United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4606 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 137 of 270
12 May 2012 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
I'm always so amazed and humbled that you are able to put so many hours with such a full
schedule. I always look forward to reading your posts.

I know this may sound silly, but who is Luca?
1 person has voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4524 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 138 of 270
12 May 2012 at 4:36am | IP Logged 
Woodsei wrote:
I know this may sound silly, but who is Luca?

Another fellow polyglot, or a hyperpolyglot as people would call here nowadays.

His 1st video speaking 8 languages

After that, I know that he's studied Chinese and is busy now with Japanese.

What a cool experience, Cristina! I'd have loved to join you guys! =)

Edited by fabriciocarraro on 12 May 2012 at 4:37am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 139 of 270
15 May 2012 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
@Woodsei: Thank you! I admit that between my visitor, preparing for both the birthday and our national holiday this week and the various challenges, I am just collapsing in bed every night right now.

@Fabriciocarraro: You would definitely have loved it! I enjoyed the experience immensely.

MAY 9TH-14TH (AND HALF 15TH TO 3)

I am having a visitor from the US right now, which makes it slightly less easy to focus on languages only, something which shows in my Russian hours, which are about half of what they were last week.

I am also preparing for my big birthday, which although it is technically not until the 24th, will be celebrated this Saturday. I did not have the energy to prepare anything, so I will celebrate it at a hotel, and have asked my best friends to organize the programme. I have given them free hands. My only limitiation was that I said that if there were to be any strip tease, I would not be doing it.

Otherwise it has been an extremely interesting week, in that I got to speak to both MultiMae and Torbyrne on Skype (and this time I even dared to speak to them in lousy German). It is actually quite fascinating to be speaking to people that you have only met through the internet, yet you have so much in common, because you share the same passion for languages. My only regret was that it was too short!

I am enjoying watching the films for the Super Challenge. After finishing the first book (which took me almost 40 hours) I was so exhausted, that the new book I have started, I have read the first three pages of four times, and that is it. It was a "tour de force" to read a whole book while working at the same time.

So, not a particularly brilliant week as far as Russian goes, but I guess I cannot expect to be outstanding every week. :-) Nice to pick up on my French though. In fact I was so tuned into the show I was watching, that I started to talk to my American friend in French the other night. Not a smashing success.

THIS WEEK

Russian 21.25 hours
French: 09.40 hours
English: 21.15 hours
Spanish 2 hours

TOTAL

FOCUS LANGUAGES

Russian: 345 h 20 min
German: 50 h 15 minutes       
French: 20 h 30 minutes

NON FOCUS LANGUAGES

English: 186 h 15
Spanish: 89 hours
Swedish/Danish 10 hours
Italian: 9 h 30 minutes
Mandarin: 7 h 10 minutes
Greek: 2h 10 min
Ukrainian: 1 hour
Arabic: 1 hour and 5 minutes
Icelandic:20 minutes

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5156 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 140 of 270
24 May 2012 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
@Solfrid Cristin

Sembra che oggi ti spetti di diritto una valanga di auguri! Intanto inizio io:

Buon compleanno!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 141 of 270
05 June 2012 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
@ Grazie, Emme, é veramente gentile della tua parte!

MAY 15TH TO JUNE 4TH

Iiiik! The time passes so rapidly I hardly have time to make an update, but since I am going to France tomorrow, I figured I'd make a quick one.

I have thouroughly celebrated my birthday - three times in fact, and I still have one to go. I had asked some of my best friends to organize the party for me, and I really got the party of my dreams. It was also one where languages were a big part of the arrangements. I had guests from Spain, Peru, South Africa, Germany, England and the US, and both English and Spanish were spoken at the party. I also received courses in Ukrainian, Mandarin and Mongolian as gifts, and DVDs and books in French.

My friends had organized a quiz about me, to see how much my friends actually knew about me,(including questions like "From how many countries has Cristina dated guys, how many countries has she been to and which languages is she fluent in") and I had lots of lovely speeches. My Peruvian friend who had never given a speech in her life, and much less in Norwegian, literally moved some of my friends to tears, as she gave a brilliant speech, in a somewhat halting Norwegian, and they all said so many nice things about me that I blushed.

And then as a surprise they brough a couple of professional dancers from Brazil and Iran, who danced Latin-American dances, and got everyone out on the dance floor dancing with them. Some of my guest who were wearing traditional Norwegian folk costumes were not really prepared for those sort of dances, but we all had a great time, I dd not get home until almost three in the morning.

At the end of the party, my daughter asked me "Mom, how did you get such good friends", and I answered "Well, I try to be a nice person" She said: "But I am also a nice person", and I said: "Yes, but you have not had 50 years to collect friends".

The friend in charge of the quiz told me the next day, that when asked what sort of activities I had participated in, some had suggested I had done horse riding, and competed in Latin American dancing competitions on a regional level. Given that I could not ride a horse to save my life, and have two left feet, that shows that not everyone knows me as well as I thought:-)

I have seen masses of French series over the last weeks, but I have not been able to do as much Russian as I had planned.

