Studies: Japanese

Message 113 of 256
13 March 2013 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
W/E 2013-03-10 29h05m

Audio   12:56
Vocab    3:21
Reading 8:58
Grammar 3:50

Audio is progressing as before: I'm still listening to Japanese whenever I commute; so
far I've stuck with JPOD101.

I've finished Chapter 41 of Minna no Nihongo, so I'm on track so far as the summer JLPT
exam is concerned.

Vocabulary is progressing well both at memrise and my various Anki decks. I've entered
the vocabulary from Nihongo Challenge into Anki. I've counted this time and the study
of that deck as "Reading", since it is focussed on going from kanji to meaning (even
though it happens to include a bunch of new vocabulary words). There are ~900 entries
in this deck and I've seen about 200 so far. I plan to keep the vocabulary learning
ticking over and to focus on this deck so I can get my kanji reading up to snuff.

1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French

Message 114 of 256
23 March 2013 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
Waaay behind with my updates ...

W/E 2013-03-17 33h06m

Audio   12:05
Vocab    4:52
Reading 7:58
Grammar 8:11

The reader I've been using, A Japanese Reader, uses example sentences from Essential
Japanese by S.E.Martin, so I ordered that a while ago. It arrived this week and I've
read through it all. My copy (hardback) is the 3rd printing from 1962, so not exactly
modern, however I've only noticed a few minor discrepancies with the modern text books
I've been using. It is entirely in roomaji and it doesn't seem that well organised, but
it does cover a good deal of grammar, so overall I'm glad I've been through it.

Audio and Kanji are progressing as before and (at the end of the week in question) I
was up to Chapter 45 of Minna no Nihongo.

Memrise courses and Anki decks have been kept up to date.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 115 of 256
02 April 2013 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
Still way behind with my updates :-)

W/E 2013-03-24 28h55m

Audio   15:52
Vocab    7:13
Reading 1:07
Grammar 4:43

Not much to report: I kept Anki and memrise up to date and audio is carrying on as
before.

I started to work through Japanese for Busy People II (since I have it available, it
would be a waste not to, I think).

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 116 of 256
02 April 2013 at 11:49pm | IP Logged 
Finally catching up with my updates!

Still way behind with my updates :-)

W/E 2013-03-31 26h52m

Audio   11:58
Vocab    9:44
Reading 1:13
Grammar 3:57

I've added all the new (to me) vocabulary from Japanese for Busy People II into Anki
and I've worked my way through to Lesson 10 (out of 15). I've completed all the
exercises except for the reading ones - I'm leaving those for reading practice nearer
to the N4 exam. It seems to be a far less intense course than Minna No Nihongo: there
are far fewer exercises and the grammar is not so "in your face". I think, overall,
having the variety is good for me.

I didn't do any new Minna No Nihongo chapters this week: last week I'd finished up to
Chapter 47, so that just leaves Chapters 48 (causative verbs) and 49/50 (honorific and
humble expressions). I did cover review section F and Chapter 31 with my tutor this
week though.

I've been working through my Anki decks and keeping those up to date. I've also kept
the memrise N5 and N4 courses fully watered along with a few extra ones (body parts,
some N4 supplementary vocab and the beginnings of the N3 vocab course). I've now
started to work through the N5 course kanji; I've marked a few words as "ignore" if
their kanji is (seemingly) N1/N2 or if the word is normally only written in kana (like
其れ, for example). I'll try to get all the (applicable) N5 and N4 kanji activated by
the end of April. That, together with my Anki kanji deck, should stand me in good stead
for the N4 course.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 117 of 256
09 April 2013 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
W/E 2013-04-07 26h20m

Audio:   9:17
Vocab:   6:06
Reading: 9:35
Grammar: 1:22

Audio and vocabulary progressing as usual. I've now started to enable the appropriate
kanji for the vocabulary in the memrise N5 course. Over the course of the week I've
managed to plant everything and I've started to harvest it in batches (to avoid kanji
overload in the first week).

I didn't do any grammar with Minna No Nihongo this week other than revising Chapter32
and then covering it in the lesson.

I've rearranged my Anki sentences deck to go from JP->EN. I've been mining JPOD101 BG
S2 lessons #1-#12 for vocabulary and now I'll go back and mine them for sentences too.
Hopefully I'll have managed that by the end of the next week and at that point I'll
start to use the sentences deck for additional revision.

