656 messages over 82 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 73 ... 81 82 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6394 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 577 of 656
01 October 2012 at 1:28am | IP Logged 
Congratulations! Onneksi olkoon!
It's mainly the fact that you've already read so many, and that the chart would look less cool if i switched more to half-challenge, that keeps me from reducing or dropping my goals for books:) You're an inspiration ♥
1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4686 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 578 of 656
01 October 2012 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
Week 22: 24.8 books, 23 films (24% finished)

Film 22: Le jour se lève (Daybreak; Marcel Carné, 1939)

- Yet another "French masterpiece" that I didn't care for.

Film 23: Le hussard sur le toit (The Horeseman on the Roof; Jean-Paul Rappeneau,
1995)

- The book was a graphic and intense look at how people responded to a frightening
cholera epidemic. The movie was an insipid love story about a dashing Hussard and a
beautiful Marquessa who are pursued by Austrian assassins across Provençe. A lot of the
best parts of the book were cut, and replaced by a totally silly plot.

I need help finding good French movies!!!

Books:

Les aventures de Tintin - L'Oreille cassée,(Hergé, 1937). My second Tintin. Pure
fun to read. I keep hoping I'll find a stash of them for sale on eBay, so I won't have
to order them one by one from France.

Le père Goriot, Honoré de Balzac (1835) (300 pages) (on page 165). I'm slowly
adapting to Balzac's style. His vocabulary isn't hard, but his style is very free-
flowing and creative, and it can be hard to follow the thread. I like the plot, and
the way the action revolves around the residents of a poor pension, but I appreciate it
more intellectually than emotionally.

A lot of writers and artists whom I admire were influenced Balzac, so I want to keep on
- but I also saw a quote from Flaubert stating that he liked Balzac's vision more than
his writing style.

Edited by kanewai on 01 October 2012 at 10:40pm

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4330 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 579 of 656
02 October 2012 at 9:53am | IP Logged 
Marikki wrote:

I've now begun with German and I decided to try a new approach to reading with it. Instead of starting right away with adult books I wanted to try whether children's books would offer a nicer and softer landing to reading. So I read "The little dragon Coconut goes to school/ Der kleine Drache Kokosnuss kommt in die Schule".

I recently started reading German adult books on the Kindle. I have the Collins German-English dictionary installed, and while it's not perfect it makes reading much easier when your vocabulary is limited.

Marikki
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 5292 days ago

130 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Spanish, Swedish

Message 580 of 656
02 October 2012 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, Serpent. Kiitos!

If people knew how much time I actually spent reading in May and June they would think I'm insane, so I won't tell anybody ;)

2 persons have voted this message useful

Marikki
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 5292 days ago

130 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Spanish, Swedish

Message 581 of 656
02 October 2012 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
Marikki wrote:

I've now begun with German and I decided to try a new approach to reading with it. Instead of starting right away with adult books I wanted to try whether children's books would offer a nicer and softer landing to reading. So I read "The little dragon Coconut goes to school/ Der kleine Drache Kokosnuss kommt in die Schule".

I recently started reading German adult books on the Kindle. I have the Collins German-English dictionary installed, and while it's not perfect it makes reading much easier when your vocabulary is limited.

I got the Little Dragon book from the German e-book lending library Skoobe, but I don't think I am going to borrow more books from there because the only device you can use with them is iPad, and Skoobe's app don't have any kind of dictionary integrated. And I don't like reading books with iPad anyway.

My eInk device Sony reader came with the Collins German-English dictionary too. I haven't read any German with it yet, but I hope it is better than the Oxford Spanish dictionary. Now that my Spanish vocabulary is bigger, using the OSD is sometimes pretty frustrating.

I think it is very strange and sad that the Collins dictionary seems to be the only available German-English dictionary for e-readers but it is definitely better than nothing. An integrated dictionary makes reading so much easier.    

Edited by Marikki on 02 October 2012 at 10:22pm

Anya
Pentaglot
France
Joined 5590 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, FrenchC1, English, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German, Japanese, Hungarian, Sanskrit, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hindi

Message 582 of 656
04 October 2012 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
Update: German 14%
Read 6.2/100 books
"Grammar"
"German for 30 days"
"Methode90:Units 12-20"
"Ines meines Herzens"
"Die schonheit des augenblicks"(exibition book)
"Heute heiratet mein man"
Poetry:Goethe

Watched 32.7/100 films
TV:
News
"Galileo"
"Literature im foyer"
" Joko gegen Klaas"
"Spiegelshow"
+other tv watching
Films:
"Che"
"Empire"
"Ryans Tochter"      
"Karate kid"
"Willkomen bei den Sch'tis"
"Die Bruder Karamasow "
"Vorleser"
"Salt"
"Die legend von beowulf"
Serials
"Csi"
"Bigbentheory"
"Dokumentationsreihe: der Inn"
"Grey's anatomy"
Others: Methode90

1.9/100 pieces of writing
"German for 30 days": copying, exercises

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4330 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 583 of 656
05 October 2012 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
Knocked out by a virus and a house move in the last week or so so progress has been slow on the challenge. Hopefully I'll get back into full swing next week.

Currently reading my first full book. Hopefully I'll be able to add it to the count next week.

-----------------------
78. Rampart. (2011).

77. Dune. (1984). I remember liking this campy scifi adaption of Fred Herbert's classic by David Lynch more. Perhaps the dubbing really ruined it or I saw a particularly bad cut for German audiences; though I suspect I might have just misremembered liking it this much. In the last week I have started keeping a dictionary with me and noting down individual words that I don't understand; this is a big change. I feel I am now understanding much more now, and it's got much clearer what I do and don't understand. 6/10

76. Muriel's Wedding. (1994). Strange to hear this classic Australian movie, with its extreme Australian accents, dubbed in German. Had more difficulty understanding some of the language here than some other movies I have watched recently, but still enjoyable. The movie itself holds up well nearly 20 years later; and it has an even darker subtext that I had originally appreciated. Flee Porpoise Spit or die! 6/10.

75. Henry and June. (1990). Surprisingly good dubbing; I expected that German would clash with the Paris story, but it worked well, perhaps because the original was filmed in English anyway. My German is definitely getting better. At the moment I am watching programs with a dictionary in hand, and adding some new vocabulary to Anki as I go. Now I know amongst other things, that 'geil' means something similar to 'hot' in English. 8/10.

-----

Anya
Pentaglot
France
Joined 5590 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, FrenchC1, English, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German, Japanese, Hungarian, Sanskrit, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hindi

Message 584 of 656
07 October 2012 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
Update:Japanese 9%

Read 2/50 books
" grammar "
"Golden japanese"
"The sputnik sweet heart "

Watched 7/50 films
films:
"Idiot "
"Kozure okami"
"Yukinojo henge"
audiobook:
"gift of the mag"
others:
"Assimil:units 1-34"
"40 lecon pour parler japonais"

This discussion contains 656 messages over 82 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version