9. 齋藤孝のゼッタイこれだけ!名作教室 小学1年上 読解力がグングンのびる!
10. Manga: Hikaru no Go Vol 1, Major Vols 17 & 18

FRENCH FILMS (12/50):

9. Petits meurtres en famille episode 2
10. Petits meurtres en famille episode 3
11. Petits meurtres en famille episode 4
12. CSI - 2 episodes of the three episode crossover

FRENCH BOOKS (10.2/50):
3. L'Heure Du Crime + Arsene Lupin contre Herlock Sholmes + Meurtre dans un jardin francais (3 CLE easy readers)
4. Pietr le Letton
5. La Francophonie (CLE Reader) + L'homme qui rit (BD) + La bête humaine (CLE Reader)
6. Le Charretier de La Providence

GENERAL

The stand out film in the Japanese side is Letters from Iwo Jima - this was directed by Clint Eastwood and American made, but is almost entirely in Japanese (when the American characters speak it's in English). I watched without subtitles, and so didn't get a huge amount, but thought it was really good. Not normally a big fan of war movies, but this seemed to be a very balanced portrayal.

On the French side, Les petits meurtres en famille was really good and a satisfying story. I was confused about which Agatha Christie it was based on, so thought right up to the end that the wrong person had done it. Lots if nice sub plots in here too as the had plenty of time for it.

I'm struggling with the Japanese reading, so will probably go back to manga for a bit to get some confidence back.
1 person has voted this message useful

wv girl
Diglot
United States
Joined 5036 days ago

174 posts - 330 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 554 of 656
01 September 2012 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
Well, I have a confession to make ... while searching for something in Spanish on Netflix, I couldn't help but
watch Anthony Zimmer in French! Sometimes it"s such a relief to listen to something easily, to be able to
understand, to not have to follow subtitles. As if to punish me for slipping away from my Spanish challenge, the
film froze up with 20 minutes left & expired on Netflix September 1. Had to look up the end this morning
online.    

8. Amador: Rather strange film set in Spain about a young woman caring for an old man. She needs the money
badly, so when he dies, what's a girl to do? She continues to show up at his apartment every day as usual, of
course! The language was easier to follow, didn't need to look at subtitles all the time, so that's progress.

9. No Eres Tu, Soy Yo. Comedy about a man whose life falls apart when his new bride leaves him. Any bit of
slang throws me off, as does anything having to do with sex (those 2 things are NEVER included in textbooks!),
but I got a lot without subtitles, so I feel there's improvement.

So after 4 months:

Peliculas 9/50 18%
Libros 7/50    14%

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5192 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 555 of 656
01 September 2012 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 
Okay, this is what I got done in August.

Spanish - 19%
Movies
20. F*cking Åmål / Show me Love
21. The Milk of Sorrow / La teta asustada
22. The Orphanage / El Orfanato
23. Altiplano (High Plain)
24. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 1
25. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 2
26. XXY
27. The DaVinci Code / El Codigo DaVinci

Writing
18. Assimil transcription (100 words)

French - 23%
Movies
22. Forbidden Games / Jeux interdits
23. Intouchables / The Intouchables

Writing
38-46. Assimil transcription (1800 words)

Italian - 17%
Movies

9. The Lion King / Il Re Leone
10. The Lion King / Il Re Leone
11. Life is Beautiful / La Vita è Bella
12. The Little Mermaid / La Sirenetta
13. Il Grido Antonioni 1957
14. Peter Pan
15. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
16. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
17. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
18. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
19. Fists in the Pocket / I pugni in tasca
20. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
21. Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince
22. Il Postino / The Postman
23. Suspiria
24. Io Non Ho Paura / I'm not Scared
25. La sconosciuta / The Unknown Woman
26. Non ti muovere / Don't Move
27. Nuovo Cinema Paradiso / Cinema Paradiso
28. The Son's Room / La stanza del figlio

Writing

13-18. Assimil transcription (1200 words)

German - 4%
Movies
2. Nirgendwo in Afrika / Nowhere in Africa

Bosnian/Croatian - 10%
Movies
8.   No Man's Land (Nicija zemlja)
9.   Shrek 1, Croatian audio, Eng subs

Brazilian Portuguese - 2%
Movies
1. Harry Potter e a Pedra Filosofal

Turkish - 3%
Movies

1-3. Sensiz Olmaz, Episode 1-3

On one hand, I didn't get as much studying done as I would have liked. The kids have been off of school for 12 weeks (summer break), and between children and work, I just have not had the mental energy the last two weeks to get a lot done. They are going back to school in a few days, though, and I expect I will be back into a routine, primarily with Assimil, for French, Spanish, Italian, German, and Croatian. I have a lighter workload than normal for September, and I want to maximize the extra time I have available.

