United Kingdom
jllrr.wordpress.com/
Joined 5040 days ago

115 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese, Spanish

Message 241 of 656
12 May 2012 at 10:26am | IP Logged 
Week 2 Update (stuff read/watched previously in italics)

FILMS:

1. Ozamu Tezuka's Metropolis
2. Babylon 5 Season 1 Episodes 1-2
3. Babylon 3 Season 1 Episodes 3-4

4. Gremlins
5. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Enjoyed both these films, and found I understood a lot more of Harry Potter than when I last watched it in Japanese. These are films I've watched a fair amount, so I want to go for something new to me next.

BOOKS:

1. 齋藤孝のイッキによめる!名作選 小学1年生
2. Grader Readers Level 1 vols 2 and 3
+ three volumes of One Piece manga

I've counted each of the graded readers as half a book as there are quite a lot of illustrations in them. (Guess they get more dense further up the series.) I got most of these, which was a nice change from the 1 Grade book! The manga is also a bit of an easier read, though I don't get all of it yet - it does seem to be getting a bit better though.

GENERAL

A nice box of books arrived from Japan today! There are some readers for Japanese children, and a couple of books for 8-10 year olds. Some of these have furigana for all kanji, but some don't have on everything, which is good as I'll never get to reading more advanced books if don't get better at reading kanji.

Also on the book front, there's a huge second hand book sale in town this week, so I plan to go on Wednesday and see if there's any Japanese stuff. Last time I went, I got Russian and Swahili, so there might well be Japanese.
1 person has voted this message useful

microsnout
TAC 2010 Winner
Canada
microsnout.wordpress
Joined 5268 days ago

277 posts - 553 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 242 of 656
13 May 2012 at 6:39am | IP Logged 
Update #5

25/100 Films

"30 Vies", Season 1 Episodes 1-20 (20 episodes of 22 min each)

"Toute la vérité", Season 2 (20 episodes of 45 min each)
"Toute la vérité", Season 1 (20 episodes of 45 min each)

The episodes of "30 Vies" are 22 minutes thus I am using a 4:1 episode to
film ratio. At 120 episodes per season there are a lot of them to watch though.

These TV series go faster than movies I think. Its so easy to keep watching just one more episode since its only 22
or 44 minutes more and the story continues compared to a movie with new characters, storyline and a commitment
of close to 2 hours.

I am finding that at least half the time that I don't understand something it is because my mind wandered and was
thinking of something else at the same time, something I can get away with in English to some extent. I still have
a problem with people speaking angrily or with other emotions and I hate whispering.

Edited by microsnout on 13 May 2012 at 6:42am

xees
Joined 4849 days ago

28 posts - 64 votes 
Studies: Vietnamese

Message 243 of 656
13 May 2012 at 11:49am | IP Logged 
Hey it's a bit late but i wanna register!

LANGUAGE: Vietnamese

CHALLENGE: SUPER DUPER

CURRENT LEVEL: B1

COMMENTS: I think my basic conversational Vietnamese needs to be improved with richer vocabulary and more interesting phrases or mastery of the more complex sides of Vietnamese grammar. I think reading and listening like this will help expose me to new vocabulary in a clear context; this way I can pick up language chunks rather than individual words. I think the conversation piece of this is going to be easy but it's the reading which I see as the challenging part as I have to find time to sit down and reaaaaaaad.

By the way, I don't understand how to use the bot on twitter, is there anyone kind enough to give me a brief tutorial? Thanks!
2 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4656 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 244 of 656
13 May 2012 at 1:25pm | IP Logged 
Russian:
Кот-рыболов (1964)
My first movie in Russian :) Well, actually it's a short animation. Since it's on youtube, I recommend you to find 10 minutes for this pleasant, illuminating story :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKpirVi-bio

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4975 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 245 of 656
13 May 2012 at 1:43pm | IP Logged 
xees wrote:

COMMENTS: I think my basic conversational Vietnamese needs to be improved with richer vocabulary and more interesting phrases or mastery of the more complex sides of Vietnamese grammar. I think reading and listening like this will help expose me to new vocabulary in a clear context; this way I can pick up language chunks rather than individual words. I think the conversation piece of this is going to be easy but it's the reading which I see as the challenging part as I have to find time to sit down and reaaaaaaad.

By the way, I don't understand how to use the bot on twitter, is there anyone kind enough to give me a brief tutorial? Thanks!

@langchallenge #film, #ko, 94 min,

and it gave me 90 minutes to Korean score.

All the instructions are at
http://www.languagechallenge.surrealix.com/
good luck with Vietnamese!

wv girl
Diglot
United States
Joined 5036 days ago

174 posts - 330 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 246 of 656
13 May 2012 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
I finished my first Spanish book, La Casa en Mango Street, 101 pages, this morning. Perhaps the best Mother's
Day present that I'll get is that my little girl slept in long enough to let me read the last 20 pages! I looked up
lots of words and still have more to look up, even though I could understand what was going on without
stopping to do so. But one of my goals is to learn more vocabulary. For example, I could never figure out what
gruesa was from context. It wasn't that important to understand the plot, but I want to go beyond basic
comprehension. Reading becomes more enjoyable if I have the small details. I've picked up quite a few
adjectives from this small book.

So what's next? I have 2 Escalofrios that I might start. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit this, but I've never read
any of the Harry Potter books nor seen a single film in its entirety. My reading time has been limited & I've
always chosen books that interested me more than the boy wizard. However, I might check the library to see if
they have a copy in Spanish. Maybe my little girl can read the English version & we can share the experience.

One down, 49 to go!   

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6394 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 247 of 656
13 May 2012 at 3:28pm | IP Logged 
I tweeted 30 mins of German yesterday and it counted 90... I just kept watching lolol.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4706 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 248 of 656
13 May 2012 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
clumsy wrote:
xees wrote:

@langchallenge #film, #ko, 94 min,

and it gave me 90 minutes to Korean score.

All the instructions are at
http://www.languagechallenge.surrealix.com/
good luck with Vietnamese!

For most of us, it's better not to put the number of minutes. If tweet what you just mentioned, it will give you the minutes, but won't credit you with a film (as it's not long enough by the bot's standards).

This discussion contains 656 messages over 82 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version