Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Josquin’s Language Symphony (RU, IR, 東亜)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
646 messages over 81 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 51 ... 80 81 Next >>
Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 401 of 646
28 April 2013 at 2:50pm | IP Logged 
SUNDAY, 28 APRIL 2013

I have mainly been busy with Japanese again. I had originally planned only to dabble in this language, but it has really worked its charms on me. So, I finished unit 3 without learning every detail about the complicated terms for family relations (I can repeat that later) and moved on to unit 4, which covers shopping, adjectives, the different ways of expressing "to be", and bigger numbers. I have only read the first dialogue by now.

Other than that, I have finished unit 16 in Lehrbuch der schottisch-gälischen Sprache and started with unit 17. It deals with irregular verbs in the preterite tense and forming subordinate clauses. The grammar of this unit is quite easy, so I'll only have to learn the vocabulary.

Concerning Russian, I did my Anki reviews and wrote a text on lang-8 about my childhood dream of becoming a historian, which was well recieved. One question for Марк: I got the following sentence as correction: Но так и не стал историком. How exactly does this sentence translate? I wanted to say something like "But I never became a historian" and used никогда, which obviously was wrong. So what exactly does так и mean here?

Other than that, I'm lying a bit behind in my Russian studies. I have neither listened to Russian Podcast lately nor have I learned the new vocabulary from my bilingual reader. Well, blame Japanese for being such an awesome language!

PS: I haven't done anything in Icelandic for some time now. It has become less important for the moment, as I'm too busy with Japanese.

Edited by Josquin on 28 April 2013 at 3:12pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4851 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 402 of 646
28 April 2013 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
Почему вариант с "никогда" неправилен? Грамматически это верно, но, просто, "никогда"
предполагает, что вы уже и не можете стать. "Никогда", наверное, можно будет сказать
после вашей смерти. По смыслу в данном случае "никогда" не очень подходит. "Так" здесь
можно заменить на "все-таки", наверное.
"Никогда" - наречие частоты действия, оно находится в одном ряду с наречиями "всегда",
"иногда" и др. А вы просто не стали историком.

Edited by Марк on 28 April 2013 at 4:05pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 403 of 646
28 April 2013 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
Спасибо, теперь понимаю. Если он вас интересует, вот исправленный текст:

Моя мечта

Когда я был маленьким мальчиком, я мечтал стать учёным. Мне хотелось быть знаменитым историком и исследовать, как жили люди в прошлых веках. Я мечтал выкопать погибнувшие города, найти дворцы греческих королей и открыть могилы египетских фараонов. Но так и не стал историком. Закончив лицей, я начал изучать историю, но скоро понял, что историки не открывают неизвестные города и дворцы. История отказалась скучной! Поэтому я освоил другую специальность и стал музыковедом, потому что также люблю музыку. Теперь я исследую, не как жили люди, а как играли на инструментах, как пели и особенно как сочиняли музыку. Мне очень нравится моя профессия, значит моя мечта наконец сбылась.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4851 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 404 of 646
28 April 2013 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
Спасибо, теперь понимаю. Если вас интересует исправленный текст, вот
он:

Моя мечта

Когда я был маленьким мальчиком, я мечтал стать учёным. Мне хотелось быть знаменитым
историком и исследовать, как жили люди в прошлых веках. Я мечтал выкопать погибшие
города, найти дворцы греческих королей и открыть могилы египетских фараонов. Но я так и
не стал историком. Закончив лицей, я начал изучать историю, но скоро понял, что
историки не открывают неизвестные города и дворцы. История оказалась скучной! Поэтому
я освоил другую специальность и стал музыковедом, потому что также люблю музыку. Теперь
я исследую, не как жили люди, а как играли на инструментах, как пели и особенно как
сочиняли музыку. Мне очень нравится моя профессия, значит моя мечта наконец сбылась.

Местоимения могут заменять только упоминавшиеся слова. Всегда сначала употребляется
существительное (например, "текст"), а потом - местоимение (например, "он").

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 405 of 646
01 May 2013 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
WEDNESDAY, 01 MAY 2013

I've registered for the 6 Week Challenge for the first time in history, which means that I'll probably update my log less frequently than I used to. During the next six weeks, I want to concentrate on studying languages, so I'll have less time for writing here. I registered for Japanese, but I'll also continue studying my other languages.

