Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 129 of 270
28 April 2012 at 1:10am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
That's a lot of drama for one blog post...

Quote:
but like my mother in law says: “Feelings are not right or wrong, they are just there"

I agree with this.

Now I told you it would contain all the melodrama of a Latin American telenovela, didn't I. I always keep my word :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5204 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 130 of 270
28 April 2012 at 2:07am | IP Logged 
Quote:
but like my mother in law says: “Feelings are not right or wrong, they are just there"

And the thing about feelings is that you have to feel them. Or you risk letting them eat you up.

EDIT:

Quote:
Now I told you it would contain all the melodrama of a Latin American telenovela, didn't I. I always keep my word :-)

I've never seen one, but now I know what to expect!

Cristina, it sounds like you have a LOT of people who love you. Try to focus on that instead of the <beep> who wants to make everyone's life miserable! She is not worth your energy. [Of course, I know that is far easier said than done!]

Edited by Kerrie on 28 April 2012 at 2:13am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 131 of 270
29 April 2012 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
@ Kerrie: Yes I do focus on the positive, and I do have a lot of really nice friends there!

A New Mandarin day!

Or actually two, but the only thing I did yesterday was to read an article about Mandarin.

Today, however,
- I spent 1 hour 10 minutes on memrise.com - attempting to learn characters. No flowers in my garden so far though.
- I listened to Pimsleur lesson 1 twice, and lesson 2 twice. Don't know any of it yet, but I am starting to really like the language. Particularly the grammar :-) (2 hours)

I also like that they call the US "The beautiful country" - what a lovely way to name another country!

I have also spoken Russian with a real Russian today! My friend Nadia came over, and we talked for about half an hour in Russian - she pointed out that today I had a Spanish accent in my Russian a couple of times, but I guess that with the massive input I have been having with Spanish lately that was only to be expected.

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4606 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 132 of 270
30 April 2012 at 10:26am | IP Logged 
I can see where your story starts getting painful, Christina. It hurts a lot when people
you've had connections with at some point in your life suddenly stray....marriage,
illness, you name it. It really hurts. Your friend's wife apparently has some trust
issues, or she wouldn't be throwing tantrums! And your other friend...I've been through
watching close friends become paranoid, so...suffice to say, I know exactly how you feel.
Your story really struck a cord with me. But it's equally true that a lot of people
really love you, Christina! Take lots of comfort in that.

A huge hug from across the pond. You know you're an awesome person, so keep doing what
you do best!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 133 of 270
30 April 2012 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
@ Woodsei: Yes, It was quite painful, but it was also lovely to see everyone. Thanks for the hug!

28TH TO 30 OF APRIL

I have not really done much since my last update, but to start with a clean sheet I'll make an update today anyway, so that the next update starts with the challenges.

I had intended to do lots of Mandarin today, but I ended up spending most of my day on the forum. Well, well. It all starts at midnight!

FOCUS LANGUAGES

Russian: 30 minutes

NON FOCUS LANGUAGES

Mandarin: 3.10 minutes

AND THE TOTAL OF THIS YEAR SO FAR:

FOCUS LANGUAGES

Russian: 277 h 35 min
German: 50 h 15 minutes       
Greek: 2h 10 min

NON FOCUS LANGUAGES

English: 150 h
Spanish: 85 h 10 min
Swedish/Danish 10 hours
Italian: 8h 30 minutes
Mandarin: 7 h 10 minutes
Ukrainian: 1 hour
Arabic: 1 hour and 5 minutes
French: 40 minutes
Icelandic:20 minutes

Swift
Ireland
Joined 4417 days ago

137 posts - 191 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Russian

Message 134 of 270
01 May 2012 at 12:50am | IP Logged 
Hello Solfrid. Very interesting log you've got going here! At least, what I've read of
it: there is quite a lot!

I've been on the forum for a few weeks now, and I've noticed that you're quite active
here. I'd just like to say well done; learning languages with dyslexia seems like a
real accomplishment. Considering beginning a language requires the use of books (in my
experience), it must be difficult for you. Do you use any special methods to help you?

I guess it is a bit silly, but I'd like to say that you are somewhat of an idol for me.
I know you aren't the only one here, but being able to speak that many languages is
really cool.

Right now I am learning French and really enjoying it. I don't want to get ahead of
myself, though. I have only been doing self-study for around 3 months (after around 3
years of the language at school). Still, if I keep enjoying languages like I am now,
I'd like to learn a lot more. I am doing only French because I think it is important to
concentrate solely on it, considering it is my first foreign language. I also have some
fairly ambitious goals.

