Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 105 of 270
05 April 2012 at 6:05am | IP Logged 
@ mrwarper and @ skuld : thank you both for sorting out that expression. We have so many quirky
expressions in Norwegian that I never know which ones are specifically Norwegian and which ones are
universal. I still remember how embarrassed I was when I had translated directly a Norwegian expression
to all my European colleagues and one wrote back a little confused:" what was that about the pigs in the
woods"?

I am also sorry for the loss of both your grandparents. Losing someone close is a painful thing. Yesterday
was my turn. I started talking about the loss of my three close relatives last year, and before I knew it we
were all crying.

Otherwise it is still a bumpy road speaking Russian, but now I manage to say most things I want if the
listener is a patient person with a tad imagination. I am not completely sure whether my Russian has really    
improved or whether I have just thrown away my perfectionism and can speak even if I assume I have the
grammar all wrong, but things basically work out. I still have to use both arms, legs and a wide selection of
sound effects to get my meaning across, but I have actually been able to translate a little for my husband
and that felt really good.

The fact that a lot of people here speak Ukrainian and not Russian does not exactly help. I mean, I am in
Ukraine, so I cannot exactly complain that they speak the national language, but it does make things a bit
tricky. Fortunately everyone understands Russian, so I have no problem with that. I do notice a difference
from just two years ago. When I first came, the whole family spoke Russian to eachother, but now the father
and the youngest daughter speak Ukrainian at home. That makes it a tad complicated, because I never
know whether I do not understand because I am an idiot or whether it is because they speak Ukrainian
generally I go fo the idiot theory.

I am now half way through my Agatha Christie in Russian, and I find it amazing how I can read a page
where I understand perhaps only 10- 20 % of the most common words, but still have a pretty good idea of
the general meaning. It is in a way like playing a game or solving a code where you only have a few of the
elements. Generally I just push through it without looking up any words, because whenever I do I have to
look up practically everything. I did half a page like that yesterday, and it took me an hour to look up all the
words. Some were not even in my tiny dictionary. Still a good feeling to be forcing my way through it, and I
have now established that motive and alibi are called the same in Russian :-)

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 05 April 2012 at 6:09am

1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 106 of 270
05 April 2012 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
So what have I done today? I have watched a two hour Ukrainian folklore show, I have eaten chicken
heart, I have sunbathed in my bikini in the garden and I have asked my hostess in a loud voice in Russian
in a public place if she wouldn't like too pee. What I MEANT to ask her was if she would't like to have
something to drink, since we had invited them out for lunch. The fact that I knew that she had been on the
look out for a restroom for the last two hours didn't really improve matters.

The folklore show was great. There were dances and songs and heaps of traditional costumes. I only
understood three words during the whole show, since it was all in Ukranian, but never mind.

I have also received lots of compliments for my Russian today, which of course only shows how freely they
are given. My youngest daughter had no less than two guys telling her how beautiful she was and that they
loved her today, and since she had never seen them before, that statement was obviously also given fairly
freely. The oldest made a tactic retreat when he realized that she was only 12 years old though. She and
the three other girls, my oldest daughter and their two Ukrainian friends who are also very beautiful quite
literally stopped traffic today. My husband laughs his head off. Norwegian men do not really give
compliments, so he thinks it is hilarious when guys drive by and then reverse the car and drives by again
practically with their tongues at street level, while shouting compliments. I have tried to explain to him that
he is supposed to be the stern father, and not encourage it, but he finds the whole thing way too funny.
2 persons have voted this message useful

jellyfish
Triglot
Groupie
Japan
Joined 4594 days ago

50 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: English, German*, Japanese
Studies: Thai, Persian, Russian

Message 107 of 270
07 April 2012 at 3:55am | IP Logged 
Sounds like you're having a fantastic time! I admire your courage to just go out and speak the language. Did that get progressively easier and less scary for you the more often you did it in different languages, or are you just a natural born talker?

Also very impressed by the Agatha Christie effort. Is it a book you've read before? I thought it'd still be months before I'd dare to pick up a novel in Russian, but somehow I want to get the Hobbit in Russian now. Maybe I will. Thanks for the inspiration. ;)

Enjoy the rest of your holiday!

Edited by jellyfish on 07 April 2012 at 4:41am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 108 of 270
08 April 2012 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
@jellyfish: I am a natural born talker:-) Benny has this hype about speaking from day one,and I have done that since before he was born.

And I feel absolutely intoxicated right now, with zero alcohol or other substances in my blood, I am just high on Russian! I have three reasons for that.

