 2011 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
I just realized that fasulye is the same in Russian: фасоль. Took me about a year!

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5643 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 207 of 221
18 November 2011 at 7:05am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Oh- and I ate fasulyes today - guess who I thought of then :-)

There are not many forum members "who you can eat"!

Translation into Turkish:

I ate fasulyes today.

Bugün fasulye yedim. (Often in Turkish the plural form of nouns is not used. The plural form would be fasulyeler.)

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 18 November 2011 at 2:17pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5130 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 208 of 221
19 November 2011 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
@espejismo: Isn't it nice to see similarities like that!

@Fasulyes: You are the only edible forum member I know of :-)

Today I was in the surreal situation thar the only common language we had with a shop keeper was
Russian. Not awfully practical, but I earned a lot of respect from my fellow travelers, rudimentary as my
Russian may be. I also spoke some Russian at another shop. They started out speaking German to me, but
then asked me if I spoke Russian, and I was dumb enough to answer in Russian that I did not. It was nice
though; the owner was from Ukraine, and his assistant from Azerbadjan, and they were both fluent in
Russian.

I also got a compliment from a 25 year old today, which actually made me blush, as it is a while since I had
that from someone in that age group. Not sure if he realized I could have been his mum.

We are still shaky from the accident, and since we yesterday had black smoke coming out of the bus due to
really bad breaking practice, we are really, really on edge.

This discussion contains 221 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version