Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Josquin’s Language Symphony (RU, IR, 東亜)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
646 messages over 81 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 45 ... 80 81 Next >>
Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 353 of 646
18 March 2013 at 7:01am | IP Logged 
Кстати говоря, хорошая мысль - читать уже известные произведения в переводе на русский.
Из английской литературы я очень любил в школе "Хроники Нарнии" на английском, потому что
они очень легко читались.
1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 354 of 646
18 March 2013 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
Да, это наверное лучшая идея, чем начать с Шолоховым. Может быть, Толкин тоже легко читается, но только "Хоббит". Помню, что "Властелин колец" был скорее трудный. Ну, мы увидим.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 355 of 646
18 March 2013 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
Начинать с Шолохова.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 356 of 646
20 March 2013 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
Very impressed with your progress thus far! At least on the written side of things, you blow my head clean off!

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 357 of 646
20 March 2013 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, tarvos, but when it comes to talking, you're far ahead of me. For me, writing has always been my preferred means of communciation, no matter in what language. In addition, I'm a grammar geek (or rather fetishist) and I already said that I'm a perfectionist. So yes, no false modesty here, but just thank you! At our next Skype session, you'll talk in fluent Russian again while I'll be struggling to get what you said. So, I guess we're even! ;)

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 358 of 646
21 March 2013 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
THURSDAY, 21 MARCH 2013

A short update for today. In Russian, I'm still working on the text about the history of Novgorod. There were so many new words in it that I didn't manage to go on to the next text, which will be about popular Russian superstitions. I'm still doing my Anki reviews though, which go fairly well.

In Gaelic, I'm still working on unit 12, but I already had a look at unit 13, too. The main theme of both units is numbers and counting, which is a very complicated matter in Gaelic. There is a traditional vigesimal counting system and a modern decimal one. Moreover, there are several lenition rules to be obeyed and most compound numbers surround the noun that's being counted which takes time getting used to. In addition, several numbers take the singular of the noun instead of the plural, which is also confusing. I'll have to work on that.

In Japanese, I'm still busy with unit 2. I have reviewed the new kana and kanji and am now learning the new expressions. The focus of the first units is on basic greetings and introductions, and grammar is more or less explained by the way. However, I cheated a bit and looked at grammar explanations in some later units, so I know at least what all those verb endings (-masu, -mashita, -masen) mean.

A final note for my teammates from Clan Lugus: I booked a five-day trip to Ireland the day before yesterday. I'll visit a school friend of mine in Cork over Whitsun and I'll also see Dublin. Unfortunately, there's no time to go to the Gaeltacht, but maybe I can spot some Irish nevertheless. It would be great to hear this language actually spoken and maybe I could draw some parallels to Scottish Gaelic. In any case, I'm very much looking forward to my trip to the motherland of the Gaels!

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4398 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 359 of 646
26 March 2013 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
That's great news about your trip to Ireland! You'll certainly see plenty of Irish
written on the street, as well as the occasional conversation. If you're looking for a
quiet drink away from the touristy Temple Bar, Club Chonradh na Gaeilge (the Irish Club)
on Harcourt street is a place where you'll definitely hear the language. I have my final
exams from the week beginning the 20th of May, but I might be free for a few hours if you
need a guide, give me a PM closer to the time if you wish!

On a similar note, I friend of mine from Uist in the Hebrides has offered to put me up
for a few nights during the summer. It looks like I may get the chance to return to the
beautiful Eileanan Siar, hear and speak the beautiful language as well as play some good
hearty music ;)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 360 of 646
27 March 2013 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
WEDNESDAY, 27 MARCH 2013

Thank you very much, liammcg! I'll certainly have a look at Chonradh na Gaeilge if I have the time. It looks like I will only have one day in Dublin, but I'll mail you the details via PM when I know more.

There's not much to report about my studies. I have been repeating stuff from Ну что, поехали?, Lehrbuch der schottisch-gälischen Sprache, and Colloquial Japanese, but it doesn't really deserve the predicate "studying". I was mainly busy with my job, so I didn't really have much time, and during the free time I had I was busy planning some upcoming events.

I'll be on vacation for the next one and a half weeks, but I'll take my books with me, so I hope I can report a bit more the next time. In the meantime, to all of you:

Frohe Ostern!
Happy Easter!
Joyeuses Pâques !
Buona Pasqua!
Felicem Pascham!
Glad påsk!
Vrolijk Pasen!
Gleðilega páska!
Gleðilig páskir!
Радостной Пасхи!
A' Chàisg sona!
復活祭おめでとうございます!

* Да, да, как-то рано. Я знаю...

This discussion contains 646 messages over 81 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version