1. I am just home from Ukraine, but this morning I was sitting at the breakfast table speaking and translating to and from Russian. Grantedly my Russian is both very limited, and extremely bad, I doubt that I said one single sentence which was gramatically correct, but I did manage to get across most of the thing I needed to say.

2. I finished my first Agatha Christie book in Russian today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That takes the count up to 11 languages that I have read Agatha Christie in. The really strange thing is that I actually understand very few of the words, but somehow I do understand the meaning, even if I do not understand the words. I know it sounds crazy, but sometimes I can read a page, and I understand what it is about even if I could not have translated a single sentence correctly. It is an extremely strange feeling.

I read the book many years ago, but I did not remember any of it. I think I looked up only about 30 words alltogether, because I found out that if I started to look things up, it took forever to read it, so it was better to just go through it like an ice breaker in winter: at full speed. It still took me all week to finish the book...

I started on a new one on the plane, where I actually did look up a lot of the words, so I only managed to read 4-5 pages in that book today, whereas I have read about 30 -40 pages in the first one today. I also made a word count to see how many words I could understand, and I understood about 40%, (48 words out of 116) - mainly pronouns and prepositions and the ocasional noun or verb.

3. The third reason why I am high on Russian, is that I saw "The Little Mermaid" in Russian today, with no subtitles. Now it was obvious that it was easier to follow a film like this than a film for adults, and I have seen the film before, even if that is some years ago, but I suddenly understood so much more than I have done before! When I have watched films in Russian before, I have only understood a word here and there, and perhaps a sentence once in a blue moon, but here I could follow a lot.

It felt like I had made a quantum leap in Russian. I do not know if it was the 6WC, all the Russian I have spoken over the last week, all the Russian I have read over the last week, or simply that this film was way easier than other material I have seen, but I felt like king of the world!

I have bought an insane amount of Russian films with no subtitles, and my goal is to see as many of them as humanly possible over the next few months.

I thought that I had bought 8 films, but when I looked closer I realized that I had bought closer to 60 films. I suspect that most of them are with the typical Russian dubbing - loud English voices under, and one middle aged Russian man reading all the parts in a monotone voice over, but I can deal with that I think.

I must say that Ukraine is a country which makes it difficult to be a law abiding citizen. When I went to buy films in Russian,it turned out that they had no original versions - they were all just copied. This meant that I got something like 50 films for 12 dollars, which makes for a lot of hours. I have absolutely no idea which films they are, only that they are translated from English, and that they are supposed to be dramas or comedies - no horror movies. I got my fill of those in Ukraine.

So: Still very bad at Russian, but even so I have made considerable progress over the last couple of months!
4 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5204 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 109 of 270
09 April 2012 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
Cristina, that is so awesome. I'm so happy for you.

In honor of your "still very bad Russian" - and moreso in honor of your "considerable progress" - I think you have inspired me to learn Russian. (Now, to learn how to read and write all over again!)

I love reading about your stories and your studies. You are a real inspiration. =)

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5951 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 110 of 270
09 April 2012 at 2:28am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
The third reason why I am high on Russian, is that I saw "The Little Mermaid" in Russian today, with no subtitles.

I approve. I don't think I have to tell you what movie is currently playing in the background...

Congratulations on all your hard work and progress!

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5204 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 111 of 270
09 April 2012 at 2:34am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
The third reason why I am high on Russian, is that I saw "The Little Mermaid" in Russian today, with no subtitles.

I approve. I don't think I have to tell you what movie is currently playing in the background...

Philip, you've watched the Little Mermaid in enough languages to make the Guinness Book of World Records, I think. =)

Tecktight
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
Joined 4785 days ago

227 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian
Studies: German, Russian, Estonian

Message 112 of 270
09 April 2012 at 3:31am | IP Logged 
Cristina, congratulations on your progress! I see your trip was an enormous success, as expected! ;)
Here I am sitting and eating watermelon, while you're jetting off to various parts of the world, showcasing your
silver tongue, which is kept sharp by your well-cultivated work ethic. A work ethic, I might add, that I'd like to steal.
Of course, that's not possible, but your log always guilt-trips me into work, a fact which I'm thankful for, and a fact
that makes your log invaluable to the forum...

I think your next destination should be Minsk, where you will no doubt succeed in charming the mustache off
Lukashenko. What do you think?

Edited by Tecktight on 09 April 2012 at 3:32am

This discussion contains 270 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version