Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
270 messages over 34 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20 ... 33 34 Next >>
ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5954 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 153 of 270
08 July 2012 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
I just watched the video and I have to say, your English is phenomenal! If I hadn't already known that you're not a native English speaker, I probably would have assumed that you were just from a different part of the English-speaking world. (Of course I already knew that your written English was great, but seeing you actually speak it brought it to a whole new level. :))
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5146 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 154 of 270
08 July 2012 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
I just watched the video and I have to say, your English is phenomenal! If I hadn't already known that you're not a native English speaker, I probably would have assumed that you were just from a different part of the English-speaking world. (Of course I already knew that your written English was great, but seeing you actually speak it brought it to a whole new level. :))

Thanks! My daughters keep saying that I have a weird accent (since they speak like they grew up in the US!), so I am very happy to hear that you did not think it was too bad.

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6595 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 155 of 270
08 July 2012 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
Christina, you must be one of the most fanatic learners around here and that's saying
something. :) When I read Philip's log in the past I thought he must be a little nuts
with all those languages, but it's terrific fun, isn't it? Mongolian too, huh.

Just curious (and I'm sure you've written that somewhere along the 20 pages) but what do
you count as study? For instance in Swedish and Danish do you do any study as such or is
it just about spending time in the language?

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5146 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 156 of 270
08 July 2012 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
numerodix wrote:
Christina, you must be one of the most fanatic learners around here and that's saying
something. :) When I read Philip's log in the past I thought he must be a little nuts
with all those languages, but it's terrific fun, isn't it? Mongolian too, huh.

Just curious (and I'm sure you've written that somewhere along the 20 pages) but what do
you count as study? For instance in Swedish and Danish do you do any study as such or is
it just about spending time in the language?

I have a fanatic personality :-) I am also into roses, and when I was on a rose trip to England with the Norwegian Rose Society, I soon discovered that I was more fanatic than any of the ones who had been around for years. I guess I just really focus on what I do.

Eh - studying in the case of Mongolian means "have bought the course and have just started to listen to the learning material". I can say exactly 0 words in Mongolian so far, and my ambition does not go beyond the tourist phrases. If there had been a separate dabbling category, that is where I would have put it :-)

I have only done 10 pages of Swedish and Danish at high school in the way of formal studying, but I have watched TV in Swedish for hours (or rather for years), listened a lot to Swedish music - used to sing Swedish songs - and read Swedish literature. Danish I have had considerably less exposure to, so I would be unable to say anything in Danish, but I have no problem understanding it. There are some words I do not understand, and it may take an hour or so to get used to the pronunciation, but after that I am fine.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 08 July 2012 at 4:54pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4519 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 157 of 270
08 July 2012 at 4:41pm | IP Logged 
I am sure your Swedish is not that bad. Probably better than my Swedish/Norwegian...Then
again, you say your German has deteriorated and I couldn't tell that was the case either.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5146 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 158 of 270
08 July 2012 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
I am sure your Swedish is not that bad. Probably better than my Swedish/Norwegian...Then
again, you say your German has deteriorated and I couldn't tell that was the case either.

I am not worried just because my Swedish is bad, but because I spoke about it like it was a piece of cake and then spoke it badly. If you are phenomenal, then you can allow yourself to say that there is no need to study something. I think I will simply have to plead insanity.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4519 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 159 of 270
08 July 2012 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
Or accept that your Swedish is better than you think, which is what *I* was getting at :D
. You see, you probably forget you go under the phenomenal category (and even if you
don't speak it phenomenally, you understand it phenomenally anyway!) I know it's a
question of modesty! But you probably have more right than most not to be modest, is the
point I was making.

Although there is that Jante law thing. Of course.

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6595 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 160 of 270
08 July 2012 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Although there is that Jante law thing. Of course.

You know about that? That's an embarrassing cultural artifact, we try not to let it get
out. :)

This discussion contains 270 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version