United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6244 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 609 of 656
22 November 2012 at 7:11am | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
I completed my hundredth German film this week.

Woo hoo! I hearby register for the super shallenge. I will be doing freestyle swimming in any of the languages mentioned in my log (except for le Japonais which would make me drown if studied together with everything else). The acronym is FIGRS. My current level: this high! It's all in the log. And I don't really believe in self-assesment. I am hoping this challenge will motivate me to ...count.

Go get inspired:

reineke's log

I just saw this: "You can be at a B1 maximum when the challenge starts"

Aww, crap! Oh well, it was fun while it lasted (approximately 10 minutes).

Edited by reineke on 22 November 2012 at 8:12am

1 person has voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4485 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 610 of 656
26 November 2012 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
UPDATE - Added French book entries 9-10 and movie entry 19.5

Well, I ended up sticking it out and finishing Le Petit Nicolas. I guess it's just time to move on. Further to my
questioning whether to stick with the Dutch, as I brought up in my last update, I've just had a big development--
I'm now studying Italian in anticipation of a trip to Italy in ~5-6 months. Accordingly, I expect that Dutch is simply
going to go by the wayside, at least for the next 6 months, and my next update might also include a new
registration for a Half Super Challenge in Italian. SIGH. I'll miss you Dutch! Perhaps we'll meet again soon!

I've already started plowing through HP1 in Italian, and my French and Latin background seem to have prepared me
well.

BOOKS (French)

9-10. Le Petit Nicolas

FILMS, ETC. (French)

19.5. Madagascar 2

BOOKS (Dutch)

28. ...

FILMS, ETC. (Dutch)

24. ...

I am not entered in any Super Challenge for German, but I also am still reporting for my log:

BOOKS (German)

12. ...

FILMS, ETC. (German)

30-34. Der Prozeß (audiobook)

espejismo
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4848 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 611 of 656
26 November 2012 at 9:32pm | IP Logged 
reineke wrote:

There's also a Super Challenge for B2-C2. See this thread.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4485 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 612 of 656
27 November 2012 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
UPDATE - REGISTRATION for Italian

As I threatened in my last update, I'm going to sign up for (another) challenge now:

LANGUAGE: Italian

CHALLENGE: 50/50

LEVEL: Passive-A1/A2. Active-Total beginner.

COMMENTS: I just started Assimil Italian, and I'm on the second chapter of HP1. Having been in exactly this same
place for French 6 months ago, I'm a lot less intimidated this time around. I'm trying to study intensively for the
next 6 months in preparation for a probable trip to Italy. French seemed a lot harder when I was at this point, and
I've come really far in French, so let's see where I can get in Italian! I also have 4 decent years of high school Latin
under my belt, which might help. Unlike with French and Dutch, I plan to start counting podcasting, etc. towards
my film titles this time.

I also plan to completely neglect my Dutch challenge now in favor of Italian, but I will probably continue to do some
French, and I may come back to Dutch in 6 months, so I'm not deregistering (I've already done half of the Dutch
challenge, so I could maybe still complete it in time anyhow).

Allons-y! Erm...I mean, andiamo!

2 persons have voted this message useful

Youngbin
Diglot
Korea, South
youngbinlee.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5028 days ago

24 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: Korean*, EnglishC2
Studies: Japanese, Spanish, Mandarin

Message 613 of 656
28 November 2012 at 3:50am | IP Logged 
I'd like to register for the super challenge! It looks like a lot of fun! :D

LANGUAGE: Chinese (Mandarin)

CHALLENGE: HALF Super Challenge (100 film)

CURRENT LEVEL: A1

I'm dying to see what I would become at the end of the challenge. Since I'm really at a
beginner level, I'd like to start from Korean movies or dramas dubbed in Chinese. That'd
be certainly helpful for me to understand better. :)

Edited by Youngbin on 28 November 2012 at 3:59am

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4686 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 614 of 656
28 November 2012 at 9:17pm | IP Logged 
Month 7: 34%.   35.6 books. 32 films

I like the new graph option on the twitter site! My reading graph has a nice linear progression, after a slow start. My movie watching has been more like a sine wave. I haven't been consistent at all.

