forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5036 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 257 of 270
30 November 2012 at 1:18pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
One of my life mottos is "Let not the best, be the enemy of the good"...

I know, and I often do. I hope you'll concede me the benefit of the doubt if I tell you that that's rarely my intention.

So many things could be enormously improved if we just put a tiny bit more to them -- Some (many?) times it's just too hard to spot beforehand the point where the gain vs effort/time curve becomes too steep.

Edited by mrwarper on 30 November 2012 at 1:20pm

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4517 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 258 of 270
30 November 2012 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid, this is why I say hi once every so often. But I usually do that if I go on a
streak and catch up with all the other member's logs. Or do you think my commentary has
not been adequate?

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5144 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 259 of 270
30 November 2012 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Solfrid, this is why I say hi once every so often. But I usually do that if I go on a
streak and catch up with all the other member's logs. Or do you think my commentary has
not been adequate?

Everything's fine! I sometimes do that myself, take a round and pop by the logs of the active members of our
team just to remind them that there is someone who looks out for them. The important thing is to see that
there is someone there for you. And just for the record I have had lots of great feed back both from members
of our team and from others. I was just a little worried now since it had been a while since last time. I guess I
am just spoiled :-)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5144 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 260 of 270
10 December 2012 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
Argh. Off to Paris and Brussels again. And I know it sounds infinitely spoiled to be complaining about that,
but when you go there for business reasons, and you have 4 days of excruciatingly boring meetings ahead
of you, and a head ache that has not let go for a week, it is no fun. The fact that I have been away so much
this year that I have hardly bothered to unpack my suitcase does not exactly help either. And I have
planned another trip the third week of January. Fortunately, that one is for pleasure, and I am travelling with
one of my favourite travelling companions - my youngest daughter.

I look forward to practising a bit of French - and a ton of English over the next 4 days though. With a bit of
luck I will even have a taste of my other languages. The Presidency is being taken over by a Russian, so I
am hoping that there will be some Russian floating around :-)

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4517 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 261 of 270
10 December 2012 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
Brussels in winter - I sympathise. Damp hole in the ground.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5144 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 262 of 270
10 December 2012 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
I love Brussels - besides it can't be worse than Oslo :-)

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4517 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 263 of 270
10 December 2012 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
I have a right to both hate and love Brussels with a passion. In a way, it was the best
thing that happened to me so far; and in another I have a right to hate it with every
fiber of my being because of how the story ended (it was not a happy ending). But one
thing I will say is that I have spent many cold (and warm) nights in Brussels during a
two-year period and that Brussels in winter is just a rainy damp wet squib of a place.
But that is the Low Countries for you. (Yes, it's a love story).

I also am not going back there unless I really have to - I still can't stand going back
there and I don't want to for a good while. It feels like that is a part of life that
needs to be "closed off" - il faut tourner la page

As a language enthusiast, there's no better city, though. As a gem of architecture and
culture, I suggest Bruges, Ghent or Antwerp. Bruges is magnificent.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5036 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 264 of 270
10 December 2012 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
Have you seen In Bruges? I couldn't think of a better place for sightseeing, nor worse for everything else -- or was it the other way around? ;)

Edited by mrwarper on 10 December 2012 at 5:09pm

This discussion contains 270 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version