Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Josquin’s Language Symphony (RU, IR, 東亜)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
646 messages over 81 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 64 ... 80 81 Next >>
prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4653 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 505 of 646
09 September 2013 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
There were extremely cheap round-trip tickets from the UK on Easyjet website. Unfortunately, my debet card is not supported by their website :(

Edited by prz_ on 09 September 2013 at 3:29pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 506 of 646
09 September 2013 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Are you going to continue with all the beautiful new languages too? I usually do that,
but I find it refreshing to return to French now. I haven't appreciated French the way
I have in months. I love French.

Hmm, good question. I definitely want to improve my Russian and brush up my Icelandic. I also want to go on with Japanese. I got my copy of Genki some days ago and it looks like it's a much better resource than Colloquial Japanese.

The problem is what to do with my two Celtic languages. I originally wanted to complete Lehrbuch der schottisch-gälischen Sprache and then fully concentrate on Irish, but maybe I'll keep on studying Scottish Gaelic with the materials from BBC Alba, especially the podcast "Litir do Luchd-ionnsachaidh".

On the other hand, five languages is A LOT to study and to maintain and I'm still interested in other languages such as Korean, Farsi, Swahili, Hungarian, and Mandarin. Additionally, it would be great if I found some time to brush up my other languages: French, Italian, and Swedish. So, I have to find the appropriate number of languages - when studying is still fun and not torture.

I'll try to figure that out during the next few weeks, because I also have to get my dissertation and some other projects going. But, of course, it would be a shame to study a language up to intermediate level and then let it fall completely. I'm thinking more of a long-term commitment to my languages.

@prz_: Thanks for the tip! I guess the best season for visiting Iceland is already over this year, but maybe I can find something for next summer.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 507 of 646
09 September 2013 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
Iceland is worth it.

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4653 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 508 of 646
09 September 2013 at 11:40pm | IP Logged 
It was for May and June. I felt really depressed when I wasn't able to buy those tickets :[

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 509 of 646
10 September 2013 at 12:07am | IP Logged 
Probably ideal, as July-August is high season. Not that Iceland has a high season to
speak of.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5350 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 510 of 646
10 September 2013 at 8:35am | IP Logged 
I too empathise with the desire to visit Iceland and embrace the language. I've wanted to travel there for years now, but the closest I've come is a 2-hour airport stop-over on the way to New York. Every time I write an ð sign as part of IPA transcription, my mind wanders north...

Edited by Teango on 10 September 2013 at 8:36am

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 511 of 646
13 September 2013 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
AOINE, 13Ú MEÁN FÓMHAIR 2013

A chairde,

there’s good news! I finished Colloquial Irish today, which, frankly speaking, isn’t really an achievement to be proud of. The whole course is rather chaotic: It is kind of a mixture between Assimil and a phrasebook as it doesn’t really give you vocabulary or grammar in the beginning. Instead you have to figure out the meaning of the dialogues with the help of translations. If grammar is presented at all, then it’s in an absolutely sloppy and superficial fashion.

Elementary things like the present habitual, eclipsis after prepositions, and the use of some prefixes are repeated over and over again while other important concepts like the genitive, irregular verbs, and the future tense are only briefly touched upon. And then there are things like the past habitual, the conditional, and the subjunctive which aren’t mentioned at all. Moreover, there are no real exercises.

But worst of all, every unit consists of another variation on the theme of "How to say X" and "How to express Y", which leaves you with some useful phrases but doesn’t really teach you how to use the language independently and on your own (apart from the fact that you already know how to say "I like X" from a previous unit, only this time you don't say "I like my job" but "I like these trousers").

So, I will continue my Irish journey with Mícheál Ó Siadhail’s Learning Irish. It’s a rather dry and grammar-heavy course, but maybe that’s just what I need right now: clear and concise grammar explanations and not the third variation on "How to say you like something" or "How to ask others what they’ve been doing".

Besides completing Colloquial Irish, I haven’t really been doing that much. I’m working towards finishing Lehrbuch der schottisch-gälischen Sprache as I have reached unit 37 of 40 now. The main topic of the last units is expressing the passive voice, which can be rendered in several ways, mainly by using verb endings (which is the "classical" way) or periphrastic constructions with "to go", "to get" or "to be after doing something" (which is the more colloquial way).

I’m going to start working on Genki soon, and I will do some Russian and Icelandic now and then without really "studying" it. When I have finished my Gaelic textbook, I will decide on how to continue. I could start a new language if I feel like it (e.g. have another go at Welsh), but I don’t really know yet. On the other hand, I could really use some time for refreshing my "old" languages.

Concerning going to Iceland: I found really cheap flight tickets from London to Reykjavík on easyjet.com, but there are no round trips. A cheap flight alone wouldn’t really pay off as I also had to stay somewhere, which probably wouldn’t be that cheap. But I don’t really know if I want to go to Iceland next year at all. Maybe, I will return to Ireland instead, favourably combined with a stay in the Gaeltacht.
2 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4653 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 

Message 512 of 646
13 September 2013 at 6:33pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
A cheap flight alone wouldn’t really pay off as I also had to stay somewhere, which probably wouldn’t be that cheap.

Meh, hitch-hiking, warm clothes and good sleeping bag. Voilà!

This discussion contains 646 messages over 81 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version