Good luck with your Russian studies, in any case! I hope to learn it as well, one day.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 135 of 270
01 May 2012 at 1:57am | IP Logged 
Thank you! In a sense I am lucky, in that until I started learning Russian my dyslexia was only a problem in regard to my writing. Languages which use the Latin alphabet is a piece of cake for me when it comes to reading. I am a walking disaster when it comes to spelling, though. With Russian I am struggling very hard though, and sometimes feel that I cannot read at all.

Otherwise there are many polyglots who are far better than me, both when it comes to amount of languages and depth of knowledge, but I am happy that you like my writing.

It sounds sensible to focus on one language, French is a handful, and it seems wise to do that language only. Good luck, and let me know when you are ready for your studies in Russian. By that time I hope to be able to give you lots of advice!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 136 of 270
09 May 2012 at 10:54am | IP Logged 
1-8 MAY

This has been - an incredibly intense week. I have been reading Russian like a woman posessed, I have been out fighting like a lioness for Norway's points of view at the International Railway Organisation in Paris, I have started on the 6 week challenge in Russian, the Super Challenge in Russian and the Advanced Super Challenge in French. And I have met Luca. The Luca.

I'll start with the best part, which was meeting Luca. I had seen on Twitter that he was talking about The Polyglot bar having multilingual meetings on Thursdays, and I said that it was a pity that it was not on Wednesdays, as I was coming to Paris on a Wednesday really soon, and he was kind enough to suggest that we meet there anyway.

So before I knew it we were talking Spanish, French, Swedish/Norwegian and English and he even managed to draw out my rusty Italian. I am still mad at myself for chickening out in German. I talked a bit German to a friend of his, but I didn't dear to speak to him in German.

He was incredibly nice and friendly, and we had a great time. I was trying my very best not to come across like a teenager who has just met her rock star idol, and we talked about languages, polyglots and learning strategies.

And he said Russian was his favourite language!! Half way through the evening a French friend of his sat down with us, who immediately became my new best friend since she asked if I were French :-) Ok. So it was after one sentence only - as usual - and she would never have asked had she listened to a full 30 seconds, but she did ask!

Then a Chinese friend of his came over, and started talking Mandarin with him. Now obviously I was unable to follow that part of the conversation, but the guy said Luca's Mandarin was fantastic, and since he had a fantastic accent and fluidity in all the other languages we spoke, I am quite willing to believe that. Then what appeared to be an unknown Frenchman with an incredibly bad accent, wanted to know if we were speaking English, and since we at that particular point in the conversation were, he sat down and spoke English with us. The barman was a very unfrench Frenchman, and very nice and positive, so all in all I had a great evening.

Then for the next couple of days it was almost all work and no play, but for once I had the time to go and get some American series dubbed into French. At the moment I am pining my way through (Beverly Hills) 90201 (sooo not my choice) and waiting for the crime series that I bought as well. I also got hold of the new Assimil Ukrainian and a couple of Chinese character books, so all in all I was quite happy about my trip. The least part not being that I got hours and hours of Russian reading practise at the airport and on the flight.

Otherwise I am basking in the glory of being ahead in the 6 week challenge, particularly because I know it won't last. On Saturday I am having an American house guest for a couple of weeks, and I will speak lots of English, but I doubt that I get to do all that much Russian. I guess I could fake a head ache and go and read in my room :-)

I am not doing too well in the Super Challenge, because I wanted to have at least one more book under my belt as soon as possible. Now this works out great for the 6 WC since they count hours, but it's a disaster for the Super Challenge, who counts actual finished books. Now I could kick myself for not saying that every 100 pages is a book, because then I would have read almost 3 books already, but I am comforting myself that I will learn so much more than those who do smaller books. I am also comforting myself with the thought that even if I don't do that great in the beginning, my unsurpassable persistance and perserverance will get me to a good result in the end. I suspect a lot of participants will fall off the wagon pretty soon, but I am looking forward to crossing the finishing line on New Year's Eve 2013 with as many as possible.

So with the Advanced Super Challenge I am moving Greek into the non-focus language section, and French into the focus language section. I have done next to nothing in either language so far, but now that I am really working on my French, it makes sense to make it a focus language. You do not get much more focus than an Advanced Super Challenge...

THIS WEEK

Russian 46.20 hours
French: 10.10 hours
English: 15 hours
Spanish 1.50 hours
Italian: 1 hour

TOTAL

FOCUS LANGUAGES

Russian: 323 h 55 min
German: 50 h 15 minutes       
French: 10 h 50 minutes

NON FOCUS LANGUAGES

English: 165 h
Spanish: 87 hours
Swedish/Danish 10 hours
Italian: 9 h 30 minutes
Mandarin: 7 h 10 minutes
Greek: 2h 10 min
Ukrainian: 1 hour
Arabic: 1 hour and 5 minutes
Icelandic:20 minutes

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 09 May 2012 at 12:37pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 270 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version