Русский

I finally managed to enter all the words from Господин Великий Новгород into Anki. My next big task will be doing the same for Чёрная кошка и пустое ведро, the fourth text in my bilingual reader. Other than that, I relistened to an episode of Russian Podcast and read the fifth text in my reader: Княгиня Ольга.

Gàidhlig

I repeated units 16 and 17 in Lehrbuch der schottisch-gälischen Sprache and started to work on unit 18. It's about more irregular verbs in the preterite tense and using question words. Gaelic questions are a little bit similar to the French est-ce que construction, because almost every interrogative in Gaelic is followed by a relative clause:
Ciamar a tha thu? --> Comment est-ce que tu es ? --> How is it that you are? --> How are you?/Comment vas-tu ?

Íslenska

I finally did some Icelandic again. I read two excerpts from Grettis Saga and Hrólfs Saga Kraka in Gordon's Introduction to Old Norse. I could understand them fairly well, but had to look up some words now and then in order to get more than the pure gist of the story.

日本語

I continued working on unit 4 in Colloquial Japanese. The main topic I learned today was how to use adjectives in affirmative and negative sentences. There are two types of adjectives in Japanese: true adjectives with the ending -い (-i) and na-adjectives that are formed by adding the particle な (na) to a noun. True adjectives change their ending to -く (-ku) in negative sentences, while na-adjectives always lose their particle if used as a predicate before the copula. Moreover, I learned the various ways of expressing 'to be' in Japanese, which are using the copula です (desu) in sentences like 'A is B' or the verbs あります (arimasu) and います (imasu) in order to indicate location.

Nederlands

Yesterday's inhuldiging of King Willem-Alexander was a good opportunity for practising my passive understanding of Dutch. For some reason, the German interpreter could not be heard on TV while Willem gave his inaugural speech, so I could listen to the king's native Dutch. I understood about 80 % with the odd unknown word now and then. Unfortunately, the broadcasters noticed their mistake after a while and Willem was dubbed over by the interpreter. Too bad! But it reminded me of why I stopped studying Dutch. Although I can't speak it very well, I understand too much of it without having to learn anything. In fact, it's the same 'problem' I have with Spanish, only 'worse'.

Edited by Josquin on 01 May 2013 at 6:47pm

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4851 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 406 of 646
01 May 2013 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:

"Die Straßen verlaufen rechtwinklig/im rechten Winkel." ("The streets run
rectangularly/form a right angle.")

А можно сказать по-немецки Die rechtwinkligen Straßen или Die Straßen sind rechtwinklig?

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 407 of 646
01 May 2013 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
I didn't watch the inhuldiging - I don't care - but the king (and the royal family in
general) speak very clear Dutch, especially at formal occasions like this (although even
they drop the n at the ends of the word!). The family is famed for their posh, slightly
slow intonation (and this accent is made fun of quite often, because a lot of people
think it sounds very pompous).

But the problem is that this is probably the closest you are going to get to standard
Dutch, because good luck finding a standard speaker of Dutch. 9 out of 10 people have an
accent. Actually 10/10 do.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 408 of 646
01 May 2013 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
Okay, then it's probably the same situation as in Germany. Only intellectuals and actors speak real Hochdeutsch, everyone else has a more or less perceivable regional accent. So, I probably wouldn't be able to understand a Frisian fisherman or a Brabantian farmer if they bumbled along in their regional accents at full speed, but at least Standard Dutch is quite easy for me. In fact, it's a bit similar to my proficiency in Swiss German: I understand most of it if spoken clearly, but I can't speak it for the life of me.

Марк wrote:
А можно сказать по-немецки Die rechtwinkligen Straßen или Die Straßen sind rechtwinklig?

After giving it a second thought, I doubt it now. "Die Straßen sind rechtwinklig" would mean every single street was rectangular, which wouldn't make any sense. The best expression would be "Die Straßen verlaufen im rechten Winkel" or "Die Straßen verlaufen rechtwinklig zueinander".

In fact, I'd like to drop this topic now, because I obviously just used a sloppy expression without thinking too much about it.

This discussion contains 646 messages over 81 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version