I'm now signed up for the July JLPT N4 in London.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 118 of 256
16 April 2013 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
W/E 2013-04-14 31h22m

Audio:   15:41
Vocab:    6:22
Reading: 4:50
Grammar: 4:29

I've managed to reach the end of Japanese for Busy People II, I now just need to go
back and work through the reading sections. I also managed to cover Minna no Nihongo
Chapter 48 although I still need to work on some of the exercises.

I spent just over an hour going over JPOD101 BG S2 #1-#12, checking that all the
vocabulary had been mined and mining the relevant sentences too. Hopefully I should
manage to mine the remaining half of the series soon and then I can start to listen to
just the dialogues during my commute.

Audio has been progressing as usual and I've been continuing to listen to various
JPOD101 beginner series during the commute. As this is the 2nd (or in some cases 3rd)
time through I'm finding that I pick up a lot more and there's far less vocabulary that
I don't understand. I picker up the free PONS Japanese audio (for which a link was
posted here) and I listened to that at work. It's only 30m long and it's just a series
of words and phrases (about 1000 words) but it's reassuring to know that there are no
surprises in there.

I've started to listen to various Japanese bits on youtube (just in the background at
work). Currently clips of things like "Hello Morning". It makes a nice change from
background music.

RTK, anki and memrise are all being kept up to date.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 119 of 256
24 April 2013 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
W/E 2013-01-21 32h21m

Audio: 14:20
Vocab:   7:12
Reading: 7:26
Grammar: 3:23

I worked through all the reading (and speaking) parts of Japanese for Busy People II. I
think it's been a useful exercise and my reading speed seems to have improved. I think
I'll read through the whole thing again in a few weeks time (to give me a chance to
forget the dialogues and to finish learning all the vocabulary.

I've not mined any more lessons from JPOD101 BG S2, but I'll try to get S2 finished
next week. After that I may start on the Intermediate series and see how much that
helps: right now I can sometimes pick up bits of what's going on, but I think with a
bit more effort I could understand much more.

I finished Minna No Nihongo Chapter 48. I'll try to get to the end of the book next
week!

I've started to listen to the NHK radio news at work as background. It has the last
three or four news editions, each being about 45m long. It seems to run on a continuous
loop (so if I leave it running over lunch, it's still going when I get back).

I've switched to the JPOD101 Intermediate series audio for the commute. I still miss
quite a lot of what's going on, but I can hear the improvement from the last time I
went through this series, so I'm going to stick with it for now.

Memrise and anki are coming along. The kanji deck is now becoming fairly routine for
me: previously I'd have maybe 40 or 50 words that didn't stick first time round. Now
it's usually 10 or so. I've started to use the sentences deck but I can see some
mistakes in there so I'm going to go through each of them again and verify against the
original source (there less than 50 cards in there at the moment so that shouldn't
prove too onerous). In the general vocabulary decks I've only got about 50 words left
to see and then it'll be just reviews. On memrise I've now harvested (or marked as
"ignore") all the kanji vocabulary in the N5 course and harvested about 200 of the 600
N4 kanji. I've also harvested all the words (but not the kanji) in the N4 supplementary
course. Once all the N4 kanji have been harvested (in a week or two I guess) I'll
perhaps start to work through some of the N3 vocabulary, but at a slow pace for now.

The So-Matome N2 文法 book arrived during the week: I looked at it long enough to
remind me that there's plenty to do yet :-)

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 120 of 256
03 May 2013 at 12:50am | IP Logged 
W/E 2013-04-28 35h26m

Audio    16:11
Vocab    11:25
Reading   4:36
Grammar   3:14

I feel I've managed to get a fair bit done this week. I've been through over half of
the Japanese Picture Dictionary that I bought when I first started Japanese and I've
entered all the unknown words into Anki. I've been going through a few NHK Easy News
articles and adding that vocabulary to Anki and I've been reading a few chapters of A
Homestay In Japan.

I've been keeping Memrise watered and I've started to plough (slowly!) through some of
the new vocabulary that I've entered. I'll keep pressing on until I start to feel that
the reviews are getting on top of me. Similarly on memrise, as well as enabling more of
the N4 kanji lessons, I've been working through some more of the N3 vocabulary. I've
been through my sentences deck and checked everything against the original source so
now I just need to start to work through it regularly.

Audio is continuing as usual. I'm currently listening to JPOD101 Lower Intermediate
season 2 and I plan to keep looping through that. When I've finished mining the current
crop of Beginner series lessons, I'll turn to this intermediate season and see how much
more I can get out of it.

This discussion contains 256 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version