United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5352 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 57 of 221
25 January 2011 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
So very sorry to hear about your mum, Cristina. Big hug from a little backwater in England, and I'll light a candle for her next Sunday.

And you're right about the therapeutic side of language learning, it can often be comforting to have something else to focus on during times like this. If you can get hold of the original "Irony of Fate" or "Office Romance" in Russian, I guarantee you'll be coming back for more.
1 person has voted this message useful

Hobbema
United States
Joined 5537 days ago

541 posts - 575 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Portuguese, French, Dutch

Message 58 of 221
25 January 2011 at 1:30pm | IP Logged 
Cristina, I'm very sorry to hear of your mom's passing away. Sickness or not, even though you think you're prepared, you're never quite ready for that when it happens.

Wishing you peace through the sorrow,

Hobbema

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5365 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew, Biblical Hebrew, Russian, French

Message 59 of 221
26 January 2011 at 2:55am | IP Logged 
ברוך דיין האמת...my condolences and deepest sympathy for your loss. My prayers are with you, Cristina, and I hope you are surrounded by family and friends who can help you through this difficult time.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5130 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 60 of 221
26 January 2011 at 10:15am | IP Logged 
Thank you, all of you, for your kind regards and condolences. I deeply appreciate that. I am off on a business trip today for the rest of the week, so I won't be able to do much studying this week. Fortunately I am going to Paris, so at least I will be able to speak a little French.

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5131 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 61 of 221
26 January 2011 at 11:55am | IP Logged 
I'm very sorry to hear about your loss, Cristina, and I hope your Russian studies continue to be a comfort to you.

By the way, I really admire you and other forum members who manage to squeeze in their language learning between demanding jobs, families and other obligations. It helps me to appreciate the seas of time I have as a student and to make full use of them.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5130 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 62 of 221
29 January 2011 at 12:16am | IP Logged 
@Thank you ReneeMona, I appreciate your sentiments.

Back from Paris, not much to report in the way of serious studying, but I got to talk a little French, and I saw a double episode of Grey's Anatomy and a double episode of Criminal Minds both in French. I also read a little in Assimil,"Le Russe" though I wouldn't exactly call it studying. Still good for going back to sleep when I wake up at 4 in the morning, though.

And something I can only report here without being considered a freak: I went to Gibert Jeune (large book store) and bought "Asterix" in Corsican. I managed to get hold of "Parlons Ukrainien" with a CD (looks incredibly crappy for self studying, but ok. for learning about the Ukrainien people and its history) and two Russian films. The first is called "12" and is a Russian remake of the legendary "12 angry men" with Henry Fonda, where the accused is a young man from Chechnya who is believed to have killed his adopted father, a Russian officer. The other one is "Black Eyes" who is inspired by the short story by Chechov called "The Lady with the little dog" with Marcello Mastroianni as the star. It says "original version" with French subtitles, and the seller swore to me that that meant that it was in Russian, but I would not be surprised if it was in Italian. If so, I have at least solved my problem of how to get films in Italian.

Edited for numerous spelling errors. At least I should get credit for my creativity in the area...

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 29 January 2011 at 8:17pm

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5266 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, German

Message 63 of 221
29 January 2011 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
I am very sorry for your lost, Cristina... You deserved that trip to Paris: it must have been difficult to deal with everything and still find the time to study languages.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5130 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 64 of 221
31 January 2011 at 11:49pm | IP Logged 
@ Thank you, joanthemaid. It was actually quite nice to get away a bit, and Paris is not the worst place to visit if you need a distraction, even if my trip was work related.

RUSSIAN

I have only done a little (not all) of my Anki the last couple of days. Incredible how that mounts up when you are away or busy a few days. In addition I have of course done my usual routine of listening to tapes whenever I can, and read a little.

I am however going to Ukraine for a week in April, and that I do really look forward to. It gives me a goal to work towards. Funny, last year at the same time, I had never visited the Ukraine, and now I am planning my third visit. This is becoming addictive!

GERMAN

I have been feeling bad for not doing any German lately, so yesterday I hit my bookshelf and took out an Agatha Christie when I went to bed. I finished it this evening, but reading 200 pages in German in addition to my work/family/other projects schedule in 24 hours meant that I was up until 4 o clock reading. Not the brightest of ideas on a Sunday, when you work on Monday, but hey, the two main benefits of being an adult is not having to eat your vegetables and being able to go to bed when you want to. Besides, I couldn't sleep anyway, so it was a nice way to spend the time.

I notice progress, because when I read the last book I had the "Oh, I am reading a book in German"-feeling, and now I didnt think much about which language I was reading in. That doesn't mean that I understood every word, but I never look up words, and I did not feel that I lost any of the meaning. I also like this particular book, because the whole case is cracked open because of a rose, Zephirine Drouhin. Since she is one of my favourites, she is a beautiful dark pink thornless Bourbon rose, that I grow in my garden, that makes the book extra interesting.

This discussion contains 221 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version