Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4524 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 249 of 270
29 November 2012 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
I always read them, but as sometimes I'm at work it's easier to read than write an answer.

Anyway, we're all proud of you Cristina! =)
1 person has voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5158 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 250 of 270
29 November 2012 at 9:21pm | IP Logged 
I have also read all of your posts and found them all very interesting, especially the Russia, Mongolia, China trip which was an eye opener for me.

I'm sure there are many people like me, who loved the posts but just didn't have any words of wisdom to add to them.
2 persons have voted this message useful

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5641 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 251 of 270
30 November 2012 at 1:06am | IP Logged 
I've enjoyed reading about your travels, Cristina, especially the Transsiberian trip. I love Prague. In my experience when speaking to Czechs, they prefer to see themselves as Central Europeans. Some get quite offended if you call them East Europeans. Don't know whether the Czechs on this forum would agree.

Gosiak
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4935 days ago

241 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Norwegian, Welsh

Message 252 of 270
30 November 2012 at 2:42am | IP Logged 
I realy enjoy reading about your trips and although Russian is not on my target list I follow your log with great interest and admiration for all the time you devote to your passion.

Stelingo, I can not answer on behalf of Czechs but I myself feel slightly offended when I'm called East European and try to promote the term Central Europe. For me it is about drawing a sharp line between Russia and it's former 'slave' countries.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 253 of 270
30 November 2012 at 10:33am | IP Logged 
I hope I did not come across as whiny, I was just a bit concerned that I was writing for the empty space here, and that noone at all was reading what I wrote, something which would be a tad discuoraging, considering how much time I spend on keeping up my log. :-)

@Tarvos: A hello now and then is fine. I have tried to stop by your log to at least see what you are up to, and I made the reflection that considering the quality of your posts, you deserve way more comments!

@ellasevia: I am happy to hear that!

@Josquin: Both Budapest and Saint Petersburg are lovely as well, I am sure you would enjoy them.

@Fabriciocarrero: Thanks!

@hribecek: I don't need words of wisdom (though they are most welcome). It is just nice to know that anyone out there actually reads what you write.

@Stilingo: I am happy you liked my writings from the Trans Siberian trip. And I would not like to offend anyone, but I grew up with everything behind the Iron Curtain being Eastern Europe, and it is going to be very hard to get that out of my head. Central Europe for me would be France and Germany.

@Gosiak: Glad you enjoy my log, and I am sorry if you feel offended by my use of Eastern Europe. Not easy to teach old dogs new tricks I am afraid :-)

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 30 November 2012 at 12:05pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4516 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 254 of 270
30 November 2012 at 12:04pm | IP Logged 
Hahaha, tack, Cristina!

Like I already said, I occasionally pop in some of our team members logs (particularly
the more active ones) but I don't want the logs to degenerate into 1-on-1 in-jokes so I
post when I feel I have something relevant to add (like when you went to Iceland) or
when you make a big progress update or something. Otherwise, I simply read them. I
rather have something to say. Although that hasn't stopped me from talking the ears off
all of my teachers in the past!!!

And regarding more comments: I am studying Breton, and I think I am the only actively
doing so on the forum, so yeah. I can't fault people for not commenting on something
obscure that they don't know a lot about. :)

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5035 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 255 of 270
30 November 2012 at 12:42pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Well, one of the main points of participating in the TAC is to get encouragement, comments and good advice. I am happy to receive either :-)

:-)

tarvos wrote:
I read them, but I haven't got much to add to some of it. But people don't respond to many of my log posts either.

@Tarvos I'm sorry, but I feel my posting at your log doesn't make sense any more. You shouldn't need me to tell you that what you've been doing language-wise approaches the impressive. You're apparently doing pretty good without my encouragement as well, and I haven't made any worthy advances myself in any of the languages we share, so what else could I say when I stop by to read your posts? I know I'm probably wrong because many people seem to appreciate them, but I'd feel quite dumb posting what, to me, would be useless one-liners or personal jokes on a public forum.

From your latest post here I think you'll agree to some extent (I was writing all of this when you sent it).

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I hope I did not come across as whiny, I was just a bit concerned that I was writing for the empty space here, and that no one at all was reading what I wrote, something which would be a tad discouraging, considering how much time I spend on keeping up my log. :-)

@Tarvos: A hello now and then is fine...

Oh, you did and now it's a bit too late to weasel out of it (just kidding :) -- OK, seriously, I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts (even if they sometimes sit for days in my browser waiting for the time when I can give them a proper reading -- you can only expect it takes me more to comment), but I don't agree that a simple hello now and then is fine. Do you want good replies or quick ones? ;)

I can relate to what you say about 'writing for the empty space' because that's how I feel WRT email these days. Email, I think, is the perfect way for asynchronous, personal contact with people who are far far away: you're not seeing each other anyway, so there's plenty of time to read letters, take time to think and answer..., you get the idea. To me these Dilbert strips reflect some of my problems with it quite well: Overly brief, and do what? quote!. An overly brief reply to any 'business' stuff is of course OK, but to 'personal' things? To me that means "I'll never bother to give you a proper response", something "somewhat" incompatible with the idea of mutual friendship (are there other kinds?), keeping in touch (that is, for real), etc.

So, I am a person of few words, and I prefer them to be meaningful. I'm sorry if it makes y'all feel a bit lonely that I have to wait a week to have the time to read, and give what I would call a 'proper' answer, because I'd sure feel even worse saying hello to make it look like I'm paying attention, then going for the next thing. And, you got it, if I have to choose, I prefer being the one that feels good ;)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 256 of 270
30 November 2012 at 12:58pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
[QUOTE=Solfrid Cristin] Do you want good replies or quick ones? ;)

So, I am a person of few words, and I prefer them to be meaningful. I'm sorry if it makes y'all feel a bit lonely that I have to wait a week to have the time to read, and give what I would call a 'proper' answer, because I'd sure feel even worse saying hello to make it look like I'm paying attention, then going for the next thing. And, you got it, if I have to choose, I prefer being the one that feels good ;)

One of my life mottos is "Let not the best, be the enemy of the good", which means that in the context of the TAC I would rather have a sentence of encouragement now and then, than the perfect well thought out answer once a year. Not that I do not like the latter, I do, it's just that we are all busy, and we cannot always write the long answers to other people's posts that we would like to. Since I am in the same position, I try to pop by now and then even if it is just to say "I see you, you are doing great" instead of half a page of well written, funny and insightful comments that I would have loved to do - but do not have time to write.

This discussion contains 270 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version