270 messages over 34 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 25 ... 33 34 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 193 of 270
26 July 2012 at 7:52am | IP Logged 
I have a Nordic name, I can pass

Iceland is lovely. Did you see the cans of fresh air they sell?

1 person has voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4670 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 194 of 270
26 July 2012 at 8:53am | IP Logged 
Iceland! I envy you, no doubt.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5145 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 195 of 270
27 July 2012 at 8:46am | IP Logged 
@Serpent: I opted for the serious choice in the end, and am taking Russian. I would have broken into tears if
I had learned just enough Mandarin for it to block my Russian, so that I speak nothing of neither language.

@tarvos: No, no cans of fresh air have been spotted, but I bought some stones to put in your drink to keep it
cold without being diluted. They were called "on the rocks". My husband will go of up the wall when he
receives them as a gift, since buying rocks for a Norwegian is like buying sand for a Beduin.

@prz: As well you should. Iceland is like no other place I have ever been to.

DAY THREE IN ICELAND

Another fantastic day in Iceland. We went on a tour today, and saw some of the more stunning features here.
First we saw a crater, then two glorious water cascades, and then it was topped off by a geyser and the
oldest parliament known to man.

The krater and the cascades were all great, but being Norwegian we have a lot of cascades at home, but
what really was blood chillingly amazing was the geyser. I had seen it on film, but seeing it in the flesh was so
much more impressive. You stand next to what is basically a tiny pond, and then the water starts to move and
boil, and suddenly at 10 meter tall tower of water erupts before your eyes. There is no way I can describe
how out of this world that was.

We were a group of Norwegians, a Russian, two Chinese, three Scots, two Canadians, two Italians and two
Germans, so we were really a mixed lot, and we had a wonderful Icelandic guide. He knew no dates and very
little formal facts "read the signs when you get there" was his usual advice, but he was really candid when it
came to Icelandic society, and very frank by the the way Icelanders feel about the world.. He also told a lot of
jokes. In Iceland three trees is a forest, three houses is a village, and three people on the street is a riot...

The other tourist must have felt a bit left out, because I and my Norwegian friends were sitting up front talking
to him, and he would constantly use Norway as an example. Yay! Finally a country for whom Norway is a big
important power!

We had vivid discussion about what a forest was like ( they do not have many fthrees on the island) so
whenever he pointed to a few bushes and claimed it to be a forest we would protest. ( Do you know what to
do if you are lost in an Icelandic forest? First you sober up, and then you stand up...)

I have by the way fallen in love with Icelandic clouds. Now before you think I have been munching on some of
the mushrooms my forefathers were famous for digesting, I hasten to add, that the clouds on Iceland are
some of the the most varied and fascinating ones I have ever seen. I must have taken 500 pictures of
Icelandic mountains and clouds!

In the evening my cousin called me out and took me out to dinner, to a place which served "Icelandic tapas" ,
and boy, can these guys cook!!! In fact I have not had a meal I did not like so far. Love the place, It looks like
I will have to read up on Icelandic, by the way. My cousin wanted to stay in touch, but he said he was not
comfortable writing in English, he had always only spoken it.   Which leaves us with Icelandic :-) Now this
being me, I have of course said I am willing to try, so we'll see how far we'll get. I how by the way felt closer
to my mom being here. It is her cousin I set out to visit, and he spoke so nicely about her. I also found out
that she understood everything in Icelandic and Faroese. I asked if she spoke them too, but my cousin said
she spoke a mix of Norwegian and Icelandic, which was perfectly understandable, but which was not exactly
Icelandic. They did however not have to slow down when talking to her, so her passive understanding was
very high.

I would have loved to have a full week in Iceland, to explore the island better, and get to know the rest of my
relatives, but today our rose program starts. I have loved this so much so far, that I do not really care if they
do not have much roses here.

The only thing which is unimpressive is the hotel. We had asked for a standard room - which turned out to be
the size of a ship cabin. We then upgraded to superior room, which is like a normal, small double room. And I
will in the future put on my black list anyone who is involved in "design bathrooms". Design meaning
impractical and uncomfortable. I H A T E it! Those responsible for them should be condemned to a life
sentence using the bathrooms they have designed.

However with that very minor issue, I love everything else here. The people are really nice, everyone below
50 speak English very well, the nature is breath taking and the food is as I mentioned fantastic. Hurry up and
go, all those who can!

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 27 July 2012 at 10:43am

5 persons have voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5953 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 196 of 270
27 July 2012 at 9:35am | IP Logged 
It sounds like you're having a fabulous trip to Iceland! I've had a mild obsession with Iceland for the past eight years or so, and I'm glad that I can enjoy it vicariously through your posts!

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 197 of 270
27 July 2012 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
Golden circle? When I did that tour the guide spoke English and Scandinavian , ie adapted Danish. I could
follow that well as I remember although I needed the English to confirm.

Iceland is my fave country for a reason

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4867 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 198 of 270
27 July 2012 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
Very interesting log. I'm enjoying reading it.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5145 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 199 of 270
28 July 2012 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
Sometimes I hate the Internet. I just spent an entire hour updating my log, and the whole thing disappeared
into cyber space.

The short not anywhere near as funny version is that we had a hot day, had a great lunch, and saw a lot of
roses.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5145 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 200 of 270
28 July 2012 at 2:19am | IP Logged 
@ellasevia: try to visit, it is great!
@ tarvos: Yes, it was The Golden Circle, Loved it,
@ Mark: Thank you!

FOURTH DAY IN ICELAND

I'll make a new attempt for a medium length one. Today the rose convention started, and it was fun to see
everyone speaking their respective languages ( with the Finns speaking Swedish and the Icelandics
something which sounds like Norwegian. ) English is banned. no translators were used, and it worked like a
charm. I do not know if the Icelandics actually understood anything, but they did not complain.

It was also really hot today. Well, it was 17 degrees, but it was sunny, and the locals were sun bathing in the
parks. I almost joined them, but one fat, middle aged lady , white as a fish pudding due to this year's shitty
summer, might not get the Mrs. Attractive 2012 prize.

I got hold af a gardening book in Icelandic today. It weighs close to 4 kilos, but it alone would fill half the
reading requirements for half a Super Challenge in Icelandic. Which I am not going to do. No way. Not at all.
Not in a million years. Won,t happen.

Though just in case, I got Bridget Jones as an audio book, and the film Pirates of the Caribeeans 4. I also got
Game of Thrones, figuring it would be smart to have a series. It turned out to have subtitles in 14 languages.
Icelandic not being one of them...

We also had the most amazing lunch today. I asked how much I would have to pay to get the receipe. The
waiter
said it was free, but I would have to marry the chef. I am still thinking...

In general the food is so good it is almost freaking me out. Who would have thought that the best food ever
was to be found not in France, not in Italy, but in Iceland?

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 28 July 2012 at 2:22am

This discussion contains 270 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version