Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Josquin’s Language Symphony (RU, IR, 東亜)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
646 messages over 81 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17 ... 80 81 Next >>
Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 129 of 646
26 July 2012 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
THURSDAY, 26 JULY 2012

Hooray, I'm back! After a week of working on my dissertation and reading my professor's new book, I finally managed to do some Russian this evening.

I repeated lesson 14 and then went on with lesson 15. As usual, I read the reading section and the dialogue and had a look at the grammar explanations, then I listened to the recording of the dialogue. Lesson 15 has one major topic and that is verbs of motion, which are a really complicated part of Russian grammar. Fortunately, this lesson only deals with the verbs of motion without prefixes, but the matter is nevertheless complicated enough.

Russian verbs of motion always come in pairs. Before using one of these, you have to ask yourself whether the motion has a destination or not. And even if the motion has a destination, you have to ask yourself if you go only one way or (as in The Hobbit) there and back again. This whole thing seems to be just as subtle as verbal aspects and I have heard it doesn't get better if prefixes are involved.

Other topics of the lesson are the use of the instrumental case 1) for indicating the means by which something is done and 2) after some verbs as быть, стать, называться, and работать, as well as the use of должен for indicating obligation.

It feels really good to do some Russian again. I don't know how much I will be able to do during the next few days, but I hope it will be some more than last week.

Edited by Josquin on 26 July 2012 at 11:29pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 130 of 646
06 August 2012 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
SUNDAY, 5 AUGUST 2012

As HTLAL seems to be down for an uncertain time span, I will post my new log entries here. As soon as HTLAL is restored, I will copy my entries into my original log.

I have been working on my dissertation a lot during the last week, so I didn't have time for studying Russian. However, I managed to finish my first chapter yesterday, so I decided to take a rest and to dedicate my Sunday to language study. I know the advice that it is better to study ten minutes a day than one hour once a week, but I think it's better to study one hour once a week than not to study at all.

So, I repeated lesson 15 and the verbs of motion. The whole concept reminds me of the difference between perfective and imperfective aspect. For example, ходить, ездить, бегать, летать, and плавать are used for movements in more than one direction and for movements that take place several times, so they are similar to imperfective verbs. On the other hand, идти, ехать, бежать, лететь, and плыть are used for motions in one direction and for motions that take place only once, so they are similar to perfective verbs. However, they aren't perfective verbs, because their present forms denote an action in the present and not in the future.

Well, this sounds rather complicated, but once you've wrapped your head around the whole concept it's not that bad. I think it becomes really complicated as soon as prefixes are involved, but that's fortunately not part of this lesson. So, besides recapitulating the verbs of motion, I reread the dialogue and the reading section, listened to the recording, and repeated the use of the instrumental case and of должен. Then I did the exercises. They went well, but I wished there were more possibilities to exercise the use of the verbs of motion, as I really want to get used to the concept.

So, I don't know how much studying I will be able to do next week, but I'll let you know -- hopefully back on HTLAL!

@prz_: (If you read this) How are you doing? And how are your German and Swedish studies going?

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 131 of 646
06 August 2012 at 4:53pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristina wrote:
I would really like a whole book full of exercises on the Russian verbs of motion. In French there is a series of books where you can do a massive amount of work on one particular grammar topic until you know it by heart.

I like your choice of languages by the way. After 2 years of studying Russian, I understand about as much as after 5 days on Iceland - but I guess we are only a handfull on the forum that share an interest in that particular pair of languages. I'll follow your log - hopefully soon on HTLAL again :-)

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 132 of 646
06 August 2012 at 4:53pm | IP Logged 
Tarvos wrote:
I do. That is why I read this log, Cristina ;)

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 133 of 646
06 August 2012 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for your nice words, Cristina and Tarvos! Yes, I have been thinking of buying a Russian grammar book, so I can do some more exercises, but I haven't found a good one yet. Terence Wade's grammar seems to be quite good, maybe I'll get it some time.

Yes, my choice of languages is quite special. It seems I have a soft spot for highly irregular, heavily inflecting languages that can drive you crazy... But I'm glad there are others who share this passion! ;)

Well, HTLAL seems to be back again, but I'll still wait copying the posts. Who knows how long it lasts this time?!

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 134 of 646
06 August 2012 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
Tarvos wrote:
Wade's (is that Oxford's Russian grammar?) is the one I have, but it's just grammar, no exercises.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 135 of 646
06 August 2012 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
Yes, the Oxford Russian grammar is also by Wade, but I'm thinking of the Blackwell reference grammar. There's one volume grammar explanations and one volume exercises.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 136 of 646
10 August 2012 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
FRIDAY, 10 AUGUST 2012

Okay, just a little update today.

I have been lazy during the last few days and not doing much. I have repeated lesson 15 though. The grammar is rather clear to me now (or are those verbs of motion just tricking me into believing I have understood them?), but I will have to learn the vocabulary before I can go on with lesson 16. I have already said that I hate cramming vocabulary, so you won't be surprised that I postponed this task.

However, there's some good news! I have created an Icelandic profile in the Collaborative writing subforum. If you're interested in this language, check it out. And if you already know Icelandic, maybe you can contribute to the profile. That's all for today.

Góða helgi!

This discussion contains 646 messages over 81 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version