Studies: Japanese

Message 105 of 256
19 February 2013 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
W/E 2013-02-17 28h56

Audio   13:40
Vocab    7:26
Reading 0:57
Grammar 6:36

I'm managing to get more grammar covered now. I'm currently working on Minna No Nihongo
II Chapter 33. I'm also finding A Japanese Reader easier to tackle than before. Some of
the vocabulary is perhaps not not common beginner fare, but it all has to be learned
sometime anyway.

I'm managing to keep on top of memrise and Anki (vocab, grammar and kanji). I'm toying
with the idea of trying Core 6000 once I manage to get my success rate on the memrise
N4 course up to 80% or so.

I've started to go back over the various JPOD101 beginner courses. I think I'm going to
pick a season and then try to work through all of the lessons until I know all the
vocabulary and grammar for each one. (Although I said that last week and then never had
the time ...)

Edited by dampingwire on 19 February 2013 at 12:49am

1 person has voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4636 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 106 of 256
19 February 2013 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
Time is always a concern, but it looks like you are progressing nicely!

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French

Message 107 of 256
25 February 2013 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
W/E 2013-02-24 31h32

Audio   14:11
Vocab    9:20
Reading 1:47
Grammar 6:14
Other    0:37

I've managed to get through a reasonable amount of grammar this week and I've finished
Chapter 35 of Minna No Nihongo. I've re-read lesson 23 of A Japanese Reader and I've
tackled 24.

I've spent a decent amount of time with vocabulary. As well as the N5 and N4 courses on
memrise, I've started a couple of "fun" ones: N4 extra vocabulary and body parts (which
is less sinister than it sounds :-)). I've upgraded to Anki 2 and started to make use
of its decks-within-decks features to allow me to target new vocabulary whilst still
keeping the previously learned stuff refreshed. I've also started to work on the Anki
corePLUS deck, mostly to vary the vocabulary that I know.

I've started to work through some of the Lower Intermediate lessons more intensively.
That means SRSing the vocabulary, working through the text and making sure that I fully
understand it, repeatedly listening (using the line-by-line audio tool) and basically
trying to suck each lesson dry. The first lesson took ~90m and I've spent maybe 30m on
the second one (which seemed somewhat easier).

I seem to have had a lot of extra time one way and another over the last few weeks, but
I don't expect that to last ... I'm sure I'll be back to ~20h/week soon. So the extra
vocabulary learning and the intensive JPOD lesson work are definitely "optional extras"
for now. If I find the intensive lesson study helpful, I'll try to work it into my
"official" goals for March.

(Edited to fix the date)

Edited by dampingwire on 04 March 2013 at 4:21pm

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6409 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 108 of 256
26 February 2013 at 7:26pm | IP Logged 
What is CorePLUS? Does it go beyond what they have on iKnow? I assume that is the "Core" it refers to.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 109 of 256
26 February 2013 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
What is CorePLUS? Does it go beyond what they have on iKnow? I
assume that is the "Core" it refers to.

It's a pre-made shared Anki deck that I thought was based on Core 6000. The "notes"
below come directly from the deck itself. So it looks like it's more like "Core 6000 +
20,000 other words". It looks like it should keep me going for a while :-)

(I ruthlessly suspend anything that looks like I'm not going to need it for a few years
though: I want extra non-JLPT-focussed vocabulary but nothing terribly outlandish).

Quote:

This deck contains all the words and sentences from core 2000 and 6000. Words and
sentences are in the same fact so they can be included in the same card.
The deck has recently undergone a major tidy-up / re-write. As well as the core words
and sentences, there is additional vocabulary (~ 20,000 in total) taken from the the
words listed as common by Jim Breen's Edict.

Also included:

Word lists (tags) for textbooks - Genki 1&2, IATIJ and Tobira, by chapter.
A more complete set of tags for JLPT 1 - 5 (new levels)   8000+
A field listing common homophones and their definitions
A field listing if the word is 'usually kana' as stated by Edict.
A field for transitive-intransitive verb pairs, with definitions.
Edict grammar – so you can tell what kind of る verb a kore word/other word is;
noun,adj, polite, humble, honorific, abbreviation etc
Tags for a large part of the vocabulary from KO
Tags numbering RTK2 words
The other stuff from the kore spreadsheets, sentences, definitions, sound links, fields
for sorting by sentence kanji....
Sound file references in the format                (kana) – (kanji).mp3        eg:     
りょかん- 旅館.mp3   (for non-kore words).
Links to example sentences on the web - useful if plugins are not available, eg anki
online....

