United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4686 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 441 of 656
06 July 2012 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
It was a slow week at the movies for me, but my bookshelf is growing by leaps and bounds! First the flics:

12. Danton (Andrzej Wajda, 1983) is about the conflict between Danton (Gérard Depardieu) and Robispierre (Wojciech Pszoniak) at the height of the Terror.   The movie probably works best if you know a little bit about the French Revolution ... if you don't know anything you'd probably be lost, and if you know too much you might suffer at the historical innacuracies. In this movie Robespierre had all the reptilian charm of a Sith Lord, and Danton was a jolly good man of the people - it was great watching them spar against each other at the Convention, and in front of the Tribunals, but hard to imagine them inspiring the people of Paris to overthrow the monarchy.

The movie is worth watching for Depardieu. I was able to understand a lot of his speeches without subititles. Half of the movie, however, appears to have been filmed in Polish and then poorly dubbed into French. It was very distracting, and even harder to understand.

13. Skip L'arnacoeur ("Heartbreaker," 2010) unless you really, really like Hollywood-style Romantic comedies. It's very slick, and Romain Dupris's charisma and the pretty scenery of Monte Carlo carried me through most of the movie before I realized just how bad it was. Romain is an "homme fatal" whom women can't resist, and he is hired to break up bad relationships by seducing the female half. It gets complicated when he falls for Johnny Depp's wife. The male characters spend a lot of the movie watching her with spy cams as she lounges around in her lingerie looking melancholic. She has a nymphomaniac best friend, and the only way the men can keep her off them is to knock her out with a blow to the head. I made it to the 90" mark (so that I could log it on Twitter) and then hit the eject button.

For books, I'm half way through Le Grand Meaulnes. I'll post a full review when I'm done, but so far I'd highly recommend it. It reminds me of Donna Tartt's "The Little Friend" and "The Secret History" - there's a bit of adventure, a lot of mystery, and a strong emphasis on the shifting friendships and allegiances in the classroom.

Meanwhile, my future reading list is growing in multiple directions. I went to a used book fair, and discovered an untouched shelf in back full of native French literature, discounted to ridiculous prices. And I mean ridiculous - there were paperback novels for 15 US cents. My haul:

1.La condition humaine, André Malraux (1933)
2.Le hussard sur le toit, Jean Giono (1951)
3.Vendredi ou les limbes du pacifique, Michel Tournier (1967)
4.Nadja, André Breton (1928)
5.La côté de Guermantes I, Marcel Proust
6.Phèdre, Racine (tragédie)
7.René, Chateaubriand
8.Verlaine at les poètes symbolistes
9.Les fleurs du mal, Baudelaire (choix de poèmes)
10.Les femmes savantes, Molière
11.Le bourgeois gentilhomme, Molière
12.Clair de terre, Nadja, André Breton (poésie)
13.Candide, ou l'optimisme, Voltaire
14.La symphonie pastorale, André Gide

I don't even know where to start.

I've also started exploring bandes dessinées. There's a whole new world here to discover. My two for this month (that should arrive next month) are the next Tintin, L'oreille cassée, and the first part of a hard-looking noir series, Blacksad tome 1: Quelque part entre les ombres. It was a difficult choice - I how have about twelve different series on my 'list d'envies,' and they all sound good.

Edited by kanewai on 07 July 2012 at 12:53am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Luna Moonsilver
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
lunaslanglog.wordpreRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4875 days ago

77 posts - 99 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Korean

Message 442 of 656
07 July 2012 at 12:16am | IP Logged 
Update 03
(new items in italics)

German
Books:
1) Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen
2) Harry Potter und die Kammer des Schreckens
3) Harry Potter und der Gefangene von Askaban

YAY, book three... I'm technically on six books now (shamelessly exploiting the 100
pages rule! ;D), but this one is my favourite of all the Harry Potter books.

Vārds wrote:

I found that extensive reading helps my passive vocabulary, but I still has to find a
way to activate it. For example I can recognize a word for "balustrade" in text, but
I'm not able to recall the German translation on the go.
However my Sprachgefühl is getting better - I'm starting to "feel" what sounds right
and what just doesn't sound.

I'm noticing exactly the same thing with my vocabulary, though I'm using memrise
to try and activate the words a little more. Still, I'm impressed with the progress
I've noticed - my passive skills are already much better!

Films:
1) Der König der Löwen
2) Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen
3) Harry Potter und die Kammer des Schreckens

Yep, another Harry Potter. Still, I enjoyed it and, like I said above, I'm happy to
notice the difference in my passive vocabulary - I understood most of the
conversations, even without subs! :)

Mandarin
Books:
--

-_- I don't even... I need to get my hands on a graded reader, because I'm making
no progress with this part of the challenge. I'm trying to build up my
vocabulary though; maybe that will help? :/

Films:
1-12) 宮-鎖心玉

Still watching this series... I'm nearly done now though, then I'll watch some normal
films :D.

Writing:
1) 超级挑战
2) 小红帽
3) 我的中文名字

Yay, I am having fun with the writing! The second piece is a shortened version of
Little Red Riding Hood; I say shortened, but it was about 700 characters. Still, it was
fun, if challenging. The third piece is about my Chinese name, and just squeezed past
the 200 character minimum. I do like lang-8 for posting writing on; I've had a lot of
suggestions from people and someone even corrected the whole Little Red Riding Hood
one, despite its length!

I'll come back with more interesting recommendations soon, honest! :)
1 person has voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4656 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 443 of 656
07 July 2012 at 12:52am | IP Logged 
Bulgarian:
Столичани в повече, s01 e07
Столичани в повече, s01 e08

Swedish:
studio sex (2012) - I haven't understood much, but well...

