russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4526 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 201 of 270
28 July 2012 at 5:31am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
In general the food is so good it is almost freaking me out. Who would have thought that the best food ever was to be found not in France, not in Italy, but in Iceland?

Seems great, Cristina! What kind of food are we talking about? I'm getting curious! =)

Also, what are you thinking about the prices there? Not only for food, but in general.
1 person has voted this message useful

Tecktight
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
Joined 4787 days ago

227 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian
Studies: German, Russian, Estonian

Message 202 of 270
28 July 2012 at 9:32am | IP Logged 
Wow, Cristina, you're certainly having fun! I wasn't aware of the culinary sophistication of Iceland. Your travel log is
making me want to hop on a plane right now and fly straight there! I guess I'll just have to add Iceland to the list
and wait until my next holiday.

Would you mind posting a picture of the clouds? I'm interested in seeing a visual, since your description of them
enchanted me. I also have an affinity for clouds. They're sort of like nostalgia triggers, in a sense, and emotional
vessels...there are so many different variations, and the way certain light hits certain clouds invokes memories. Just
yesterday, as I was driving home around sunset, the sky was filled with what I call "adventure clouds" i.e. those
reddish sort of fluffy things that reflect the vastness of the sky and makes one want to fly.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 203 of 270
28 July 2012 at 9:47am | IP Logged 
Cristina, it really is a pity you don't get to explore the interior, because as fun as
Reykjavik is, the real splendour of Iceland lies in its nature and landscapes, which are
absolutely unique and marvellous. I don't mean the silly amounts of waterfalls (like you,
I have seen many of those in Canada and the United States) but the lava fields,
moonscapes, sulphur pots, etc.

I did a hiking trail through the interior of Iceland last year, through snow, glacial
rivers, sand fields, lava beds, and what Icelanders call forests (I call them shrubs) and
that, I think, with a backpack and shitty travel food, is probably the best way to
experience Iceland - on foot, relying only on yourself.

I did eat well in Iceland, but the menus they serve tend not to be my thing.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5367 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 204 of 270
28 July 2012 at 11:02am | IP Logged 
I've always wanted to visit Iceland, and after reading your posts, it's firmly on my to-do-and-bathe-in-the-blue-lagoon list now. It sounds like a wonderful place, Cristina, and there's of course always the bonus of learning some exotic sounding Icelandic too!

As irony would have it, I'll actually get to stop in Reykjavik for 2 hours in transit next month whilst on the way to New York *hooray*; but won't be able to leave the airport unfortunately *grumble, grumble, gnashing of teeth*...hopefully next time, eh.

And please do keep up these little diary accounts, they're great fun to read. It's the next best thing to being there. :)

Edited by Teango on 28 July 2012 at 11:05am

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4867 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 205 of 270
28 July 2012 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
What is the food you liked so much?

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5292 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 206 of 270
28 July 2012 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
I've always wanted to visit Iceland, and after reading your posts, it's firmly on my to-do-
and-bathe-in-the-blue-lagoon
list now. It sounds like a wonderful place, Cristina, and there's of course
always the bonus of learning some exotic sounding Icelandic too!

As irony would have it, I'll actually get to stop in Reykjavik for 2 hours in transit next month whilst on the way
to New York *hooray*; but won't be able to leave the airport unfortunately *grumble, grumble,
gnashing of teeth
*...hopefully next time, eh.

And please do keep up these little diary accounts, they're great fun to read. It's the next best thing to being
there. :)

Well at least you'll be in New York, although personally I'd prefer Iceland >.<. Why will you be in New York?

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 207 of 270
28 July 2012 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
I love your log. As it is growing quite fast, it took me some time to get back to it and
catch up, but it was more than worth it. Not only I enjoy reading this. I won't embarass
myself on the toilets, if I ever go to Russia, and I add Iceland on my "where will I go
one day" list, even though I will have trouble with the weather probably (so, I'll go in
the wither, not a big difference between freezing here or there :-) ). And the jokes
about Iceland are wonderful!

So, thanks and keep writing!

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5367 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 208 of 270
28 July 2012 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
ruskivyetr wrote:
Why will you be in New York?

I'm due to change planes in both Reykjavik and New York on my long flight over to Hawai'i, during which time I'll have the chance to spend 24 hours in the Big Apple and take in some of the amazing sights there too. I'm really looking forward to this leg of my journey, especially as it'll mark my first ever visit to the States. :)

Edited by Teango on 28 July 2012 at 11:56pm

This discussion contains 270 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version