I did however have a great time with one of my Russian friends. I was invited over for dinner,and after sharing a bottle of wine, she and I and her husband felt like we had know eachother for years. I hd to ask them to speak English in stead of Russian after a while though, as it got way too fst for me. I got home at 1. 30, only to discover that one of my cats had puked all over the floor a few hours earlier, and my husband and daughter had decided that I was the lucky one who got to clean it up.

My friends think my domestic life is like "The Cosby Show", but on nights like that, it feels more like "Married with kids" meets "Everybody loves Raymond".

Ops. Giving a Russian speech to our Russian visitors in 9 hours, and going off to France tomorrow afternoon. No rest for the wicked.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 13 June 2012 at 6:17am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 142 of 270
13 June 2012 at 7:24am | IP Logged 
THIS MONTH MAY 15TH-JUNE 12TH

(I am giving the timeframe since the second last update, because that is when I last calculated my study hours)

The end of the 6wc is always hectic. I did not do as well as last time, I only came in 6th, on the other hand, last time I did so much that I got ill, so I guess this was a "healthier" 6wc in that respect.

I was in France last week, and a part from the meetings which were the reason for which I went, and which were pure liquid hell, I had a great time. The massive input I have had over the last month with several series in French, due to the Advanced Super Challenge, and the fact that I was reading a French book on the plane, had made my French skills take a mega jump forward, and I felt really comfortable speaking French immediately. Usually it takes me between half an hour and an hour to warm up, but this time I was comfortable right away, and I got compliments for my French from everyone I talked to! Major confidence boost, and I am just 1 month and a half into the 20 month challenge! I can't wait to see how it will be at New Year next year.

Also I held my carefully rehearsed speech in front of the Russian group which came to study the Norwegian Railway last week, and they were wildly enthusiastic. I do not think it is an every day occurrence for them to be greated in Russian when visiting a country in the West. Also my boss was really impressed - which always comes in handy :-) At lunch I got to speak a bit more with them, and since most of them were not willing to use their rudimentary English, I got to use my rudimentary Russian. Brilliant!

In Paris I decided to introduce myself to my Russian colleagues, and when I told them that I was learning Russian, they insisted on hearing me say something. I got so nervous that all I could say was the classical "My name is Crisina, I am Norwegian, and I am learning Russian, but it is very difficult". They claimed that my accent was almost native, which I took to mean that my grammar was all messed up :-)

Anyhow the next president of that association is likely to be Russain, so my Russian studies may come in even more handy than I though.

I have hit the 400 hours mark in studying Russian, wich I am very happy about. I am a bit unhappy about the fact that I am so slow in learning, and that I need to listen to the same Pimsleur or Michel Thomas episodes 20 times over, but that is just life.

I have now also listened through all 3 levels of Pimsleur Russian. I have not learned everything, so I will repeat them more times, but I have at least gone through it all once. The funny thing is that last year, when I heard of someone who had gone through all three levels, I was so impressed, but of course now I know how little I still know after having been through them. I though you would be a least at a a B2 level, where I am more at a A2 level. Anyway, I am happy to have gone through it all!

Oh! And I am going on the Transsiberian in September!!! My sister and I ordered the trip yesterday. I am so excited about that. It means that I will have to add Mandarin and Mongolian to the list of languages that I study, but hey, those should be easy enough, right? :-)

Russian 64h 50 m
French: 44h 25m
English: 33h 30 min
Spanish 6 h 45 m
German : 1h 40 m
Ukrainian: 25 min

TOTAL

FOCUS LANGUAGES

Russian: 400 h 10 min
German: 51 h 45 minutes       
French: 64 h 55 minutes

NON FOCUS LANGUAGES

English: 219 hours 45 minutes
Spanish: 95 hours 45 minutes
Swedish/Danish 10 hours
Italian: 9 h 30 minutes
Mandarin: 7 h 10 minutes
Greek: 2h 10 min
Ukrainian: 1 hour
Arabic: 1 hour and 5 minutes
Icelandic:20 minutes

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 13 June 2012 at 7:32am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5365 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 143 of 270
13 June 2012 at 10:49am | IP Logged 
Congratulations on a very healthy score in the 6WC and also finally booking those tickets for the Trans-Siberian!! Which train did you decide on, and will you be stopping over anywhere along the way? I'm already really excited for you both and wish I were going too. :)

Edited by Teango on 13 June 2012 at 10:50am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 144 of 270
13 June 2012 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
Congratulations on a very healthy score in the 6WC and also finally booking those tickets for the Trans-Siberian!! Which train did you decide on, and will you be stopping over anywhere along the way? I'm already really excited for you both and wish I were going too. :)

Thanks! We are starting out from Moscow where we will get one day sighseeing with the Red square among other things, will make a two days' stopover in Ulanbataar, passing the night in a traditional Mongolian ger and on arrival in Bejing we are continuing by night train to Xian to see the terracotta warriors, then fly back to Bejing and hopefully squeeze inn a bit of sightseeing before we go back home. My sister wants to see The Forbidden City.

This discussion contains 270 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version