Books

30-32: Les Misérables, tome 2: Cosette. Victor Hugo, 1862 (276 p)

I googled "digressions in Les Misérables" and found pages and pages of students complaining about them. Some say that they're irrelevant and we can skip them. I find them fascinating, but also too long and too slow; they're difficult to work through. Cosette had a few 'big' passages, but lots of digressions. I'm hoping that Marius (the next book) has a bit more plot!

33-35: Harry Potter et le prisonnier d'Azkaban. J.K. Rowling, 1999 (367 p)

Thank god for Harry Potter. Sometimes when I'm reading 'literature' I feel like I don't really know French at all, that I'm just faking it. And then I think, I can read Harry Potter in French and not even need a dictionary more than two or three times a page. This is the last of the HP books I've read in English. Next up: I didn't care for the Goblet of Fire movie at all; I'm looking forward to the actual book.

current: Germinal. Émile Zola (550 p)

Zola is the second to last of the great 19th Century authors I want to attempt (Stendhal is still out there). I finished the first part (out of seven) last night. It follows the journey of Etienne, an unemployed railworker, and his first day of working in the mines, hundreds of meters below the surface. It reads like a gothic horror storry, full of lamps burning like red eyes in the shadows and images of the mine as an angry god devouring the flesh of men.

It's gripping, but hard reading. I am completely reliant on the parallel text, but honestly I don't understand a lot of the words even in English. There are a lot of technical and mine-specific terms.

One of the most haunting passages deals with the horses who live their lives in the mine. Zola treats them like real characters. There's a heart-rending scene where a new horse is lowered down into the shaft, paralyzed with fear. An older horse sniffs him, and the smell triggers buried memories of fresh air and open meadows, and a dream of a mysterious light in the sky (the sun). I've never read anything like this in 'classic' literature.

My plan now is to keep up a rotation: Harry Potter (4 to go), Les Misérables (3 to go), Classic, repeat. At some point, when I'm confident, I'll work Proust into the rotation.

Films

Fail: Poupoupidou (Nobody Else But You; Gérald Hustache-Mathieu, 2011). I'm convinced a lot of American reviewers give high ratings to foreign films that they would have hated if they were from Hollywood. This is a silly murder mystery pretending to be deep; a young starlet who is just like Marilyn Monroe dies in the woods, and an author with writer's block decides to investigate. I couldn't finish it.

Edited by kanewai on 28 November 2012 at 9:19pm

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4485 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 615 of 656
28 November 2012 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
Thank god for Harry Potter. Sometimes when I'm reading 'literature' I feel like I don't really
know French at all, that I'm just faking it.

I'm convinced a lot of American reviewers give high ratings to foreign films that they would have hated if they were
from Hollywood.

Fake until you make it, as they say. I think that's basically what the SC is all about here for most of us: read and
listen to things you don't really understand, and eventually, magically you start to understand, and you're not even
sure how it happened.

Ditto on the film reviews--there's a lot of weird stuff out there.

Love the updates!

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6244 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 616 of 656
30 November 2012 at 8:05am | IP Logged 
espejismo wrote:
reineke wrote:

There's also a Super Challenge for B2-C2. See this thread.

I saw that - on my own - and was looking for the thread I posted this for a quick gee thanks guys. I think there are too many super challenges and too many threads and updates in too many different places. Anya is going strong but so is kanewai. I lost Serpent's log - I remember seeing an awful lot of soccer matches. That wouldn't fly under TAC rules :) Some 100 books if they're the right ones are enough for most foreign language learners. Also, if one is practicing several languages I can see the person reading 300 books and not qualifying as having completed half a challenge. I would count books in any foreign language (except schoolwork). I would count fairytales if the student is starting from scratch in a difficult language (Sunja and Turkish). Maybe we can incorporate something like this within the TAC.   

I am aware there's a special thread for suggestions - and that's exactly my point:)

This discussion contains 656 messages over 82 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version