I find it useful to work with such a large vocabulary deck because when I come across
new words, in a text book or other source, it is easier and quicker to search for them
here, and to schedule or prioritize them, than to add them to the deck.

I recommend that you download
1. audio download
2. Japanese support (of course)
3. For example sentences, especially non-Core words, the Tatoeba plugin works with the
deck as it is.
4. To get the sound files with japanese names like りょかん- 旅館.mp3   to play, you
will have to download the custom media 2 plugin   (or got to the menus and run Tools,
Advanced, Check media database – which will rename your files). Both these options
currently working only in Anki 1.01, not 1.1x or 1.2. In 1.2 the files should play OK.
I may post a version of the deck with sound files included later.

If you wish to display stroke orders, the font called KanjiStrokeOrder is needed. You
can find it at
http://sites.google.com/site/nihilistorguk/ . Then (on Windows) put it in you your
C:\WINDOWS\fonts folder.
To search in certain fields or tags – see Anki documentation, but basically
   Meaning:tree, Expression:木, Reading:き tag:genki01, tag:genki*, table, 'table',
-tag:kore, is:new, and combinations of these sorts of searches work.
If you want to add any example sentences to the sfurigana field, make sure you put a
space at the start, otherwise the formatting is messed up. Spaces before each
kanji/furigana word also help.

The sound files for the Core2000 and 6000 words need to be obtained separately. Eg.
From other core decks at this site and then copy or move the files into your audio
folder for this deck. Alternatively, I believe you can download all the files together
- http://forum.koohii.com/viewtopic.php?id=5322  &nb sp;and search for   'Core 2k/6k Image
and Audio Files '. Links to get the other sound files can also be found at the kanji
koohi forums. Search this thread     -     ; http://forum.koohii.com/viewtopic.php?
id=7082 for 'I’ve uploaded all of the JDIC Audio Files'.   See note above about getting
them to play.

Thanks to all the people (not me) who put lots of work into it – core spreadsheets,
sound files, audio download plugin, online word lists and various anki decks from which
word lists were adapted, etc etc etc. Especially appreciate the new version of Anki
which allows overwriting of fields, and to Jim Breen for the information in his
dictionary - http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1C

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6409 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 110 of 256
27 February 2013 at 8:44am | IP Logged 
Wow! I've got to get that! I never actually did Core 2000 because I knew most of the words, so I just made a custom deck with words I didn't know, and I'm on step 300 of the Core6000, but after that... 20 000 words total! That should set me up. I imagine I wouldn't need many more words than that.

Do you know if it works in the new version of Anki (2.0 I think)? I already upgraded, but I suppose there is a way to downgrade if necessary.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 111 of 256
27 February 2013 at 10:37am | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
Do you know if it works in the new version of Anki (2.0 I think)? I
already upgraded, but I suppose there is a way to downgrade if necessary.

The exact name of the Deck (as shown on the Anki Decks page) is "Japanese corePLUS".

I downloaded sometime last year when I was running Anki 1.x. It was upgraded without
issue as part of the upgrade recently (right now I'm running 2.0.8).

I imagine you can just search for it as a shared deck and download it.

Actually I've just looked using "Get Shared" from the Anki Decks page and there's one
that looks to be identical:

https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/194665997

So I guess that it can be directly downloaded using Anki 2.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 112 of 256
04 March 2013 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
W/E 2013-03-03 26h09m

Audio   10:45
Vocab    8:23
Reading 1:16
Grammar 5:45

Audio is continuing as before. I've now been through all the non-beginner lessons so
I'm working through various seasons again. If that gets to be too repetitive I'll try
another pass through Pimsleur.

I'm now up to Chapter 39 of Minna No Nihongo and lesson 25 of A Japanese Reader. having
complained that I was finding it hard to get focussed on grammar I now seem to be
making more headway. That's partly going to be because I'm going through a chapter a
week (in detail) with my tutor so there's some incentive to stay ahead :-)

I've kept up the vocabulary, both at memrise.com and in my own Anki decks. I've changed
the way that I'm using the corePLUS deck: rather than letting it pick vocabulary on its
own I've studied the N5 and N4 tagged vocabulary in there. Once that's settled down
I'll study the N3 vocabulary, but at a slower daily rate (until I'm more confident with
the N4 vocab and feel ready to re-open the flood gates).

The intensive JPOD101 lesson work continues, in fact I'm going to write it into my
March TAC2013 goals.

This discussion contains 256 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version