Tamise
Triglot
United Kingdom
jllrr.wordpress.com/
Joined 5040 days ago

115 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese, Spanish

Message 444 of 656
07 July 2012 at 8:34am | IP Logged 
Luna Moonsilver wrote:
-_- I don't even... I need to get my hands on a graded reader, because I'm making
no progress with this part of the challenge. I'm trying to build up my
vocabulary though; maybe that will help? :/

Have you seen either the Chinese Breeze series or the Tiantian Zhongwen series? Tiantian Zhongwen requires more vocabulary that the first levels on the Chinese Breeze series, but does include pinyin for the stories - it also has more exercises. Both seem pretty good though and come with audio.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6417 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 445 of 656
07 July 2012 at 9:03am | IP Logged 
Vārds wrote:

I found that extensive reading helps my passive vocabulary, but I still has to find a way to activate it. For example I can recognize a word for "balustrade" in text, but I'm not able to recall the German translation on the go.
However my Sprachgefühl is getting better - I'm starting to "feel" what sounds right and what just doesn't sound.

I can't say that I've ever had any use for the word "balustrade" in any language :) but I know what you mean. My passive vocabulary is growing tremendously, but I can't think of those words on my own. I haven't done much writing yet though, so I think when I really get going with that, it will help to activate a lot of those words.

My Sprachgefühl has definitely improved though. I've picked up a bit of grammar that I didn't know before and I'm starting to get a real feel for how the language is put together. I think it has helped my writing as well. I've only written a couple of entries on lang-8, but the second one needed a lot less correcting even though it was 4-5 times as long.

For those who study French: About a year ago, I read a fabulous French comic. I don't remember the French name since I read it in Norwegian, but it's probably called something along the lines of The Rabbi's Cat.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5131 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 446 of 656
07 July 2012 at 9:39am | IP Logged 
Dear all,

I have made a new periodical summary, which you find HERE.

Fantastic work, you guys!

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4706 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 447 of 656
08 July 2012 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
UPDATE #12- Half Challenge + music in French and Hindi (New item marked with a *)

Been a very busy few weeks at work, so I haven't done much for this challenge. I have watched a couple episodes of cartoons in French, which I will add in once they become enough for a full film.

But the one addition is Le Dîner de Cons.
I bought it because of the recommendations on this thread. Loved the film and laughed my head off. Sadly, the English subtitles are fixed in this edition. I should have gotten it from amazon.fr instead of amazon.co.uk. Oh well. I’ll definitely be watching this one again. And the Hindi version “Bheja Fry” is in the post.

FRENCH FILMS
1. French in Action Lessons 2-4.
2. TV5 shows (1 hour 40 mins total).
3. On choisit pas ses parents.
4. French in Action lessons 5-7.
5. Cartoons on TV5 (about 2 hours in total).
6. French in Action lessons 8-10.
7. French in Action lessons 11-13
8. French in Action lessons 14-16
9. French in Action lessons 17-19
10. État de manque.
11. Various things on TV5. Mostly cartoons.
12. Rien à Déclarer
13. Various things on TV5
*14. Le Dîner de Cons

FRENCH BOOKS
1. Assimil New French with Ease.
2. Max et Mathilde en vacances (read about 20x).
3. Rémi et le mystère de Saint-Péray (read 3.3 times).

FRENCH MUSIC
1. Françoise Hardy- “Comment Te Dire Adieu”
2. Guillaume Grande-“L’Amour est Laid”
3. Lucienne Vernay with Les Quatres Barbus- “Songs in French for Children”
4. BB Brunes- Blonde Comme Moi

HINDI FILMS

1. Dhobhi Ghat (Mumbai Diaries).
2. Coolie
3. Munna Bhai MBBS.

HINDI BOOKS

Still nothing.

LangWanderer
Diglot
Pro Member
Australia
digintoenglish.com
Joined 4335 days ago

74 posts - 97 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, French, Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 448 of 656
08 July 2012 at 12:09am | IP Logged 
UPDATE Korean

I've been watching smaller clips lots of times, rather than watching entire movies or episodes of TV shows. At my level, I don't think the latter is very effective. As a result, my list is rather piecemeal, but here goes:

Films/Audiobooks:
- 51 minutes of Talk to Me in Korean audiobooks while reading the Korean script
- TTMIK Ramyeon Talk (22 minutes) with English subtitles
- TTMIK Coffee Talk (6 minutes) x2 with Korean subs
- TTMIK Education Talk (15 minutes) x1 English subs, x2 Korean subs
- TTMIK Iyagi Lesson 7 (9.45) x1 while reading Korean script
- TTMIK Iyagi Lesson 8 (10.30) x3 while reading Korean script
- TTMIK Iyagi Lesson 51 (7.44) x1 while reading Korean script
- TTMIK Iyagi Lesson 115 (7.15) x1 while reading Korean script
- Korean radio drama from a Japanese bilingual text (KBSの韓国語ラジオドラマ) (79 minutes) while reading Japanese script
- 1 episode of Coffee Prince (60 minutes) with English subs. I don't think this was particularly efficient as I didn't understand most of it.

I can't wait to get the the level where I can just sit down and watch an entire film, learn a lot and then report it easily!

Books:
I've been reading a couple of Korean/Japanese bilingual texts but won't report them until I've finished.

Writing:
- one post on Lang-8 about blood types (혈액형) using some of the vocab from one of the Iyagi lessons

UPDATE French

I have been reading some books, but only bits at a time. I'll wait to finish them before reporting them. I've also been listening to RFI's Journal en francais facile. I'll wait until later to report them on Twitter - entering three challenges makes for quite a bit of spam from which I'd rather spare my followers!

This discussion contains 656 messages over 82 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version