Joined 4426 days ago

37 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 18 of 656
23 April 2012 at 1:35am | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: Spanish

CHALLENGE: Full

CURRENT LEVEL: Sub A1, I've only been at this for less than a month, with only 22 hours

COMMENTS: I'll be honest, the books that I'll be reading are going to be children's
books at first, but I'm going to count every 100 pages of text as one book, I don't
know how else to count them. Frankly my reading ability isn't much, and I fully expect
the children's books to be difficult to begin with. I do have 'Spanish for Reading' so
hopefully I'll progress fast to a more respectful level!

My library has the complete Harry Potter series in Spanish, and I fully intend to read
them all one day. I've also found Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and a few others that
I won't mind reading. I just need to hit that level.
1 person has voted this message useful

GRagazzo
Diglot
United States
Joined 4758 days ago

115 posts - 168 votes 
Speaks: Italian, English*
Studies: Spanish, Swedish, French

Message 19 of 656
23 April 2012 at 2:04am | IP Logged 
Language: Italian
Challenge:half
Current level: somewhere between B1/B2
Comments: can't wait!

fiziwig
United States
Joined 4662 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 20 of 656
23 April 2012 at 2:09am | IP Logged 

CHALLENGE: Full 100 + 100

LEVEL: I don't know.

COMMENTS: for level, I've been studying for about a year and I guess I'm somewhere around low intermediate. I'm pretty good at reading, as long as I have a dictionary handy, I can understand maybe 25%-50% of spoken Spanish, but I'm not able to converse at all beyond parroting some memorized phrase book sentences.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7002 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 21 of 656
23 April 2012 at 3:00am | IP Logged 

CHALLENGE: Super Duper

CURRENT LEVEL: Solid B1 I guess. The CEFR wikipedia web page says that's like the FSI 2+ level, which seems reasonable. I've not been tested and don't plan to be.

COMMENTS:
SPEAKING: I have not been practicing conversation for some time, but hope to find someone to talk to (The Duper part of the challenge).

READING: A self-help book like http://www.amazon.com/Los-pasos-para-feliz-preocupaciones/dp /0307276570/ is pretty comprehensible. I've been SRSing the unknown words from it and that probably averages about 1 or 2 per page. Cien años de soledad is very challenging as are novels with older language. Caballo de Troya has a lot of unknown words, but I can get the gist of it pretty well it seems. Don't know if it's my cup of tea though. I've read about 35 pages into it. (I know the challenge hasn't started yet).

LISTENING: Skills vary with source. Some educational TV is pretty comprehensible. A program like "perfiles" with non-professional speakers or a "Jerry Springer" like show is challenging to get what they actually are saying. Understanding in general which could be done with the sound off or by someone who just hears the inflections is of course there. That sort of show doesn't really interest me though, although it would be nice to be able to understand most of the things on TV. News depends on the source. Democracynow.org has a very fast speaker. With transcript and multiple listenings I can get a good idea of what they are talking about, especially if I read the English ;)

WRITING: Is not part of the challenge, but tracking my progress in written Spanish with help from http://lang-8.com would be wise.

GOALS:
READING: I'd really like to be able to read most things by Gabriel Garcia Marquez and other top authors with good comprehension and enjoyment.

LISTENING: Understand educational TV, interviews, news, etc very well.

SPEAKING: Be able to speak my mind to a friendly listener with ease and correctness.

WRITING: Not so challenging for Spanish, but I'd like to write naturally and correctly.

On the CEFR scale, I'd like to be a solid C1 by the time the challenge completes.

LOG May 6, 2012:
I'm sure I will need to note this somewhere else later, but for now:
Children's Books:
One about Preita y Joaquin.
¡Gol de Federico!
¡No te rindas, Josefina!
¡Qué desastre!
¿Dónde está el oso? (read about 10 times - pictures and animals)
El Principito

Audiobooks:
El Principito - counts as 1 movie.

Counts:
2 books
1 movie

Actual
5 children's books
1 book.
1 audiobook.

For what it's worth, I'm reading more challenging stuff as well (Cien años de soledad), but will put those counts in as they are completed. Children's books have some new vocabulary, are pleasant to read, and get me on the scoreboard so I don't become overwhelmed and quit the task as "impossible".

Log 5/8/12
1 more children's book. El nino sin nombre.
Audiobook - La Casa de Mango Street.

Counts:
2 books
2 movies

Actual
6 children's books
1 regular book.
2 audiobooks.

Log 5/14/12
Listened to 12 hours of 100 Years of Solitude. = 8 movies

Counts:
2 books
10 movies

Actual
6 children's books
1 regular book.
3 audiobooks.

Log 5/14/12
Listened to 6 hours of 100 Years of Solitude. = 4 movies
Watched episode of Redes and HBO Latino = 1 movie.

Counts:
2 books
15 movies

Actual
6 children's books
1 regular book.
3 audiobooks.
1 "movie"

6/16/12
I've been averaging about 4.5 hours of podcasts or audiobooks per week.

Edited by luke on 17 June 2012 at 2:17am

microsnout
TAC 2010 Winner
Canada
microsnout.wordpress
Joined 5268 days ago

277 posts - 553 votes 
Studies: French

Message 22 of 656
23 April 2012 at 3:07am | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: French

CHALLENGE: Full 100 + 100 + 1000

LEVEL: B1/B2 (no recent evaluation)

COMMENTS: 100 films, 100 books and 1000 hours of audio listening practice. I would like to watch 100 different
movies but usually watch movies multiple times so I will consider repeated watching as just listening practice along
with podcasts and other audio sources.

silverpolyglot
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
silverchallanges.wor
Joined 4711 days ago

42 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, Somali
Studies: French, Swedish, Mandarin

Message 23 of 656
23 April 2012 at 3:14am | IP Logged 
LANGUAGES: Swedish and French

CHALLENGE: Full Challenge for French (100/100), Half Challenge (50/50) for Swedish.

CURRENT LEVEL: A1 in French, Below A1 in Swedish.

COMMENTS: I'm excited to start!!

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5329 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 24 of 656
23 April 2012 at 4:00am | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: French

CHALLENGE: SUPER DUPER, but I'll personally count books as a success if I reach 25 or

CURRENT LEVEL: B1, according to a DELF tutor. Optimistically aiming for DELF B2 by mid-
June.

COMMENTS:

- Films: I plan to start with season 2 and 3 of Engrenages, and the French
version of Buffy. Maybe some Caillou with the kids, too, plus some
podcasts and Internet news radio. French audio, French subtitles as needed.

- Books: My personal goal here is actually 25 or 50 books, depending on difficulty, but
I don't want to mess up Solfrid's bookkeeping with any 62.5% nonsense. ;-) I tend to
pick hard books, and I want this part of the challenge to be a fun stretch, not a grim
duty that eats my life.

- Conversation: I speak French at home, so there's no point in tracking the hours.
We'll reach 100 hours in a month or two.

Before the end of the challenge, I would like to be able to pass either DELF B2 or DALF
C1.

Thank you to Solfrid for organizing this Super Challenge!

This discussion contains 656 messages over 82 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version