Triglot
France
Joined 5266 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, German

Message 148 of 221
25 July 2011 at 10:15am | IP Logged 
I am very sorry to hear about your dad, Christina. My thought are with you and with all Norwegians after the terrorist attacks.
1 person has voted this message useful

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5131 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 149 of 221
25 July 2011 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
Cristina, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. As we say in Dutch; Heel veel sterkte gewenst and my thoughts are with you and your family.

Edited by ReneeMona on 25 July 2011 at 9:16pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5130 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 150 of 221
25 July 2011 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
Dear friends, thank you all so much for your kind words. I must admit that the combination of the collective grief and my personal grief right now is numbing, but it really is a big comfort to have support from so many.

I have spent 5 hours at the funeral parlour and the graveyard today, trying to plan all the practical details together with my sister for the funeral on next Tuesday. We had difficulties even finding a church for the ceremony, in the middle of all this chaos and death.

There was supposed to be a rose march today, in memory of all the people who had been killed. However so many people turned up (150 000 of a population of 500 000)that it was physically impossible to have a march. It was a major show of love and warmth and solidarity though. I am proud that Norway is unchanged in the sense that the prime minister and the king, and everyone of "importance" was right in middle of the crowd, as always. We will not let this change our society. This is the kind of place where you do not lock your doors during the day, and where I can let the children sleep in the garden at night without fear.

We have also seen so many acts of bravery and kindness. Locals who took their boats out and saved lots of young people from the island, even while being shot at, German tourists who gave the young who had had to swim for 40 minutes across the fjord from the island their clothes, to keep them warm.

We have seen unspeakable evil, but also lots of love and kindness, and in that there lies hope for humanity.
3 persons have voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5249 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 151 of 221
26 July 2011 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
It is difficult to comprehend what has happened. It seems like everybody knows someone who has lost friends or
family in the attacks. Walking around the streets you notice that everybody just looks so incredibly sad. It was a
relief this evening to see the first signs of people starting smiling again. It is also a relief to see how our political
leaders, the police, the rescue workers, ordinary people, the royal family and the nation as a whole have reacted
with dignity, warmth and love. I'll never forget the prime minister quoting one of the girls surviving the massacre on
the island: "If one man can show so much hatred, think about all the love so many people can show to each other".

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5763 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 152 of 221
26 July 2011 at 2:53am | IP Logged 
Please add my condolences for Cristina for such a difficult personal loss, and to Norway and its citizens for the terrible recent events. I can't imagine how it must feel to have both happen at once.

I do remember how the days felt here after the US 9/11 terrorist attack. It was just unbelievable. I live across the bay in NJ and this area lost hundreds of souls who worked in NYC that day - 37 in my town alone. I remember that it was maybe five or six days before I heard anyone laugh or joke at all. It was hard to believe that anything would be normal again, nothing ever safe or certain. And of course horror like that and sadness and loss are never really over. Now, though, I can walk to to the waterside, only a few houses away from where I am now, and see the site with the new World Trade Center skyscraper growing there - in just the last few weeks it's become clearly visible as the tallest structure again. Norway too will recover and rebuild - the feeling of peace and security may be far away now, and it's true it might never return to what it was - it's different here now, too - but people are strong and resilient in the face of a senseless and evil event like a terror attack. We saw that here and it will surely be the same there.

Again, my best wishes for Solfrid Cristina and her country during this sad time.

Edited by meramarina on 26 July 2011 at 2:55am

This discussion contains 221 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version