Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4526 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 81 of 270
25 March 2012 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
Great job, Cristina! I'm impressed with your devotion to German!

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
She claimed that the common greeting was not pronounced “Zdrastvutje”, but “Drastvutje”. My Russian teacher said that it had to be some kind of dialect, and that she had never heard it pronounced like that, What do you guys say? I know Irina has spent a lot of time in Estonia, so perhaps she is influenced by that?

Well, you can look at it both ways. I always say “Zdrastvutje”, but if they speak too fast it might become a “Drastvutje” maybe? Probably the same as what happens to "Pojaluista", that becomes "Pojalusta" or "Pojalsta", depending on how fast the person is talking. I'm not sure, but it might be the case.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 82 of 270
26 March 2012 at 1:04am | IP Logged 
I'd say there is always some z-like sound there somewhere, but it's not as clear as s or sh in word-initial consonant clusters (in various languages). it's just there, and you might pronounce it unnaturally noticeably (because it IS a difficult cluster to pronounce, heh). I think if what follows is pronounced well, nobody will realize whether the z was there or not :D It might be more like a practical tip: better underpronounce than overpronounce it.

Also, at least Finnish tends to get rid of consonant clusters. Estonian too I suppose, so maybe Estonians pay even less attention?

A common form is zdraste, btw. But there should be something long between a and te (zdrasssste, zdrasute, zdrastute, zdrasvyte etc), otherwise it'll sound careless and disrespectful... or just like joking if you're on ты terms :)

Edited by Serpent on 26 March 2012 at 1:10am

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5037 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 83 of 270
26 March 2012 at 3:07pm | IP Logged 
I see Serpent beat me to it. What I hear at Shasha's most of the time is more along the lines of 'Drajste', more or less elongated. However, I quickly learnt that Russians here often joke and mock each other because of how they speak sometimes, so I developed the habit to silently communicate in parallel with my friends through looks and gestures whenever someone says something that sounds a bit weird to me.

Remember, you know 'chto' is actually pronounced 'shto', but it becomes 'cho' for laughs :)

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4867 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 84 of 270
26 March 2012 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
I see Serpent beat me to it. What I hear at Shasha's most of the time
is more along the lines of 'Drajste', more or less elongated. However, I quickly learnt
that Russians here often joke and mock each other because of how they speak sometimes, so
I developed the habit to silently communicate in parallel with my friends through looks
and gestures whenever someone says something that sounds a bit weird to me.

Remember, you know 'chto' is actually pronounced 'shto', but it becomes 'cho' for laughs
:)

Not only for laughs. But it is only instead of the pronoun. The conjunction что never
becomes чё. Such things happen in all the languages, unfortunately.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5145 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 85 of 270
26 March 2012 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
mrwarper wrote:
I see Serpent beat me to it. What I hear at Shasha's most of the time
is more along the lines of 'Drajste', more or less elongated. However, I quickly learnt
that Russians here often joke and mock each other because of how they speak sometimes, so
I developed the habit to silently communicate in parallel with my friends through looks
and gestures whenever someone says something that sounds a bit weird to me.

Remember, you know 'chto' is actually pronounced 'shto', but it becomes 'cho' for laughs
:)

Not only for laughs. But it is only instead of the pronoun. The conjunction что never
becomes чё. Such things happen in all the languages, unfortunately.

My Ukrainian friends say "sho-sho" in stead of shto, but I believed that to be Ukrainian?

Tecktight
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
Joined 4787 days ago

227 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian
Studies: German, Russian, Estonian

Message 86 of 270
26 March 2012 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
Cristina, well done, as usual!

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4867 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 87 of 270
26 March 2012 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

My Ukrainian friends say "sho-sho" in stead of shto, but I believed that to be Ukrainian?

As well as Southern Russian. Why did you double the word? If ш is spelt sh, how do you write щ?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5145 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 88 of 270
28 March 2012 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
I said sho-sho because that is how they say it. And the answer to your second question is : "I have no
idea". :-)

This discussion contains 270 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version