Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Josquin’s Language Symphony (RU, IR, 東亜)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
646 messages over 81 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 ... 80 81 Next >>
Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 113 of 646
18 June 2012 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
SUNDAY, 17 JUNE 2012

Sorry for not writing for so long, but I didn't have any time for studying Russian during the last few days. On Thursday was my mother's birthday, and on Friday my parents came to visit me in Tübingen where I'm studying. They only left this afternoon and then I had to deal with some other things. Two of my altogether four applications for scholarships have already been declined, so I will have to write some more applications this week to be sure. I will also apply for some internships to earn some money.

So, bad conditions for learning Russian. Nevertheless, I did a short review of lessons 11 and 12 today. I reread the texts and recapitulated the grammar. I didn't listen to the recordings though and I didn't do any exercises. I will be busy tomorrow, but I hope I will get back to studying Russian in the next few days. I'll keep you informed.
1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 114 of 646
25 June 2012 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
MONDAY, 25 JUNE 2012

Sorry again for not having written anything for such a long time, but I was ill the entire last week. I was absolutely in no condition to study, so there wasn't anything to report anyway. I am feeling much better now, so I could finally continue with my Russian studies today.

I repeated all of lesson 11 and 12. As usual, I am not absolutely firm in the vocabulary, but my grammar is pretty good if I don't confuse anything... I did the exercises of lesson 12, which dealt with giving the date, possessive pronouns (его, её, их vs. свой), the declension of весь and чей, and impersonal constructions. I made a very funny mistake translating impersonal constructions. I translated "Hier spricht man leise" ("Here, one talks low") with «Здесь готовят тихо», which means "Here, one cooks silently". The correct translation would have been «Здесь говорят тихо».

Finally, I took the test of lesson 12, which is a grammar review of the last six units. I scored 29 out of 34 points, so I can be quite content. I will soon proceed to lesson 13, which deals with the imperative, short forms of adjectives, and conditional sentences. I hope, this week, I will be able to work more than during the last few weeks.

Bye for now!

Edited by Josquin on 26 June 2012 at 12:43pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 115 of 646
28 June 2012 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
THURSDAY, 28 JUNE 2012

Today, I made myself acquainted with lesson 13 of my textbook.

I learned the rules for forming the imperative, the short forms of adjectives, and the conjugation of the verb мочь. The most difficult thing about the imperative and short adjectives is their stress.

The imperative form of a verb whose stem ends in a consonant takes its ending according to the accentuation of the 1st person singular. So, it's говори because of говорю́, but готовь because of гото́влю.

Similarly, the stress of short adjectives can change compared to their long form, and even the different gender forms can have different stress. So, it's коро́ткий/ая/ое/ие, but ко́роток, коротка́, коротко́, and коротки́. I also read the reading section and the dialogue, but I didn't have any time to listen to the recording.

I'm momentarily looking for a good Russian grammar book. Does anyone have a good recommendation? I have primarily been looking for German books and have been thinking about purchasing either Langenscheidt's Standardgrammatik Russisch, Ernst-Georg Kirschbaum's Grammatik der russischen Sprache, or S. A. Khavronina's Русский язык в упражнениях. But if there's a good English book about Russian grammar, I'd be happy for any suggestions.

What about Terence Wade's A Comprehensive Russian Grammar?

Edited by Josquin on 28 June 2012 at 11:21pm

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4851 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 116 of 646
28 June 2012 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
The good thing about short adjectives is that most of them are rarely used especially in
oral speech.
It is кОротко кОротки I think. Such is the pattern, like in the past tense of the verb.
Only feminine might have the shifting stress.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 117 of 646
28 June 2012 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
My textbook gives both possibilities: коротко́, коротки́ and ко́ротко, ко́ротки. If you say the latter sounds better, I'll believe you.

But stressing is my weak point in Russian anyway. Stress always seems to be there where you expected it least.

EDIT: I corrected the accent marks...

Edited by Josquin on 28 June 2012 at 11:36pm

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4851 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 118 of 646
28 June 2012 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
My textbook gives both possibilities: коротко́, коротки́ and коро́тко,
коро́тки. If you say the latter sounds better, I'll believe you.

But stressing is my weak point in Russian anyway. Stress always seems to be there where
you expected it least.

These words are not so useful anyway. The adverb коротко has the stress on the first
syllable. You can avoid them in your speech. There are certain adjectives that must be
used in the short foкm. Прав, рад, согласен, доволен.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 119 of 646
03 July 2012 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
TUESDAY, 03 JULY 2012

Hello and всем привет! Here is a short update on my Russian studies. I'm not much in the mood for studying at the moment. It's rather hot summer weather in Germany, and during the weekend two old schoolfriends of mine came to visit me. Moreover, I got a positive answer to my application for an internship in a music publishing house, so I will be busy all of September and October. Until then, I will hopefully be able to finish my current textbook and go on to some more advanced materials, maybe Assimil or something like that.

So, Russian: I reviewed lesson 13 today - the reading section, the dialogue, the rules for the imperative, and the short forms of adjectives. I also wanted to listen to the recordings and do some exercises, but I somehow ran out of time. Perhaps, I'll do that tomorrow. I couldn't help but take a sneak peek at lesson 14. It will deal with the verbal aspects in the future tense, cardinal numbers bigger than 40, and the use of нужен.

Am I mistaken or do perfective verbs actually have even more irregular conjugations than imperfective verbs? I thought I had seen it all in Icelandic, but Russian really offers a new quality of irregularity. It seems nearly impossible to derive the future tense form of a perfective verb from its given infinitive. Does one get used to this?

Oh, and by the way. I would still be grateful, if anybody could recommend a good Russian grammar book. Otherwise, I'll be going for the Kirschbaum, I think. But I will postpone the purchase until after my birthday in August anyway. I have just bought me a new smartphone and will have to save some money now.

До свидания!

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4851 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 120 of 646
03 July 2012 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
TUESDAY, 03 JULY 2012

Am I mistaken or do perfective verbs actually have even more irregular conjugations
than imperfective verbs? I thought I had seen it all in Icelandic, but Russian really
offers a new quality of irregularity. It seems nearly impossible to derive the future
tense form of a perfective verb from its given infinitive. Does one get used to this?

Oh, and by the way. I would still be grateful, if anybody could recommend a good
Russian grammar book. Otherwise, I'll be going for the Kirschbaum, I think. But
I will postpone the purchase until after my birthday in August anyway. I have just
bought me a new smartphone and will have to save some money now.

До свидания!

You are mistaken. Russian perfective verbs have the same level of irregularity as the
imperfective ones. Their future is essentially the same as imperfective present.
The problem is that Russian verbs have two stems: the stem of the infinitive and the
stem of the present tense.

This discussion contains 646 messages over 81 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version