Even though I didn't get as much studying done as I'd have liked, it was still a relatively successful month. I watched a lot of really great movies. If anyone is looking for movie ideas, feel free to check out my On Deck page. All of the movies I've watched are listed on there, as well as movies I want to see. There are IMDb links to all the movies as well. There's also a link to that page from my Super Challenge page, which is listed under my name on my posts. I will be posting some reviews as well on my TAC log as well.

I have been very pleasantly surprised by how many really great foreign movies there are out there. Every time I find one really great movie, I go look it up on the IMDb and find five more to check out. It has been a lot of fun. :D

Tsopivo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4268 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Esperanto

Message 556 of 656
02 September 2012 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
I pressured my boyfriend into doing the Half Super Challenge in French. I'll do his logs for him.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5131 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 557 of 656
02 September 2012 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
I will be away for almost 3 weeks, and I am afraid that I will have to wait making the changes in challenges until then. Since we have the bot that should not be a problem, you just register, unregister and reregister on the bot, and I'll just make the changes of the list of participants when I come home.

I see however that Kerrie and Marina are heading the list, and send my congratulations to them and to everyone else who is still hanging in there!

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4625 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 558 of 656
02 September 2012 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
@Kerrie: Sorry to interrupt here, but couldn't help noticing you watched "Jeux
Interdits". A lovely, bitter-sweet film. I first saw it back in the early 70s, at a
screening at a French cultural centre not far from here. I think I then watched it
again (
probably on VHS) some years later, and was intrigued that the ending was slightly
different from what I remembered.

Much more recently, I tried to find it on DVD but couldn't. (I haven't tried that hard,
to be honest). However, via the modern wonders of Youtube, I gathered that the director
had in fact shot two endings!   (one slightly happier than the other. I'm not going to
give any spoilers here, obviously).

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5192 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 559 of 656
02 September 2012 at 10:10pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
@Kerrie: Sorry to interrupt here, but couldn't help noticing you watched "Jeux Interdits". A lovely, bitter-sweet film. I first saw it back in the early 70s, at a screening at a French cultural centre not far from here. I think I then watched it again (probably on VHS) some years later, and was intrigued that the ending was slightly different from what I remembered.

Yes, it was a lovely film. It's really interesting to see how young kids perceive adult issues. (My twins were three when their dad died, so it the movie was especially poignant for me.)

Yes, there are two endings. I saw that when I looked up a little more information on the movie. I was wondering what the other ending was - I hadn't thought to check youtube. I'll have to do that. Although I saw the happier ending, so maybe I shouldn't!

montmorency wrote:
Much more recently, I tried to find it on DVD but couldn't. (I haven't tried that hard, to be honest). However, via the modern wonders of Youtube, I gathered that the director had in fact shot two endings!   (one slightly happier than the other. I'm not going to give any spoilers here, obviously).

It's on Amazon (US & UK). I haven't purchased most of the movies I've been watching the Super Challenge, but I have a list of the ones I've seen that I would like to own. This is definitely one of them.
2 persons have voted this message useful

wv girl
Diglot
United States
Joined 5036 days ago

174 posts - 330 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 560 of 656
03 September 2012 at 3:27pm | IP Logged 
Finished Cajas de carton. A good book for an intermediate level reader. Still some challenging, useful
vocabulary, but not so much that a dictionary is needed at all times.

total pages 834! 8/50 16%
4. Cajas de carton (125)

I had stopped reading Spanish for a while in favor of a month's break of English novels as the summer wrapped
up. Now I feel back on track, reading some every morning and sometimes while my daughter does homework.
I'll pick back up on Casi una Mujer. I feel energized to have completed another book and pleased with my
increasing listening comprehension. I feel that if I started writing some, more of the vocabulary would stick.

Also, I like listening to interviews in Spanish with the authors that I'm reading or am interested in. More good
practice!    

This discussion contains 656 messages over 82 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version