Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5130 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 25 of 221
01 January 2011 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, snovymgodom! Great to have corrections!

RUSSIAN

Films:
I have watched New Moon in Russian today. As there were no subtitles whatsoever on the disc, I had to really pay attention to what they said, and am still happy every time I understand a full sentence. I had a moment of overexcitement at the beginning of the film, because by coincidence, it started with three full sentences in a row that I understood, and for a second there I thought, “Man, watching films in Russian is really doing wonders – I understand everything!”. And then they were of course followed by a number of sentences where I only understood the occasional word.
Ok, so rationally I know that the chances of me going from A1 – low A2 to understanding everything after two Russian films are extremely remote, to say the least, but it just felt so good! For one glorious second I was at the top of the world, looking down at creation, and I want to have that feeling again, so if nothing else, is served as a strong motivating factor.

Listening:
Going for a walk today I listened to 5 lesson of TY Russian Conversation, and when cleaning up the kitchen after dinner I listened to 4 lessons of Assimil. It is quite incredible how many times I need to listen to the same texts before they actually penetrate my brain, but I am working with the “water drop on the stone principle”. At one point the water will make a whole in the stone, and at some point, the words and structures will stick in my brain.

Grammar
I have done chapter 1-4 in TY Russian grammar, dealing with the Cyrillic alphabet, stress and spelling rules, gender of nouns and the nominative singular. I have gone through them before, but I need to go through the grammar several times, and I have just done a chapter here and there when I felt like it. I thought I would go through the whole book, chapter by chapter, to make sure I cover everything. Does anyone know what the abbreviation cp (neuter) stands for in Russian, by the way?
I also decided to use Anki in a new way. So far I have used it to enter sentences and individual words, but there is no reason why I cannot also use it for grammar. So I started out with:

Q: What is spelling rule number 1?
A: Not to use ы, ю, я after г, к, х, ж, ч, щ etc.

Vocabulary
I entered 37 word and sentences from Assimil, my grammar book and “Le Russe pour les nuls” into Anki, and did some revising. Not a bad day’s work. :-)

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 01 January 2011 at 11:48pm

1 person has voted this message useful

snovymgodom
Diglot
United States
Joined 5521 days ago

136 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian

Message 26 of 221
02 January 2011 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
It's a great feeling when you can understand things, even if they are simple. Keep on studying and you'll be feeling that way even more often!

The ср. stands for средний род, which means "neuter gender".

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5130 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 27 of 221
02 January 2011 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
RUSSIAN

Script and vocabulary.
Last day before the holiday is over, and I have been trying to study as much as possible. I started the day with a 3.5 hour session reading the entire “Beginners Russian Script” (my family slept late).
And this afternoon I have entered 124 words from that book into Anki as well. I have been debating with myself whether to enter only those words which I have difficulties to remember, or whether I should enter all the words I have learned. I have decided to enter all words, as this gives me a better idea as to how many words I actually know in Russian, and it fixes in my mind those words that I may know when I see them, but which I do not know if asked to translate them from Norwegian to Russian. Finally I revised my Anki words, and the Anki grammar.

Films:
I intended to wath "Veronica decides to die" in Russian, but they only had Russian and Ukrainian as options for subtitles, and since I didn't know the film and it relies heavily on dialogue, I watched it in English, with Russian subtitles. Now that I'll know the plot I can watch it in Russian next time. I actually do get some of the words by reading the subtitles, but I am so slow in reading Russian, that I never cath a full sentence. Well, well. It'l come:)

And now, back to work (or to the rough shirt and the oat meal, as we say in Norwegian.) !

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 03 January 2011 at 11:09am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5130 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 28 of 221
04 January 2011 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
Getting back to work was a zoo, and predictably I do not get much done when it comes to studying. I have however managed a little:

RUSSIAN

-     I have written in 50 words in Anki from lesson 22 to 26 and did my revisions for half an hour. I am starting to swear by Anki, because for the first time, the Russian words actually seem to stick, plus I am starting to see my own spelling errors and can correct them (at least some of them :)
-     I listened to lesson 22 of Assimil 68 times yesterday while clearing up after dinner (ok perhaps only 62…) and to lessons 23 and 24 today while folding clothes
-     I have started reading a book called “The seven sins of Russian” in French – it is actually quite fun. It is a bit of grammar, a bit of phonetics and some vocabulary.

ITALIAN

I have read two more chapters in my book, but the whole setting is so uncomfortable that I am struggling with the motivation. A place where a woman is looked down upon for having a profession, and who is in mortal danger for being an unwed mother, gives me the creeps.

ENGLISH

I don’t usually count English films, because I see them all the time, but this time we watched them without subtitles, and even my two daughters were fine with it. Both had a male lead from Ireland, and my daughters and I have decided that the most seductive accent possible is the Irish one.
The first one was “PS. I love you”, and I who cry at every occasion cried buckets over this one. My face looked like an over cooked potato the next day. The other one, “Leap year” was just funny and sweet. We felt a bit insulted that the tradition of proposing to a man on February 29th was said to be exclusively an Irish tradition, when we have it in Norway and Denmark and probably more countries as well, but I guess you don’t go to an American chick flick for accurate info on European culture...

2 persons have voted this message useful

Préposition
Diglot
France
aspectualpairs.wordp
Joined 4910 days ago

186 posts - 283 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC1
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 29 of 221
04 January 2011 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
How is the script going along? Have you decided whether you'd go for the lovely cursive version, when you write, or
are you just going to stick with the block letter version?

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6499 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 30 of 221
05 January 2011 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

ITALIAN
I have read two more chapters in my book, but the whole setting is so uncomfortable that I am struggling with the motivation. A place where a woman is looked down upon for having a profession, and who is in mortal danger for being an unwed mother, gives me the creeps.

Why torture yourself? Find another book in Italian.

Merv
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5069 days ago

414 posts - 749 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbo-Croatian*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 31 of 221
05 January 2011 at 3:03am | IP Logged 
There's just so much contagious passion for the Russian language in your posts that I simply had to say something.
What exactly about Russian stirs you so? Is it the sound, the arcane (for you, I guess) vocabulary, the literature, the
music, the art, the country, the history, what?

Anya
Pentaglot
France
Joined 5589 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, FrenchC1, English, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German, Japanese, Hungarian, Sanskrit, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hindi

Message 32 of 221
07 January 2011 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
Привет, Сольфрид Кристин!
С удовольствием читаю ваш дневник.
Желаю успехов!

Аня

This discussion contains 221 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version